Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: New Camera Reply with quote

Well, I committed to a Rolleiflex SLR. Shocked

The camera is here via Rollei Company, where they did a CLA and bench-tested the functions and electrical systems last November. I have the certificate.

I am in the process of ordering a Makro-Planar HF 120/5.6, and a Distagon HFT 40/4.

I only hope I can do this piece of equipment justice. It's a well-built camera to say the least.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Terrific camera !!!

plus

Terrific lenses !!!!!!

plus

Terrific photographer !!!!!!!!!

If there's someone who can make justice to this equipment, it is you!

And knowing your picture style by now... you will LOVE the Planar 80mm. About as 3D as it can get.

-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry
That camera is the most beautiful, lucky, and most success promised of any I have ever seen. It could not be in better hands. I wish you all the best of luck and serendipity with your new gig. Very Happy Just curious, where are you going to plug the charger into. You have some secret power outlets in the forest. Wink

Warmest regards
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS!!

Terrific camera !!!

plus

Terrific lenses !!!!!!

plus

Terrific photographer !!!!!!!!!

And knowing your picture style by now... you will LOVE the Planar 80mm. About as 3D as it can get.

-

Great Orio! I did a fair amount of "homework" on this. The 6006 was the right combination of manual control that I like, yet does have a very good metering system for some of the more difficult lighting situations. I looked at 6008's, 6002's, etc. But the 6006 won me over for that moderate simplicity, yet enough good functions to do the job. I especially like the manual mirror lockup and DOF preview.

I also like that a manual is not even necessary, as all functions are evident right away.

The 6006 line has had a bit of a "rap" about the electrical systems; so that is why I paid for the bench-test calibration and electrical function testing, along with the CLA. Hopefully, it will last. It certainly SEEMS extremely integrated and SOLID.

I had heard nothing but good things about the lenses, even about the "standard" Planar HFT 80/2.8, so I am hopeful that it is nice and sharp, but mostly that it has a "personality".

I also have heard very good reports on the 40 Distagon wide-angle, and the 120 Makro-Planar.

The biggest driver of all for me remains the 6x6 format, which I love, in conjunction with the waist-level aspect of viewing, which is the best way to view a scene for me.

The gear is a bit intimidating. Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Larry
That camera is the most beautiful, lucky, and most success promised of any I have ever seen. It could not be in better hands. I wish you all the best of luck and serendipity with your new gig. Very Happy Just curious, where are you going to plug the charger into. You have some secret power outlets in the forest. Wink

Warmest regards
Andy

Thank you so much for the encouragement Andy. I certainly feel it's a good camera, but I'll find out soon enough. I have been rather surprised at the ergonomics. It seems to fit "in hand" like a glove. I've held a fellow photographer's Rolleiflex before, but had forgotten over the past 20 years how nice it felt then.

Well, I picked up three new batteries with it, so I hope I don't have to go find a power outlet somewhere in the bark of a Douglas Fir!

Regards to you as well, Andy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Larry
I just did some quick looking around online. It seems there is some really nice glass for this rig. Once again Congratulations!! I can't wait to see some results Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

I had heard nothing but good things about the lenses, even about the "standard" Planar HFT 80/2.8, so I am hopeful that it is nice and sharp, but mostly that it has a "personality".

It will fit your style perfectly.
You and I have similar composition styles, in that we don't use very often the wide open aperture effects, unless really required by the subject. Both you and I prefer to give depth to the scenes by some stopping down, and not to sacrifice large portions of the scene to bokeh blur, when possible.
This is also my style when shooting landscapes.
For this reason, I am sure that you will love the Planar.
I have no experience on this specific Planar, but all the Planars that I have, behave the same way (and Zeiss much cares about giving lenses a constantly reliable performance).
Planars are not the ideal lenses for those who like to play with huge bokeh, but are the perfect lenses for those who like the 3D effect - and I know that you do.

Quote:
I also have heard very good reports on the 40 Distagon wide-angle, and the 120 Makro-Planar.

Yes, I'm sure of that. You just can't go wrong with these lenses. You don't seem to do much architecture but should the occasion happen, you will certainly appreciate the Distagon for that.
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your budget allows, try to get a Sonnar 150.
It is simply the most terrific lens that I ever saw.
I myself have planned to get one in the future (distant future), even if I don't have a Hassy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, big congratulations for such a nice acquisition!.
It's a dream camera, no doubt, and for sure you will squeeze the most out of it.
I look forward for your first pictures Wink
Enjoy it!.

(BTW, what about weight?. Would it add more to your mountain climbing photographic luggage?).

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Laurence, you left me look like this Shocked Congratulations !!!

Can be attached to the camera a digital back (later, not now Smile ) ? May be in 2-3 years the prices for those will drop, a little, a little more.

I like the idea of heaving three components like in the film era: the camera, the lens and the film/digital back's sensor. This way, even cleaning the sensor will be more easy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I was just about to write exactly that!!

Congratulations, Larry!
You deserve this camera and this great camera deserves you.
I am happy for you and am looking forward to many fantastic shots!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Laurence!
Will wait to see your square marvels

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:

Can be attached to the camera a digital back (later, not now Smile ) ?

Yes, if one has the money, Phase One provides a digital back.
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokks a dream piece of kit and I know you'll stretch it's superb performance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Larry, big congratulations for such a nice acquisition!.
It's a dream camera, no doubt, and for sure you will squeeze the most out of it.
I look forward for your first pictures Wink
Enjoy it!.

(BTW, what about weight?. Would it add more to your mountain climbing photographic luggage?).

Jes.

Thanks Jes! Regarding weight, that was a consideration in relation to my hiking.

After thinking for a while, I figured that about 75% of my shots are within just a few miles of the automobile. The remaining 25% are certainly out for several days of hiking - and in those long hikes my Yashicamat and/or 35mm system is more than adequate. So, in reality, this is a tool for those majority of times when I don't have to carry too far. I think the decision is still a good one (at least I hope so).

Cheers! Laurence (Larry)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
Well, Laurence, you left me look like this Shocked Congratulations !!!

Can be attached to the camera a digital back (later, not now Smile ) ? May be in 2-3 years the prices for those will drop, a little, a little more.

I like the idea of heaving three components like in the film era: the camera, the lens and the film/digital back's sensor. This way, even cleaning the sensor will be more easy.

I see your point exactly, about having various tools, whether they be film or digital.

In the case of this model, there will probably not be a digital back available. However, even in 2-3 years time, I still think that a digital back for a Rollei 6008 will be cost prohibitive for me.

Thanks for commenting, Montecarlo!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice piece of kit, Larry. I look forward to seeing some pics from you using it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
Sweet rig Larry. Can't wait to see what you can produce...

Thanks Chris. It's another tool, and hopefully it will be a good one. I'm certainly not "abandoning" my other cameras, they are still my mainstay for a percentage of my shooting.

By the way, your DT Tacoma shots are STUNNING.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Orio wrote:

I was just about to write exactly that!!

Congratulations, Larry!
You deserve this camera and this great camera deserves you.
I am happy for you and am looking forward to many fantastic shots!

Thanks as always Carsten! I do think it is a fine piece of gear, and am anxious to try it out. It won't make me any better, but at least I'll have the feel of a quality camera in my hand! Confused

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Congrats Laurence!
Will wait to see your square marvels

Hey poilu! Thank you for commenting! I hope I can obtain some good "square shots" with this equipment!