Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon D700 - High ISO samples (1600-6400)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Nikon D700 - High ISO samples (1600-6400) Reply with quote

In case anyone'sinterested in how this performs at high ISOs here are three test shots from yesterday evening (early dusk). All are unedited, straight from the camera with noise reduction turned off. Taken with a 105/4 micro-nikkor, handheld.

ISO 1600:

ISO 3200:

(p.s. the white spots on the left are out of focus flies not dust or artifacts !)

ISO 6400:

And to properly show the difference three 100% crops. These are taken from the bottom left hand corner - I tried to get a bit that was pretty much in focus and had both detail and light shadow amongst the leaves.

ISO 1600:

ISO 3200:

ISO 6400:

I've yet to try the extended high-ISO's - 800 ISO and lower appear effectively noiseless.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked ISO 6400 like ISO 800 or 400 on Olympus E-1, E-300 Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... the 6400 ISO is really useable!
This shows the power of the new breed of processors.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow congrats! full frame paradise!
now you can make photography even in the UK Cool
can you show the crop at 100 iso to compare the details on the flower & leaf
sorry I mean 200 iso Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow... the 6400 ISO is really useable!
This shows the power of the new breed of processors.

Orio - Yes I think 6400 would still produce pretty good A3 prints, no problem for A4.

A lot of it's due to the sensor - spreading 12mp across a full frame sensor helps a lot (the Canon 5D, proved that and upto 800 ISO despite the sensor being two years older than the D3/D700 design is arguably it's equal in terms of resolution and low noise). I'm guessing it's the advances in processor design that have pushed useable high resolutions up so high though.

It's going to be interesting to see how well noise can be managed with the rumoured 24mp full-frame sensors.

Last edited by Richard_D on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
wow congrats! full frame paradise!
now you can make photography even in the UK Cool
can you show the crop at 100 iso to compare the details on the flower & leaf
sorry I mean 200 iso Rolling Eyes

Poilu - I didn't take any shots lower than 1600, but I'll post a crop of something similar at 200 soon. To my eyes from base resolution to 800 ISO the resolution/noise performance is pretty much the same as the Canon 5D - i.e. as near noiseless as you can get.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Shocked ISO 6400 like ISO 800 or 400 on Olympus E-1, E-300 Embarassed

Yes it blows away my D200 too - I would say it's over three stops better than my D200 and over one stop better than the D300.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:

Orio - Yes I think 6400 would still produce pretty good A3 prints, no problem for A4.
A lot of it's due to the sensor - spreading 12mp across a full frame sensor helps a lot (the Canon 5D, proved that and upto 800 ISO despite the sensor being two years older than the D3/D700 design is arguably it's equal in terms of resolution and low noise). I'm guessing it's the advances in processor design that have pushed useable high resolutions up so high though.

I think that my 5D's 800 ISO looks like your D700's 3200 ISO and my 5D's 1600 ISO looks incomparably worse than your D700's 6400 ISO.

I think it can be said that the D700 looks two full stops better than the 5D at medium-high ISO and, I don't know, maybe 4 stops better at highest ISO.

Since the resolution and the sensor sizes of the two cameras are nearly the same, I think it's fairly safe to say that the advancement is to be credited on the new processors.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.........(no word)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick test of the extreme:

ISO 25600 (with noise reduction on high):

100% crop:

It might have been better with the noise reduction off and converted to B&W to lose the colour noise, another experiment, another time.

It's barely useable, but I guess in an emergency photo journalists might get away with it for newspaper work...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Great news this will change a lot of things for many
Those who prefer slow zooms will have there day
as will us who use primes and available light
Wow! I hope the Canon Digic IV is up to this level of performance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is incredible!!! Wow! What a performance! Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing output at 'normal' ISOs - never would have believed that high range possible not so long ago. ISO25600 Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Just a quick test of the extreme: ISO 25600 (with noise reduction on high)

Wowowow Shocked it must be like using a night sight. Is this your own camera Richard? Have you tried it in really low light or at night?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not use the 25000 ISO except if I was a journalist working in extreme conditions like Richard said.
The real advancement is to have a 6400 ISO that looks more or less like a 800 ISO of the previous breed of cameras.
Being able to use a 6400 ISO such as the one shown here would be perfect for me, I wouldn't need really more.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Richard_D wrote:
Just a quick test of the extreme: ISO 25600 (with noise reduction on high)

Wowowow Shocked it must be like using a night sight. Is this your own camera Richard? Have you tried it in really low light or at night?

Hi Peter - I've had a play in the Cathedral, where tripods and flash are banned and got very useable shots at 3200 - I didn't try any higher or in real darkness. I've only had the camera since Monday so I'm still experimenting.