Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

D700 - first impressions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: D700 - first impressions Reply with quote

The deed is done and my credit card is melting.

I'm quite sad to see the D200 go and wish I could have afforded to keep it as a second body. I'll miss the DX crop factor with the 300mm, and to a lesser extent with the 500mm mirror. It's served me well and at ISO 100-200 Image quality was excellent, pretty good at 400 and useable at 800. Dynamic range wasn't bad at lower ISO's either.

Anyway, no looking back (well just a couple of things)...

Minor annoyances with the D700 (based on the shop display model - mine's still in the box). The card slot cover is basically the same type as the Canon 5d - push and slide rather than the lever lock the D200 had. I'm sure it's more secure than it seems, but psychologically the lock seems better.

Non-CPU lens data set up. It uses the same system that the D300 uses which is great if you only use 9 MF lenses, but slightly slower to set up than the D200, as you assign a combination of focal length and aperture a slot. The difference is difficult to explain but it's only a minor annoyance.

Big improvements over the D200:

The viewfinder is bright and large! I never considered the D200's dim, but this is superb!

LCD - wow! Sharp 3" detailed LCD viewable from greater angles.

Better control dial. I'm not sure I really need 51 focus points, but it'll be a breeze moving around them.

I only had a look at a couple of jpegs I shot in store, but first impressions are that ISO 6400 was much better than ISO 1600 on the D200...

I can't wait until I've got the battery charged and a lens on it...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm! congrats Richard! full frame! Very Happy
I have to wait february for the price of 7D to stabilize
Will burn some negative till then
I wait for more reports of the D700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Richard!

You'll love Full Frame
The lenses you have will take on extra personality Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will use this cam to its best abilities!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, oh, oh,,,

You have done it before me, I will get one in October in Tokyo hopefully.

I thought you can register up to 20 non-CPU lenses for D700, is it not?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Richard! I can't wait for some nice city shoots!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the only camera body that drives me crazy.

I cant wait to see some samples.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am now left with only one digital body, the 5D.
I am really missing the second digital body for things like shooting the dancers, where I don't have the time for switching lenses on a single body.
As soon as I can afford it again, I will buy a second digital body.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Richard - nice move. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Oh, oh, oh,,,

You have done it before me, I will get one in October in Tokyo hopefully.

I thought you can register up to 20 non-CPU lenses for D700, is it not?

I confess I've not read the manual, but from the menu it looks like only 9 at a time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
mmm! congrats Richard! full frame! Very Happy
I have to wait february for the price of 7D to stabilize
Will burn some negative till then
I wait for more reports of the D700

It's going to be interesting to see what Canon do release. IQ wise the Canon 5D is still excellent at low-mid ISO's.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One nice improvement on the D200 for manual users is the improved focus confirmation. Rather than just the on, off or flashing light you also get arrows showing whether you're out of focus infront or behind. Combined with the closely packed 51 focus points, it should make precise focus for macro work very nice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a lens on it!

Now that the D90 has come out I'm torn between the D90 and D700 as my next camera. I for one will NOT miss my D200 when I get to replace it. It has too many problems for me to really like it.

D90 video mode sounds GOOD to me.
D700 Low noise sounds good, full frame sounds good but I might miss the crop factor. I guess the perfect set for me would be a d700 and a d90 for backup or for the wife..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand missing the crop factor Confused
For must of us we will not be making "big" print enlargements
The resolution of this camera is well into a range where you can simply "crop" for the crop factor Wink
Better to have real corners and use of the full lens don't you think?
Maybe I'm missing something.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I don't understand missing the crop factor Confused
For must of us we will not be making "big" print enlargements
The resolution of this camera is well into a range where you can simply "crop" for the crop factor Wink
Better to have real corners and use of the full lens don't you think?
Maybe I'm missing something.

Well, I now only own a full frame, and there is something where I miss the crop factor - it is to be able to obtain high magnification with small portable lenses when you are photographing live events outdoors. One thing is to shoot with a Sonnar 180 another is to use a Sonnar 135, which is easier to carry, easier to focus and less noticeable. Of course the quality of the full frame is better and you are right that you can get a crop factor frame by simply cropping the full frame Smile however you don't get the same feeling when you photograph, and feeling the image is important at least for me, to prevent it to become too cerebral/calculated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cropping a full frame may be the same but I don't see how loosing half my pixels in cropping is going give the same results. six megapixel cropped image vs a 12mp image from my d200. I think the only place I'll see the diference is on prints larger than 8x10. Seldom print over 8x10 so it may not make much difference. I'd like to know before I spend a lot of money though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my attempts at bird photography had been any good I'd have probably gone for a D300 rather than the D700 for the crop factor.

Took a few shots yesterday in RAW. Got home and discovered D700 NEF's not supported by Elements yet...

I've got a 60 day version of Capture NX to trial, but won't get a chance to install that until later in the week.