Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zorki-4 two shutter time wheels?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Zorki-4 two shutter time wheels? Reply with quote

I got a Zorki-4 for cheap money, in order to use it in situations where I don't want to risk my expensive Ikon.
I don't understand how the shutter time selector works, it seems to have two wheels??
A small wheel on top, with times from 1/60 to 1/1000 plus B pose
A large wheel on bottom, with times from 0 (?) to 20
How do I switch from one to the other? I am totally lost.
The only thing I know is that I need to cock the shutter before changing shutter time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the shutter speeds from 1 sec to 1/1000th are on the top dial. The bottom dial adjusts the flash synchronisation. If you can only see speeds from 1/60th it might be because the printing has got worn away . . .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
All the shutter speeds from 1 sec to 1/1000th are on the top dial. The bottom dial adjusts the flash synchronisation. If you can only see speeds from 1/60th it might be because the printing has got worn away . . .

Ah, I see. Now that you mention it, I can now see faint faded signs of worn out print!
Thanks for solving the issue!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had seen the older ones/Leicas with slow-speed dials and had thought the lower numbers on the second Zorki dial were that - but no. Irrespective of that, the variable flash sync, while no doubt useful in the days of different types of magnesium bulb, can be ignored now. I've not used mine with flash at all though, so I just assume the flash delay can be set to zero with electronic flash.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My newly acquired Zorki 2C has a flash sync timer under the shutter speed dial. For electronic flash set the timer to 0 i.e no delay, the other speeds are the delay in th's of a second.

As someone pointed out different flash bulbs had different burn times. On a couple of my '57 collection cameras there are three sync times coded to the popular bulbs of the 50's

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Orio,

the Zorki-4, if well maintained, is capable of very fine results.

It's very important not to change shutter speeds if the shutter is not cocked.

The instructions manual is on http://www.butkus.org/chinon/russian/zorki/zorki.htm

I like the Zorki-4, although I consider the Kiev rangefinder cameras (if made earlier than 1975) as the best ex-USSR 35 mm. photographic instrument.

All the best,

Enzo (E.L.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmar Lang wrote:

It's very important not to change shutter speeds if the shutter is not cocked.
Enzo (E.L.)

Absolutely !
It can destroy mechanism.

Another thing is to set the lens to min focusing distance before unscrewing it from the body. Same to mount it back.
Else it can fool the rangefinder.