Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

pentacon 29mm/2,8 --- Why are one border unsharp?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: pentacon 29mm/2,8 --- Why are one border unsharp? Reply with quote

Good day!

A question:

I have two copys, both are unsharp on one side, good sharpness in the center and on other side, unsing aperture 5,6 or 8,
by using aperture 16 or 22, all is sharp, include the dust on the sensor Sad

why ???

Is this a focus-problem or disturbances into the lens?

The 6 blades are silver, is this a source of blurring?

I will test the pentacon again and show the pictures.
I must use a good hood, becouse the blades are reflecting so much.

What do you mean about this effect?

regards Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentacon 2.8/29 is a cheap lens with a cheap build. The copy variation is an issue. My first copy was so horrible that I had to sell it. My second copy is ok and I am keeping it. The positive side is that the lens is so cheap that one can afford to try several in order to find a good one.

if your problem is identical with two different lenses, however, I would investigate other possibilities also, such as possibly defective adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio is right, and the main problem is misalignment of lenses elements : lens element could be cut un-centered or if not, badly placed in the barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

adapter works good by other lenses, must be the lenses, the glass

it´s ok, the price is low,

but why is the lens sharp by aperture 16 or 22 ???

regards peter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padiej wrote:

but why is the lens sharp by aperture 16 or 22 ???

Because you use only the very central portion of the glass.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the Meyer versions of the 29/2.8 and 30/3.5 have better QC than their pentacon counterpart.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On many lenses Meyer version is better than Pentacon, Pentacon was driven by Mr. Honecker trully Smile Built quality most of them crapier than Meyer and sometimes optical quality too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon and meyer - the same maker with different brand for marketing- used the same glases (not schott like zeiss). The first - meyer- had better built and in the cases of the "same" lens (ie orestegon and pentacon 29mm F/2,Cool that have differents optical's rendition, it may occur in the poor built of pentacon way and in the different rendition of the MC glasses in comparation with the single coat ones (remember here that some lenses rendition not be improved with the MC, although the contrast may be better. Some designers said the the mc coat need a reformulation of some design because, among others causes, altered the distance and reflexion of the elements of the lens, and some design don't support this changes without less qality).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all !

We can resume:

Meyer-Lenses are on a higher level
(-yesterday I tested the Lydith 3,5/30 - it is better then pentacon 29mm)

my Pentacon 29mm are half-lenses - I have to cut one border of the picture to get sharpness over all

Laughing

When the rain in austria is over (we have a kind of monsun-rain), then I will make a test meyer 30- pentacon 29- takimar 28

regards Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Pentacon and meyer - the same maker with different brand for marketing

Actually, this is not how I know it - as far as I know, Meyer became a part of VEB Pentacon (around 1968 if I remember correctly).

VEB Pentacon was the result of a fusion of several small DDR photographic companies, and it was a separate entity from Meyer, until it "ate" Meyer in 1968.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, my inside test, becouse the rain is so massive

Pictures 100%

I have two pentacons to sell Very Happy

The pentacons are for the rack, they are duds.

The bigger pentacons are good, leastwise a success

and the meyer lydith 30/3,5 (zebra) - a dream, I like it, is a good lense, all is sharp

There is a big difference between pentacon and meyer, I see, too.

Thank you, for helping!

regards Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon 29mm is a very good lens, you must find the right way to use it:

respectfully Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padiej wrote:
Pentacon 29mm is a very good lens, you must find the right way to use it:

respectfully Peter

It's not much use as a doorstop unless you hammer an eight-inch nail down through it into the floor. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can concur that the Meyer Lydith is very nice lens, it's almost sharper than the 35mm Flek (I must do some tests just for fun). Actually I have pretty a crush on Meyer lenses, they're so undervalued but they always delivered more than I expected from them.