Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

(part 2) Small Emilian towns: Gualtieri
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: (part 2) Small Emilian towns: Gualtieri Reply with quote

Gualtieri is a small town of Mediaeval origin. Being very near to the river Po, it often was damaged by the floods, then rebuilt.
The main piazza however maintained perfectly; it was made in the Renaissance, and it's a perfect square of 100 meters sides.
On three sides, there are the portici and the clock tower. On the fourth side, there is Palazzo Bentivoglio (17th century).

All photos taken with M9, lens used was mostly Snapshot-Skopar 4/25, some photos taken with ZM Biogon 2/35.
Thanks for viewing.

#2 - Palazzo Bentivoglio (17th century)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well presented and interesting shots.....Italy is a photographer's paradise and except maybe for coastal scenery and the lake district England looks boring in comparison.

e.g. of other places to photograph in Italy https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rls=ig&biw=1695&bih=1076&site=webhp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=cittadella+walled+town+italy&oq=cittadella+walled+town+italy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=img.12...177750.184318.1.185705.13.13.0.0.0.1.151.1212.11j2.13.0.eKNTVJZb-YA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the visit Orio, that's an other great reportage Wink .....I love the rendering on your pictures, I don't know how to say it, it's just "real life" shots.....with great details and always this nice "wet" atmosphere ...what I also like are the natural colours except for some shots (for example #8 and #10), the blue colour of the sky looks on my eyes not so natural (too much photoshoped may be!!!).....Quite difficult to comment all the pictures but if I must choose one, it will be the # 31, the green touch at the end of this little street works very well for me.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well presented and interesting shots.....

Thanks Excalibur.

Quote:
Italy is a photographer's paradise and except maybe for coastal scenery and the lake district England looks boring in comparison.

It's true that we have a very high number of interesting places, but I also think that every country has it's points of interests. Sometimes it's just a matter of "changing eyes", I mean looking at things differently.
This may not be easy for native people as they are used to the landscape.
When I lived in Norway I was not bored at all, I always found lots of photo motives. One day I was out on the mountains with my
first wife, and I spent a lot of time photographing those incredible rocks and rivers. I saw that she was bored, so I asked why she wasn't enjoying what I thought
was a great landscape, and she replied: "oh... it's just the same old boring rocks".
So... it really depends a lot on the eyes, more than on the place.

Excalibur wrote:
e.g. of other places to photograph in Italy https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rls=ig&biw=1695&bih=1076&site=webhp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=cittadella+walled+town+italy&oq=cittadella+walled+town+italy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=img.12...177750.184318.1.185705.13.13.0.0.0.1.151.1212.11j2.13.0.eKNTVJZb-YA

Yeah, I know of it. There are so many small towns that are interesting. Those never end up in the tourist guides, most foreign people
amass themselves in thick crowds in Venice and Rome and Florence, missing on a lot of beautiful and quiet places.
All the places that you see in this series, are within some 50 km. from my hometown. I bet that no one of them is ever found on a foreign tourist guide.

Last edited by Orio on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Thanks for the visit Orio, that's an other great reportage Wink .....I love the rendering on your pictures, I don't know how to say it, it's just "real life" shots.....with great details and always this nice "wet" atmosphere ...what I also like are the natural colours except for some shots (for example #8 and #10), the blue colour of the sky looks on my eyes not so natural (too much photoshoped may be!!!).....Quite difficult to comment all the pictures but if I must choose one, it will be the # 31, the green touch at the end of this little street works very well for me.....

Thanks. In fact, that was a moment when the sky really looked a bold turquoise. It had rained all afternoon and the air was very clear
and full of suspended raindrops that made the sky glisten.
I was really let down by the rendering of the blues of the camera, which did not even get near what I saw. So I adjusted the blue in nearly all shots, to reproduce what I saw.
Curiously, once done "on paper", it feels like it's too much. But it was really like that. But I guess I'll have to tone it down anyway, as it seems unbelievable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it would seem the barbarians who invaded Italy never seemed to change Italy much from Roman times, the barbarians who invaded Roman Britain preferred "mud huts" and villages, so all our "Italian" looking buildings/towns/villas (well foundations) are under the ground. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
To me it would seem the barbarians who invaded Italy never seemed to change Italy much from Roman times, the barbarians who invaded Roman Britain preferred "mud huts" and villages, so all our "Italian" looking buildings (well foundations) are under the ground. Wink

Laughing
Oh, we've had our "barbaricities" (?) too... just think that under the ground of Parma, there is still the whole Roman city! Surprised . You can, in fact, still today recognize the cardum and decumanum,
something that happens often in the towns of Emilia because most of them were (re)founded by the Roman army.
It's also common, from aerial photographs, to still recognize the centuriationes in the fields. Although it may not seem at first sight, the countryside is what changed less since ancient age.
Even the irrigation conducts are the same dug by the retired Roman soldiers who colonized this land to spend here their pension
(the 1-2% that was lucky enough to arrive at pension age, that is...)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sometimes it's just a matter of "changing eyes", I mean looking at things differently.
This may not be easy for native people as they are used to the landscape

That's it: I've been walking around small towns like Gualtieri thousands of times, and despite really loving the architecture and atmosphere (beautifully represented in Orio's shots) of these places, I rarely found them really attractive to photograph in the same natural way that happened to me when I was in Sweden or Argentina, for example.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my fav is #31, now that the runner has disappeared Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes it's just a matter of "changing eyes", I mean looking at things differently.

That's it: I've been walking around small towns like Gualtieri thousands of times, and despite really loving the architecture and atmosphere (beautifully represented in Orio's shots) of these places, I rarely found them really attractive to photograph in the same natural way that happened to me when I was in Sweden or Argentina, for example.

Hey maybe I should start posting my boring village/building/pub shots, as you might find them interesting. Wink But IMO a shot from a person's country has to be something that others will not see in their country.......to be interesting.

Well we have plenty of castles in the Uk but nothing like this:-

http://vimeo.com/40880936

Last edited by Excalibur on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Vincent: It's the little differences. I mean, they got the same sh*t over there that we got here, but it's just...it's just, there it's a little different.
Jules: Example?
Vincent: All right. Well, you can walk into a movie theater in Amsterdam and buy a beer. And I don't mean just like in no paper cup; I'm talking about a glass of beer. And in Paris, you can buy a beer at McDonald's. And you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Jules: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with Cheese?
Vincent: Nah, man, they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the f*ck a Quarter Pounder is.
Jules: What do they call it?
Vincent: They call it a "Royale with Cheese."
Jules: "Royale with Cheese."
Vincent: That's right.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Thanks for the visit Orio, that's an other great reportage Wink

+1 my fav #38

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More goodies, thanks Orio. I do miss the "looming" unknown figure at the far end of the street in #1!!! Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Quote:

Orio is right . And you are right too . I'd say also that the eye is accustomed to some patterns . And and this can lead to some kind of fatigue wich can be manifested as lack of creative reaction (that depends on individual particularities talent and training ,I suppose). Changing this pattern can awake the sensitivity .So , if you are used to your homeland cityscape it's normal than foreigner cityscapes can easier hit your G (contax , of course) point Laughing You'll see then easyer the interesting subject.

Very interesting reportage ,Orio ,thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that's a beautiful series.
Love the colors ... the blues and greens are eye-catching ...

Cheers
Tobias