Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do Practica cameras have M42 screw mount?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Do Practica cameras have M42 screw mount? Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am looking for a film camera Sad
Got a few M42 MF lenses so I prefer M42 mount camera.
Is Practica one of them?
What else are there?
cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this link for those that are M42:

http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~aab900/photography/cameras/cameras.htm

There are some (newer) that have a special bayonet mount, so stick to
the above list.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks Bill.
Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, a russian Zenith could also do the job and they are quite cheap. I got a Zenith 122 to do the same (having a M42 body to use the lenses) with film), and yesterday I finished my first roll.
For sure, if you can find a Pentax Spotmatic would be much better....
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

It depends. For me the Spotmatic simply has the wrong ergonomics. You need two hands to work with a Spotmatic and only one for a Praktica. Any Praktica from the MTL or TL series will be good. I've a whole bunc around here, mostly got them for free when buying a M42 lens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Zenit EM, it feels great.
My Praktica L is a "raw" camera, nothing but a mirror and a shutter. Wink
But this shutter closes with a loud "clonk". I don't like that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

I am watching one on eBay Wink
It's Spotmatic SP II. Any good?

LucisPictor wrote:
I love my Zenit EM, it feels great.
My Praktica L is a "raw" camera, nothing but a mirror and a shutter. Wink
But this shutter closes with a loud "clonk". I don't like that.

Sad I just bought a "clonk" with a Meyer lens. I just paid for the lens Very Happy
I am also watching an MLT3. Hope this one is okay.

Thanks all.

cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get an M42-PB adapter for the Praktica bayonet cameras.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, I have at least 10 pcs Praktica camera let me know if you need one of them.If anybody else need please also let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem only is that mailin it to Sydney will be very expensive. I also have many Praktica's left over. They were the main camera for many European photographers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13 GBP postage cost to Australia.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Ed, I have at least 10 pcs Praktica camera let me know if you need one of them.If anybody else need please also let me know.

Thanks Attila Very Happy Very tempting but I have to refrain. Sad
I already bought 2 Prakticas.
They are like Helios lenses - you can collect them all series Confused without going broke Wink

cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to warm up an old thread,
but after reading I became curious and just saw a remarkable choice of beautiful cameras with attractive lenses and much more for little money..
wow!
Is there any site with information about older Praktica bodies?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
sorry to warm up an old thread

You don't have to apologize for this! I prefer if messages about subjects that have been already discussed, are opened as follow-ups of existing thread rather than as new thread every time. This makes the archive tidier and easier to manage, also to be searched.

kuuan wrote:
Is there any site with information about older Praktica bodies?

Try there:
http://www.praktica-collector.de/

-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And others:
http://www.praktica-users.com/index2.html
Manuals:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/praktica.htm (see below for B series)
but beware: there are two main kinds of prakticas: with M42 screw thread/mount and with bayonet mount like these: http://praktica-b.org/ known as B series prakticas. Also you can use an adapter like bob955i said to use M42 lenses on B-Prakticas.

I don't know which one would be better. About reliabity I think the japanese cameras would be a better choice. I've got a Porst (Cosina 1000) Reflex TL of which I'm very content.

Please see the Links section for more informations (links) Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:

Please see the Links section for more informations (links) Smile

Speaking of which: how is that we don't have a section there for M42 camera and lenses? Or, at least, a section for Prakticas, which are a big part of M42 cameras.

-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also
http://home.tiscali.nl/~ferdix/index.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Speaking of which: how is that we don't have a section there for M42 camera and lenses? Or, at least, a section for Prakticas, which are a big part of M42 cameras.

-

I'll think and see how to organize them. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From personal experience, the Praktica bayonet mount cameras are good but there are a couple of caveats in that there is less of a lens choice in PB mount than M42, the M42-PB adapters don't seem crop up too often, and while you can fit a motorwind to the PB bodies, the shutter isn't really up to it - I had a BC-1 that worked perfectly until I fitted the winder and after that, the shutter jammed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
From personal experience, the Praktica bayonet mount cameras are good but there are a couple of caveats in that there is less of a lens choice in PB mount than M42, the M42-PB adapters don't seem crop up too often, and while you can fit a motorwind to the PB bodies, the shutter isn't really up to it - I had a BC-1 that worked perfectly until I fitted the winder and after that, the shutter jammed.

Pitty that there are only Praktica cameras with the PB bayonet and that its lenses can not be adapted (or very hardly) to other cameras. Some of them are great optics.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
bob955i wrote:

Pitty that there are only Praktica cameras with the PB bayonet and that its lenses can not be adapted (or very hardly) to other cameras. Some of them are great optics.

I'm sure I've come across a web article about PB fitting PK with a bit of Dremeling. The register's the same, but the lens didn't lock. Probably a bit of a hassle though, and if the lens couldn't be made secure it would certainly fall off sooner or later.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I'm sure I've come across a web article about PB fitting PK with a bit of Dremeling. The register's the same, but the lens didn't lock. Probably a bit of a hassle though, and if the lens couldn't be made secure it would certainly fall off sooner or later.

I've seen that site/page too - I think the guy was Japanese.

I have adapted PK rear lens caps to fit PB but I'm not too keen on the butchering of lenses in general unless the surgery can be reversed.

That and there's far more choice in M42.