Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Paved
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Paved Reply with quote

Zeiss Ikon, C Sonnar T* 1.5/50 ZM, Fuji Provia 100
(Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner)
Please enlarge to optimal size by clicking on the photograph:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty awesome result, especially from using a flatbed scanner on a 35mm slide!

Of course using high resolution equipment on the front end didn't hurt, either.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
That's a pretty awesome result, especially from using a flatbed scanner on a 35mm slide!

Of course using high resolution equipment on the front end didn't hurt, either.

+1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine sunlight after the rain again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

It's very difficult to scan slides with the 4490. It has a very limited dynamic range.
For the scanning to be good, the slide should be overexposed. But that would waste for me the whole idea of using slides.
I do because I like them projected on a big screen. My shadows show all the detail once illuminated from behind.
If instead I overexpose, I can scan better, but the slides themselves are good for the trash bin.
Buying a high end scanner is out of question, so this is why I make less and less slides. Basically, I do when I'm traveling
(which does not happen since a while), or when I like to test new equipment.
This particular photo turned out luckily with a perfect balance between darks and highlights, because the subject does not have
strong highlights in it such as the sky or lamps, it only has reflected light.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to come back for another look, superb lighting and sharpness of the stones, how they gleam.

Didn't know you owned the Zeiss Ikon, knew Andy had one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Had to come back for another look, superb lighting and sharpness of the stones, how they gleam.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Yes, it surprised me that it came through the scan, too.
I projected the slide this evening and on the big screen, in the dark, it is really a "wow" one. I got lucky Smile

Katastrofo wrote:
Didn't know you owned the Zeiss Ikon, knew Andy had one.

I bought it last March, when I cashed some money from postal bonds of my father that we have been able to convert.
It was a bundle offer, the Ikon camera and the C Sonnar 1.5/50 lens, thanks to the bundle I could get the lens
for half the price the lens is sold alone. I have the original Contax lens, but I wanted a Z also because of the t* coating which
lets me use it in all safety in all lighting conditions.
It was one of the last bundles available, the silver bundle went out of stock a couple of months before I got the money, so I bought the black bundle.
My wish was for the silver bundle, but now that I have the black one, I have to say that I am happier with it. Silver looks great only when it's old time anodized chrome.
Today's silver means pure aluminium or titanium, and black looks more classy than that. And gets less noticed in the streets, which does not hurt Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you "got lucky", Orio. I think you just take great photos of wet things.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful result, great camera/lens combination. i have to shoot more slides...
tony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorgeous photo Orio!

that sonnar 50 1.5 is one helluva lens

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent subject selection! Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a super picture - simple things are the best, if done professional - congrats

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great one! nice reflecting blues ...

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you much guys.