Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First time with 1.2 lens. Zuiko 55/1.2 photos and thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
No real advice from me, but you seem competant at getting correct focus from a lens like this; I cannot get accurate focus with fast lenses wide open. Are you using live view?

I rarely use liveview, as I mostly shoot portraits/people and since people move, talk etc I miss a lot of shots I would have gotten If i just focused through viewfinder in the first place. Ill use it for some occasional flower shot and static stuff, and sometimes when I cant see clear definition in the dark even without looking through viewfinder. Even when I use liveview Im getting handshake blur sometimes as its an awkward position to hold a camera for me, no stability.

Also I stopped using AF confirmation too as its off most of the times with fast lenses, I get better results without it. I think it boils down to good vision and practice. The most problems I had was with SMC Tak 50 1.4, I would miss a lot of stuff with that lens although everything looked sharp through my viewfinder and as soon as I changed to another 50 1.4 my keeper rate would improve drastically. Try getting used to a lens a bit, get to know how much turn it needs for the photo to go in focus and out of it, it really helps.

P.S. The thing that got me in the photography is the viewfinder. The first time I looked through a real DSLR, and saw the transition of focus plane as you turn the lens I knew Id never (well almost never Smile) use live view. This doesnt count for landscape tripod shots as you have all the time in the world so why not use it Smile.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: First time with 1.2 lens. Zuiko 55/1.2 photos and though Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
NothingMan wrote:
This lens doesnt like day light at all Smile. Ive got hood on it all the time but in the daylight (open spaces, no shadows) this lens is pretty poor to my liking.

This was the case for my Cosina 55/1.2 as well. Strong LoCA in strong sunshine. But in cloudy conditions, it works very well. And it is excellent for available light.

Here are a couple of samples wide open:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/6293365859

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/6271828826

NothingMan wrote:

This is too soft for my tastes, can anyone recommend a really good 50 1.4 glass, which is preferably under $500.

I like the Super Takumar a lot, but you sound like you want a lens that would perform well under any condition and for that I think you should look for the Voigtlander Nokton 58/1.4. I used it a lot at f/1.4 for portraiture, but I only have samples to share where I used it stopped down a bit. Here are a few at f/2:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/6182431837

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/6182431335

These are all taken using APS-C cameras - you can expect thinner DOF on your 5DII.

Nice shots! Smile

Yeah I would like one do it all 50 1.4 lens (if there exists one), but I shoot wide open or bit closed down most of the time. So a wide open performer is what i really want. Almost any lens is good @ 5.6 and lower...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:

Thanks Orio. Havent tried it much stopped down, from the few shots i did I thought Pancolar outresolves it easily @5.6 and smaller aperture. Didnt do a test so I might be wrong. But this lens surely hates harsh light. But Im finding the more I use it the more I like it. Its a love or hate relationship I guess Smile

Being with a lens is not much different than being with a woman. Meaning that every one has her own character and you need to learn
what she loves and what she doesn't, what she is good at and what she's not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
NothingMan wrote:

Thanks Orio. Havent tried it much stopped down, from the few shots i did I thought Pancolar outresolves it easily @5.6 and smaller aperture. Didnt do a test so I might be wrong. But this lens surely hates harsh light. But Im finding the more I use it the more I like it. Its a love or hate relationship I guess Smile

Being with a lens is not much different than being with a woman. Meaning that every one has her own character and you need to learn
what she loves and what she doesn't, what she is good at and what she's not.

True that, everything has flaws, the only question one can ask himself is If he can live with them.

Your remark reminded me of one thing I read somewhere:

You fall in love with a camera, but you marry your lenses. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have then too many lenses Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: First time with 1.2 lens. Zuiko 55/1.2 photos and though Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:

So a wide open performer is what i really want. Almost any lens is good @ 5.6 and lower...

I don't think most lenses are good even at f/5.6. But coming back to wide open, check the Nokton - I was very pleased with it, especially with the low LoCA it has wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: First time with 1.2 lens. Zuiko 55/1.2 photos and though Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:

So a wide open performer is what i really want. Almost any lens is good @ 5.6 and lower...

I don't think most lenses are good even at f/5.6. But coming back to wide open, check the Nokton - I was very pleased with it, especially with the low LoCA it has wide open.

Certainly will do, If I ever run across one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: First time with 1.2 lens. Zuiko 55/1.2 photos and though Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:

From what I've seen Canon FD 55/1.2 Aspherical is sharpest wide open and I think the Leica guru, Erwin Putts ranks it better than the Noctilux f/1.2 and f/1. In the centre it is a killer. This is the first pic I took with it (nothing to write home about photography wise but check out the lips on this dude @1.2):

Rokkor 58/1.2 is also really nice, probably less sharp but with better bokeh. The trick for me with f1.2 is to nail the focus, more so than having a slightly sharper lens. Most of them are very good.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm what I already said, sometimes I hate it but sometimes I bloody love it! Smile