Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens values
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Lens values Reply with quote

How do you see the value of old lenses developing in the future. I wonder if new technology will make them more desirable and useable or maybe finish them off for good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell. Mirrorless cameras boost the sales of old lenses. At the same time certain lenses decrease in value because of brands like samyang.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The values fell enormously with the introduction of digital SLRs. It's then when I bought the most of what I have Smile
In the last 2-3 years, the values have raised considerably, thanks to the success of mirrorless and to the fact that now
even the big magazines are starting to write about use of old lenses with adapters.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Orio I see more and more articles in big magazines about adapting and using old lenses. And the manual Samyang and Zeiss lenses are able to persuade more people to give it a try - probably with other cheaper used lenses first.
And the Petzval DSLR lens birth, and Helios 40-2 re-birth seems all like manual lenses are sought after.

Furthermore more and more people search for special characteristiv lenses like the Meyer Trioplan, Helios 40, Petzval...

I think there will be raising prices the next two years, but don't guess whats happen after this time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The values fell enormously with the introduction of digital SLRs. It's then when I bought the most of what I have Smile
In the last 2-3 years, the values have raised considerably, thanks to the success of mirrorless and to the fact that now
even the big magazines are starting to write about use of old lenses with adapters.

Exactly! And we are also a little guilty. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the love of a well made tool is something that may well prolong the life of manual lens values. I personaly have no great love for the latest 'APP' that will allow me to instantly do this or that. There is no substitute for a well made thing that you need skill to use, and most of the bloody lenses i have bought so far need a considerable Amount of that!. However, I just cant let go of the desire to own these lovely old lenses that look so much more 'tech' and interesting than the new stuff. The lens that got me hooked was the Canon 50mm f1.8 fl . What a beautifull object, even if you are not into photography, you would probably want one Smile The modern world is moving away from such fabulous mechanicle things... so, I think manual lenses will grow in value way beyond current expectations, simply becouse nothing like them is likely to be made in the future.

I just love em Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, one needs to look for rare Leica lenses to find the truly outrageous; how about just under 27 thousand USD for a 35/1.4 (and that´s the starting bid):
http://auktion.lpfoto.se/auk/w.Object?inSiteLang=SWEDISH&inC=LP&inA=20130509_1747&inO=404

If vintage SLR lenses can attract a similar cult following, we might have a gold mine sitting in our cupboards...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think SLR lenses may have hit, or just about hit their (post camera shop) peak. M42, Exakta, etc. hit their slump about five years ago; The presence of DSLR cameras, and online marketplaces which made "rare" lenses considerably less rare meant a lot of old lenses and cameras became almost worthless. If you bought a lot of lenses then you might have made a good investment for now, but if you're buying now you probably won't see anything like the increase in value in five years as was seen from five years ago up until now.

The advancement of full frame digital might cause a rise in standard lenses I think, but maybe also a drop in prices of wide angles, at least of the older ones which tend to have pretty bad corner performance. I think a lot of people may also prefer to just go with new ultra-wide lenses than gamble on any of the vintage ultra-wides, many of which didn't perform that great when new. Full frame might inspire higher prices for long lenses though - maybe even all of those cheap 135s might be worth more than $10 in the future. Surprised

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed May 04, 2016 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which only shows it's all Monopoly money and the only thing worth having is something solid to sell/trade or build with.