Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

One of the few situations better to go with an AF lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: One of the few situations better to go with an AF lens Reply with quote

To go to the local International Airport for a little bit airplane spotting is one of the special passions of my son and myself. This is also one of the only few situations to work better with AF lenses. Here again some samples pp with DXO and preset "fine details". Click for larger images.

1DsMkIII and EF 4/300mmL

Below a shot with a 6,3/500mm mirror (KMZ 3M-6A) and 1DsMkIII for comparison only

Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. I like esp. the last one, Rolf.

But I don't think that you could not do that with an MF lens.
With pre-focusing and slight adjustements that is well possible with manual focus.

Planes are fast, but they are pretty far away, so their speed is not that relevant.
It's much more difficult to get running kids in focus when they play in the garden. Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing clarity on the airplanes, great photos Ralf!

This lens certainly is very very good, but I also agree with Carsten and also think that this situation should not be too difficult for a manual lens

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, simply pre-focus on the lane then set a f/8 aperture

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.

You can be sure that this is a situation for an AF lens. Beside some lucky shots you have no control over the results even with f/8 with a MF lens. If you can live with 70 or 80 % for the trash this may be ok.

But even with a fast AF lens it is not easy to get the results above.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb shots !
Amazingly clear results.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots but i agree with the previous posters.
On the other hand, moving kids are so hard to keep in focus, they never want to cooperate.
Where were you when taking these shots?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF or not, yours are great snapshots, full of clarity.
Hate to say that of an AF lens though Laughing