Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carnaval de Forchies
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Carnaval de Forchies Reply with quote

Little Belgium is not as bright as Orio's Italy but we also have carnival !

I went to the carnival of Forchies near Charleroi and followed a group of "Gilles".

The Gille wears a traditional costume stuffed with straw and a heavy hat made with ostrich feathers.They launch oranges for luck [Zenitar defished]

They are followed by a band ...

... and by the children and women (only men can be Gille)

Some cutties ...

... or not Evil or Very Mad

[All pics except the first one made with Jupiter 9]
I had a hard time focusing because it was very cold and the russian grease of the Jupiter lived to its reputation Sad It is now relubed et focuses smoothly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots - thanks for sharing your traditions

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whahahaha... the last one can't possibly be wearing a medal of Miss Forchies? Laughing Laughing

I like your series, especially the second picture. You can see it was very cold (or schnaps?).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fun (despite girl #2's expression Smile Smile ). I really like #2 the trumpeter. Thanks

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotomachi wrote:
Whahahaha... the last one can't possibly be wearing a medal of Miss Forchies?

Very Happy The medal just means they participated to the Carnival

Quote:
I like your series, especially the second picture. You can see it was very cold (or schnaps?).

Thanks ! It was very cold AND there was a lot of Pequet (belgian flavor of the Jenever http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenever) Some girls are wearing little barrels filled with Pequet and sell glasses of it. And, of course, there was beer Very Happy Ever seen a belgian gathering without beer ? Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, Jieffe!
My favs are 2 and 6, but all of them are very nice. Sharpness and colour are remarkable. That's the power of Jupiter-9!.
Congrats,
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice series Jieffe
the jup gave superb colors & contrast

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I see some Carnival action from somewhere else! Very Happy

Thanks for sharing, I loved them, loved the faces and the colours. I am happy to see that in Belgium too the people has not completely lost the pleasure of getting together in the streets and having fun. This is great.

I think that one of the diseases of our age is the increasing misintended sense of privacy for which people get off work and into homes and close the world outside. So social relations remains only those in the work environment. In some bad cases, in residential blocks, streets are empty and people walking are looked at badly. This is so sad. We have to defend the traditions like the Carnival that bind us to our ancient times, when people still knew what used to be living together.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed. Nice to see people having fun in the streets.
May I ask you and Orio which role alcohol plays during your celebrations?
Here in Germany I have the impression that it plays a too big role by far.
Man people have forgotten that "carneval" is about celebrating together to chase the dark spirits of winter away and to enjoy the last days before the Lenten season. They rather think it is a contest who can get drunk the fastest! And this is what I loath about German "Karneval".

Last edited by LucisPictor on Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos jieffe, what did you use as a replacement lube in the J9?
I remember being in Antwerp drinking Jenever into the small hours, a guy behind me stopped talking mid sentence and collapsed off his bar stool on the floor, I haven't touched it since then! I always thought those high bar stools were a bad idea!

The only "festival" we have here at these times are old Eglish types like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haxey_Hood I went many years ago and it is quite a site seeing 200 men pushing a leather stick around a village! Good English ale plays a large part in this "carnival" Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
May I ask you and Orio which role alcohol pays during your celebrations?

Unfortunately, alcohol plays an important role Sad Many people are drunk at the end of the day in most public celebrations. Around here, we have many Napoleonian re-enactments where I've seen the most drunk people of my life (they could barely walk).
As a photographer and a responsible driver, I don't drink more then a few pints on these occasions... but I still manage to have fun Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Absolutely zero!
The Carnevale is, traditionally, a feast of the intelligence and wit.
See the Carnival of Venice, which is always accompanied by theatrical representations of the Biennale, and art exhibitions.
It is a real cultural event.

In the countryside, where I live, Carnevale is more the feast for the whole family, I would say the last remaining moment in the society of today where all people from 1 to 99 years of age meet in the streets and have fun together, like it used to happen in ancient Rome or in the Middle Ages.
We have lots of music, dance, laughter, lots of corianders, traditional food, soft drinks for the children, the only alcohol is, sometimes, a glass of good farmers wine.
Doesn't it show from my pictures? I didn't select, or leave out, anything. What you see there is all that happens.

Alcohol, and the consequent violence, is completely absent from the tradition and the spirit of the Carnevale.

Last edited by Orio on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Thanks for the photos jieffe, what did you use as a replacement lube in the J9?

After reading a few forums, I choose what was available in my DIY store, that is, bike chain lubricant. It comes as a spray and give a kind of jelly. I spray some on a tissue then use my fingertip to lightly coat the helicoid.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking set of pics, Jieffe. That Jupiter renders nicely. I do like the cute older woman there, but I'm not to sure about the faux hippy at the end Surprised

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
bike chain lubricant
interesting do you have a product name?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Quote:
bike chain lubricant

I'm not back at home until monday. I'll check the name asap.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Finally I see some Carnival action from somewhere else! Very Happy

I may get to the Nice Carnevale this weekend. Its quite different, massive animated figures on trucks, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Absolutely zero!
The Carnevale is, traditionally, a feast of the intelligence and wit.
See the Carnival of Venice, which is always accompanied by theatrical representations of the Biennale, and art exhibitions.
It is a real cultural event.

In the countryside, where I live, Carnevale is more the feast for the whole family, I would say the last remaining moment in the society of today where all people from 1 to 99 years of age meet in the streets and have fun together, like it used to happen in ancient Rome or in the Middle Ages.
We have lots of music, dance, laughter, lots of corianders, traditional food, soft drinks for the children, the only alcohol is, sometimes, a glass of good farmers wine.
Doesn't it show from my pictures? I didn't select, or leave out, anything. What you see there is all that happens.

Alcohol, and the consequent violence, is completely absent from the tradition and the spirit of the Carnevale.

This is great! And yes, it does show in your pictures! That's one reason why I love them a lot.
Such a Carnevale I would also love!

It is very different here... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent series - the last is my favorite.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
hacksawbob wrote:
Quote:
bike chain lubricant

I'm not back at home until monday. I'll check the name asap.

As promised ... it is a product made in France called "Puck". Said to "be adapted to chains and mecanism having to sustain bad and changing weather" (in french, it says temperature variations too).
http://www.sico.net/guisarme/frame_fiche.php?ficheID=A02308&version=EN

Mhhhhhh .... "Puck" by "Sico" Confused Not sure they realised Laughing