Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Does anyone still shoot polaroid film backs?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Does anyone still shoot polaroid film backs? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I realise polaroid film backs for cameras like the Contax 645 and Mamiya RZ67 were originally designed so you can take a test shot before loading roll film. Does anyone shoot instant film for more than just test shots?

I just sold my Contax 645 but bought a Mamiya RZ polaroid back for my RZ67 Pro II. I've ordered some Fuji FP100C and some of the recently discontinued Fuji FP3000B B&W instant film (arrived today! - below). I hope to shoot this as part of my portraiture work for wedding film photography and model fashion photography. I've looked online but not many people seem to use it in as an artform unless they are using a land camera.

Fuji FP-3000B by MatthewOsbornePhotography_, on Flickr

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks

Here is my proposed plan if interested - http://matthewosbornephotography.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/mamiya-rz-polaroid-project/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you use your digital camera for test shots to find what aperture to set on the film camera ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Polaroid back with my Kiev 88 for a while. I managed to only take stupid pictures with them: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=33666&view=previous and nothing very serious. I took the Kiev to a few parties with the B&W fast film and would hand the pictures out. People thought it was somewhat cool but it was more of a way to start a conversation. It was expensive for such a small picture and most of the actual film wasn't exposed on a 6x6 back (similar for the 6x7) so in my view it was somewhat wasteful.

Maybe if you sort out how to get a negative out of the deal it would be worth it. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Couldn't you use your digital camera for test shots to find what aperture to set on the film camera ?

He does not want to proof the "real" picture with it. He wants the Polariod to be the final product.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

He does not want to proof the "real" picture with it. He wants the Polariod to be the final product.

Ah! Well I tried a polaroid back for my Rb67 about 25 years ago and for me, thought what was the point for a small print, when I can use a flashmeter for indoor shots with a flash set up. Out door shots with experience I could get the exposure right so couldn't see the reason for a polaroid back then either...so sold it for £100.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaroid backs were used to check things like lighting setups, poses etc, never for a finished image.

That said, the 3x4 Polaroid backs for 4x5 cameras can produce decent images, but in 6x7, waste of time really.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some photographers used large format Polaroids for special processing like dye transfer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used it or my UV work some time ago on Hasselblad, but gave up on it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Using a polaroid camera for test shots.. Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Exactly!! I won't be using my polaroid for test shots. It is too expensive for that plus I have a digital camera with LCD display. Yes if the film camera was a new to me purchase then yes a test shot would check ot all works but after that I would use a digital camera.

I'm really looking for people that use them other than for test shots..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I had a Polaroid back with my Kiev 88 for a while. I managed to only take stupid pictures with them: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=33666&view=previous and nothing very serious. I took the Kiev to a few parties with the B&W fast film and would hand the pictures out. People thought it was somewhat cool but it was more of a way to start a conversation. It was expensive for such a small picture and most of the actual film wasn't exposed on a 6x6 back (similar for the 6x7) so in my view it was somewhat wasteful.

Maybe if you sort out how to get a negative out of the deal it would be worth it. Good luck!

Thanks for the link. I often shoot with an ARAX-CM (Kiev 8Cool.. great little camera! I have the Vega 120mm lens too but tend to favourite the Mir 65mm f3.5. I didn't realise you could get film backs for a Kiev 88!

I had a Contax 645 film back and was disappointed by the tiny 6x4.5 image on the polaroid back. The 6x7 will be better but obviously wont fill the whole film, it gives a 7x7 image in the centre.

Yes my plan is to use bleach the negatives to scan as well as have the original to give to a client (for the novelty factor). Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Using a polaroid camera for test shots.. Reply with quote

MatthewOsbornePhotography wrote:

Example of paper transfer with large format Polaroid:

The process is actually rather easy:

http://sarahwichlacz.com/?p=5

If I had a Polaroid, I'd try it for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both Polaroid backs for my RB67 and a Land Camera. I enjoy using both. I remember being part of a group of friends shooting another friends wedding. I loaded up the RB with FP-3000B for the church and got some very good shots of the bride and her father entering, and then the couple walking back up the aisle at the end. The massive surprise for the guests and the bride was that I was able to nip back to the reception ahead of the couple and I was able to lay out the physical Polaroid prints across a table. That's a big advantage over digital where everyone is looking at the rear screen!

FP-3000B really holds the detail well, it's a very sharp print and can give a lot of detail when scanned. It's a far superior emulsion to the FP-100C, and I'm sad they're discontinuing it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Using a polaroid camera for test shots.. Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Example of paper transfer with large format Polaroid:

The process is actually rather easy:

http://sarahwichlacz.com/?p=5

If I had a Polaroid, I'd try it for sure.

I was about to mention this but Orio beat me to it. Its an interesting way to create unique art. Of course the finished result can be scanned in and printed large. Your only problem is the crop.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:
I have both Polaroid backs for my RB67 and a Land Camera. I enjoy using both. I remember being part of a group of friends shooting another friends wedding. I loaded up the RB with FP-3000B for the church and got some very good shots of the bride and her father entering, and then the couple walking back up the aisle at the end. The massive surprise for the guests and the bride was that I was able to nip back to the reception ahead of the couple and I was able to lay out the physical Polaroid prints across a table. That's a big advantage over digital where everyone is looking at the rear screen!

FP-3000B really holds the detail well, it's a very sharp print and can give a lot of detail when scanned. It's a far superior emulsion to the FP-100C, and I'm sad they're discontinuing it.

Great photos George, thanks for sharing. Yes this is exactly how I would like to use the Polaroid back. I've bought 2x FP-100c & 2x FP-3000B but as a 90% black and white shooter (whether digital or film) I think I should probably stock up on FB-3000B while I can. I really wish I had got into it a few years earlier when B&W instant film was more readily available.

I will share some samples once i've taken some shots. Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. I really wish I had got into it a few years earlier when B&W instant film was more readily available.

I will share some samples once i've taken some shots. Cheers

I'm keeping an eye on the Impossible Project to see when they bring stuff out I might be interested in. Also, this group are working something http://www.flickr.com/groups/new55
I'm intrigued by pressing Instax larger size to doing something useful too, and it's more of a match for MF backs, so you might wish to follow that up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I took the Kiev to a few parties with the B&W fast film and would hand the pictures out. People thought it was somewhat cool but it was more of a way to start a conversation. It was expensive for such a small picture

Cheaper than buying them drinks anyhow? Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have (untested) Kiev back and no Polaroids :P
E6 expensive enough