Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First time with 1.2 lens. Zuiko 55/1.2 photos and thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: First time with 1.2 lens. Zuiko 55/1.2 photos and thoughts Reply with quote

I recently got this lens in fantastic shape for peanuts. Im a bokeh lover so here are my thoughts:

This lens doesnt like day light at all Smile. Ive got hood on it all the time but in the daylight (open spaces, no shadows) this lens is pretty poor to my liking. Im talking wide open of course, havent even tried it stopped down because i got it for the 1.2. Photos seem washed out, almost no contrast at all, dreamy...yeah but Id like bit more contrast and sharpness in there. Against strongly back-lit objects with fine contours it is absolutely dreadful. However I tried it at night with artifical light, it behaves a lot, lot better!

Here are some examples, straight out of LR, 5DII RAW converted to 800px wide jpg with no filters. All shot wide open.

This is too soft for my tastes, can anyone recommend a really good 50 1.4 glass, which is preferably under $500. And Im only interested in its performance wide open, Ill never use it past f4...

Some shots are shot at ISO 12800 and all other 3200 and up so it might not reveal great deal about the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Still on my wishlist , great lens!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N2 and N8 are really excellent shots they rock! Some other shots are considering to be taken in different light situation or with off-camera flash. Every glass has it's stronger and weaker sides and there are no absolutely strong or weak lens at all. What for 50/1.4 best I've seen so far were: Planar 50/1.4, Pentax M SMC 50/1.4 and Nikkor 50/1.4.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lens look fine, editing should improve color balance and contrast
have you try it at f1.4 or f2 to see how much it improve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Congrats! Still on my wishlist , great lens!

Thanks! I wasnt looking for one, it just came to me Smile. However I like my lenses sharper than this Sad

These are edited photos, 1.2 is quite usable if the focus is spot on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're after a sharp (wide open) F1.4 lens then try the AE or MM Contax 50/1.4. They are also quite cheap.

JJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:
N2 and N8 are really excellent shots they rock! Some other shots are considering to be taken in different light situation or with off-camera flash. Every glass has it's stronger and weaker sides and there are no absolutely strong or weak lens at all. What for 50/1.4 best I've seen so far were: Planar 50/1.4, Pentax M SMC 50/1.4 and Nikkor 50/1.4.

Ive had SMC Takumar 50 1.4 (sold it), I never liked it for some reason. Currently I have yashica ML 50 1.4 and I love it, wish it was tad sharper... I know yashica 50/1.4 is made to compete with planar, but just how much better planar is compared to yashica? It gets even worse when I paid for my yashica (in not so great shape) $35. I also used canon EF 50 1.4 and found it lacking wide open...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my copy is ok in daylight, but it really shines indoor Cool

#1 @f11

#2 @f11

#3 @f1.2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Hoan! I like all not only indoor shoots , BTW your Tomioka in my hands I will send it to you back soon, outdoor test is done, I plan to test indoor also in Basilica.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
I found my copy is ok in daylight, but it really shines indoor Cool

#1 @f11

#2 @f11

#3 @f1.2

Great shots! I dont even know what f11 looks like on a 1.2 lens Very Happy. Kidding aside, Im a wide-open-shooter so I wasnt really interested in how it performs past 1.2, because lets face it, any good 50 1.8 lens will be on par with it...

Thing is, when im not shooting wide open Im shooting wideangle, and Ive got 2 of those whose sharpness is tough to beat, and naturally bokeh is not important because there is no DOF.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:

Ive had SMC Takumar 50 1.4 (sold it), I never liked it for some reason.

I ment Pentax-M not Takumar. I also owned Takumar 50/1.4 and sold it too after I've got Planar 50/1.4. Haven't had that Yashica.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:
...Currently I have yashica ML 50 1.4 and I love it, wish it was tad sharper... I know yashica 50/1.4 is made to compete with planar, but just how much better planar is compared to yashica? ....

They render about the same but there is a noticeable difference in sharpness, sorry I don't have 100% crops online to link to.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
Arctures wrote:
...Currently I have yashica ML 50 1.4 and I love it, wish it was tad sharper... I know yashica 50/1.4 is made to compete with planar, but just how much better planar is compared to yashica? ....

I have the ML 50/1.4 Contax 50/1.4 AE and MM. The 2 Contax lenses seem about the same and I'm not sure if there is any optical difference except due to sample variation. The AE has the Ninja aperture blades but I've never experienced that to matter.

The Contax 50/1.4 is sharper than the ML 50/1.4 at every aperture. Even stopped down the ML is not as sharp as the Contax, even though most 50's seem to be in the same ball park when stopped down.

They render about the same but there is a noticeable difference in sharpness, sorry I don't have 100% crops online to link to.

Contax 50/1.4 at F1.4

ML 50/1.4 at F1.4

These are at F8, 100% crops. These tests where not intended as proper lens tests and where just done on the spur of the moment so where shot handheld, but I think they are representitive of the difference between the lenses.

Contax 50/1.4 at F8

ML 50/1.4 at F8

JJ

Ive read your review on FM forums, and Ive seen the difference. Great review btw Smile . But like I said I paid peanuts for yashica ($35) and planars go up to $400 nowadays, so Im thinking if it would be smart to go for planar if i have yashica...In your opinion, is it worth it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not the only one who like to shoot at f1.2 outdoor Cool
Here in snow condition:

#w1

#w2

Attila, Thanks. No rush. I still have a few to run through Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:
...Ive read your review on FM forums, and Ive seen the difference. Great review btw Smile ...

Thanks.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to buy this OM 1,2 and ML 1,2. same seller. Then I compared both, in term of sharpness wideopen, ML 1,2 is better. so I took the ML.
Now I have Konica Hexanon 57/1,2 and Pentax SMC K 50/1,2 which sharper than ML
For 1,4 SMC M Pentax is my choice. I have CZ Planar once, I sold it. the difference isn't too big in my taste, but the price is too big

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know if it's 'worth it'. That's very subjective and only you can answer that. To put it another way, the Leica 50/1.4 E60 is the best lens of this kind (although also with it's own flaws) but is it worth $2500 plus? To me it's not, and not even close to being worth it. So maybe the Contax vs ML argument is the same.

I see what you mean...Problem is I cant try the planar without buying so thats a problem for me.
Oh well, I hope Ill find a bargain copy sometimes which I doubt Smile.

And yeah, $2500 for a 50 1.4 is just absurd if you ask me....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:

These are edited photos, 1.2 is quite usable if the focus is spot on.

1.2 isn't easy to handle, but if you got the right focus.. absolut wonderful photos!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find zuikos focus ring the best Ive ever tried. Ive had some takumars before, but this thing has such a wonderful focus feel to it that Im finding I focus this thing at 1.2 a lot better and easier that any of my other (10 or so) 50mm lenses.

5DII Post processed shots, all @ f1.2.
[img]

[/img]

This lens has a lot of flaws, but if you play to its strengths it can be truly beautiful.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here you can find few samples from my copy of Oly 55mm/1.2
http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-14-olympus-55mm-1-2-t31138,highlight,%2Btesting+%2Blenses.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:

Quote:
I don't know if it's 'worth it'. That's very subjective and only you can answer that. To put it another way, the Leica 50/1.4 E60 is the best lens of this kind (although also with it's own flaws) but is it worth $2500 plus? To me it's not, and not even close to being worth it. So maybe the Contax vs ML argument is the same.

I see what you mean...Problem is I cant try the planar without buying so thats a problem for me.
Oh well, I hope Ill find a bargain copy sometimes which I doubt Smile.

And yeah, $2500 for a 50 1.4 is just absurd if you ask me....

+1, I haven't seen anything from Leica glass that you can't get from other high quality glass for 1/4 to 1/2the cost.

NothingMan wrote:
I find zuikos focus ring the best Ive ever tried. Ive had some takumars before, but this thing has such a wonderful focus feel to it that Im finding I focus this thing at 1.2 a lot better and easier that any of my other (10 or so) 50mm lenses.

And I prefer the Tak's over the Zuiko's for feel, but then i prefer metal focus rings to the rubber ones.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a great lens.
At f/1.2 it behaves similarly to my Nikkor 1.2/55, that is, it displays some residual spherical aberration (my Nikkor shows more of it to be honest).
But it can be minimized easily with some wise use of photoshop.
The only other potential issue seems to be some flare when there is a light source next to the frame, as in the bar pictures.
That will also be easily solved by use of a lens hood.
The stopped down photos show a lens with remarkable performance.
So I would say this is a great buy, congratulations.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
This looks like a great lens.
At f/1.2 it behaves similarly to my Nikkor 1.2/55, that is, it displays some residual spherical aberration (my Nikkor shows more of it to be honest).
But it can be minimized easily with some wise use of photoshop.
The only other potential issue seems to be some flare when there is a light source next to the frame, as in the bar pictures.
That will also be easily solved by use of a lens hood.
The stopped down photos show a lens with remarkable performance.
So I would say this is a great buy, congratulations.

Thanks Orio. Havent tried it much stopped down, from the few shots i did I thought Pancolar outresolves it easily @5.6 and smaller aperture. Didnt do a test so I might be wrong. But this lens surely hates harsh light. But Im finding the more I use it the more I like it. Its a love or hate relationship I guess Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: First time with 1.2 lens. Zuiko 55/1.2 photos and though Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:
This lens doesnt like day light at all Smile. Ive got hood on it all the time but in the daylight (open spaces, no shadows) this lens is pretty poor to my liking.

This was the case for my Cosina 55/1.2 as well. Strong LoCA in strong sunshine. But in cloudy conditions, it works very well. And it is excellent for available light.

Here are a couple of samples wide open:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/6293365859

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/6271828826

NothingMan wrote:

This is too soft for my tastes, can anyone recommend a really good 50 1.4 glass, which is preferably under $500.

I like the Super Takumar a lot, but you sound like you want a lens that would perform well under any condition and for that I think you should look for the Voigtlander Nokton 58/1.4. I used it a lot at f/1.4 for portraiture, but I only have samples to share where I used it stopped down a bit. Here are a few at f/2:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/6182431837

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/6182431335

These are all taken using APS-C cameras - you can expect thinner DOF on your 5DII.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real advice from me, but you seem competant at getting correct focus from a lens like this; I cannot get accurate focus with fast lenses wide open. Are you using live view?