Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Industar-61 M42, first shots with the Pentax K100D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Industar-61 M42, first shots with the Pentax K100D Reply with quote

Now that I got the Pentax-K to M42 adapter, I have no excuse to try all the M42 lenses.
Yesterday I went to my usual "rendez-vous" with my son's basketball match.
We've to arrive three quarters of an hour before the match begins, so I use that time to walk around the pavillion and shot to whatever animal or vegetal specimen I can find there.
I tried to use the Av mode, taking into account to raise EV +1,5, according what I've been told recently. At ISO 200 and the Industar 61 wide open ( 2.8 ) the Pentax was giving shutter speeds of 1/2000 to 1/4000...

Some unretouched samples wide open, notice the characteristic bokeh:

This one was taken to show the impact of the 6Mpix sensor, (100% crop downwards)

This is the 100% crop of the rightside flower:

At f8, the sharpness and blue saturation are remarkable:

These pictures have been converted to JPEG with Picassa (yes, I know it's not the best tool, but it's quick and dirty for easy useage), but unretouched otherwise. Picassa loses the EXIF data when converting from RAW, (one more reason to migrate to another tool).

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb test Jes. I see you don't have any focus problem with the K100
What about shooting the basketball match ? That could be interesting !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Superb test Jes. I see you don't have any focus problem with the K100
What about shooting the basketball match ? That could be interesting !

You're right, Poilu, focus seems not to be a problem with the Pentax. Light metering could be... I need to work more with this camera. But the results are promising, even being a 6Mpix one.

Basket?. The pavilion is quite dark. There is only public access from one of the narrow sides of the court, because there are three playing fields side by side. I did some testing at ISO 1600, but MF is not well suited for sports. Subjects change too fast and since I was forced to use the lens wide open because the light, most (if not all) pictures suffered from focusing because the narrow DOF. Besides this, the noise at 1600 is noticeable, (not as much as in the Canon), so no good results.

Just a sample to show what I mean:

I would need a 1.4 lens (at least) and/or someone holding a torch/flashgun from one of the sides. My faster M42 is 1.8...

Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Very nice samples!

Thanks, Richard!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito

I had read that the Industar was at least equal to the Volna-6 and your shots certainly seem to confirm that. This makes them two very good buys. Thanks for the samples.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples, and indicative that you have a great tool in the K100D for your MF lenses. Wow, that building is VERY sharp looking, and seems to have some personality from the lens...a sort of creamy richness.

Thanks for showing these samples, Jes!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #2 and #4, great takes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Great samples, and indicative that you have a great tool in the K100D for your MF lenses. Wow, that building is VERY sharp looking, and seems to have some personality from the lens...a sort of creamy richness.

Larry, here you have a 100% crop of the same picture:

(The noise in the sky is probably due to the conversion from RAW to JPEG made by Picasa. In this laptop I've no other tool to watch Pentax RAW...)

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good for a 100% crop! Russians almost never fail Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great Jes. It looks like this camera is a perfect candidate for MF and m42 in particular. I know what you mean about learning the metering habits. I experienced the similar issues with the canon. Of course it is old hat now after just a short time. Enjoy and keep us posted. Smile

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Industar-61 M42, first shots with the Pentax K100D Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Now that I got the Pentax-K to M42 adapter, I have no excuse to try all the M42 lenses.
I tried to use the Av mode, taking into account to raise EV +1,5, according what I've been told recently.

Jes.

If you shortcut the electrical contacts on your camera's mount with e.g. an aluminium foil ( which M42 lenses due to their smaller diameter usually don't do ) the camera will expose correctly and dial in of +1,5 bias is not required.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Industar-61 M42, first shots with the Pentax K100D Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Jesito wrote:
I tried to use the Av mode, taking into account to raise EV +1,5, according what I've been told recently.

Jes.

If you shortcut the electrical contacts on your camera's mount with e.g. an aluminium foil ( which M42 lenses due to their smaller diameter usually don't do ) the camera will expose correctly and dial in of +1,5 bias is not required.

Thanks for the clue, kuuan, but shortcircuiting contacts is a thing that frightens me a lot...
Probably it would be necessary only to jumper two of those pins. I will look for info on the contacts in the Pentax to see which signals carry each of them....

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industar-61 lz + OLYMPUS E-300 :

full-size photo:
http://oly43club.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=59

http://oly43club.ru/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite impressive...

Is this what is called a "photographic eye" Wink?

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks VGR, I like nice happenings like this
Jes that's a nice way of using the Industar Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
thanks VGR, I like nice happenings like this
Jes that's a nice way of using the Industar Very Happy

Don't tempt me, recall that I'm a sinner man...

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Laurence wrote:

Larry, here you have a 100% crop of the same picture:

(The noise in the sky is probably due to the conversion from RAW to JPEG made by Picasa. In this laptop I've no other tool to watch Pentax RAW...)

Jes.

Considering that 'blue sky' in general is extremely difficult to resolve properly with a digital sensor, this one ROCKS! Even at the crop, the lines are sharp and clean.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Industar-61 M42, first shots with the Pentax K100D Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
kuuan wrote:
Jesito wrote:

Jes.

Thanks for the clue, kuuan, but shortcircuiting contacts is a thing that frightens me a lot...
Probably it would be necessary only to jumper two of those pins. I will look for info on the contacts in the Pentax to see which signals carry each of them....

Jes.

I've just come across this video which shows it being done. At 3min 33secs.
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=OBObcQuydfw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crop shows me that there is a lot of promise with this combination. VERY nice. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Industar-61 M42, first shots with the Pentax K100D Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

I've just come across this video which shows it being done. At 3min 33secs.
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=OBObcQuydfw

Dave, thanks a lot!. The video is quite illustrative, (even I miss some audio clues). If I've understood properly, the issue is to cross the two rightmost pins with some kind of metal shim...

Jes.