Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rumour - Zeiss to make a 70-200/2.8 for DSLRs?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Rumour - Zeiss to make a 70-200/2.8 for DSLRs? Reply with quote

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/03/zeiss-70-200-f2-8-coming-to-canon-for-nab-2012/

Now THAT could be interesting Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumour - Zeiss to make a 70-200/2.8 for DSLRs? Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/03/zeiss-70-200-f2-8-coming-to-canon-for-nab-2012/

By which you mean bloody expensive, right? Confused

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumour - Zeiss to make a 70-200/2.8 for DSLRs? Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Yes, I need to buy a house quick before I do something stupid Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumour - Zeiss to make a 70-200/2.8 for DSLRs? Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Yes, I need to buy a house quick before I do something stupid Laughing Laughing Laughing
Yes, then you'll have more space for lenses Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumour - Zeiss to make a 70-200/2.8 for DSLRs? Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

That would be HEAVY, VERY EXPENSIVE and not very suitable for subjects that are not static.
Which means, not so interesting.

I think it would be difficult for Zeiss to attract any other than cinematographers with this lens.

We do not know the details, but I would probably prefer Canon's 70-200 2.8 IS II.
It is too good for a Canon lens, and I already own it (and I rarely use it) Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumour - Zeiss to make a 70-200/2.8 for DSLRs? Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:

That would be HEAVY, VERY EXPENSIVE and not very suitable for subjects that are not static.
We do not know the details, but I would probably prefer Canon's 70-200 2.8 IS II.

Which is also heavy, very expensive, and equally unsuitable (provided that it's true - I think not).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be fine for motorsport on a monopod Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose the rumor holds.
Let's guess.
If would say, at least 3500-4000 €.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumour - Zeiss to make a 70-200/2.8 for DSLRs? Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nikos wrote:

Which is also heavy, very expensive, and equally unsuitable (provided that it's true - I think not).

Orio, you are biased Very Happy
It is not equally unsuitable. Perhaps for you. But you turn AF off Razz
I would never had taken my photos of bears without a lens with FAST auto focus.
And it is not very expensive. It has 5 UD elements.
And so effective image stabilizer is a big thing in telephotos.
It's downside is its footprint. Mostly the size, not the weight.
But the Zeiss will be even heavier, most probably.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should weight less than Canon.
No IS, no USM.
I assume too that the price will be in $5000 range.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
No IS, no USM.

Yes, very likely.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Himself wrote:
No IS, no USM.

Yes, very likely.

Orio, would you buy this lens? (assuming you can afford it).
Does it fit with your shooting style?
Or is it just a "nice to have" lens?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:
Orio wrote:
Himself wrote:
No IS, no USM.

Yes, very likely.

Orio, would you buy this lens? (assuming you can afford it).
Does it fit with your shooting style?
Or is it just a "nice to have" lens?

The Zeiss one? I already have the Vario-Sonnar 100-300, which is perfect, the sharpest lens in the world,
and costed me 450 Euros new old stock. Very Happy

But yes, it would be perfect for my shooting style.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

The Zeiss one? I already have the Vario-Sonnar 100-300, which is perfect, the sharpest lens in the world,
and costed me 450 Euros new old stock. Very Happy

The 100-300 is 2 stops slower. Let's not compare apples with oranges Razz
That said, it has to be amazing, judging by my VarioSonnar 35-70mm.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:

The 100-300 is 2 stops slower.

1,5 stops at the shorter end Razz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-2 stops is nothing with modern digital cameras with good high ISO performance.

The AF is a nice feature to have on an 80-200 so you can use it for moving subjects, but other than that, I'd do as Orio and get an older lens for a fraction of the price.

I think that Zeiss is a pretty sexy looking lens though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
1-2 stops is nothing with modern digital cameras with good high ISO performance.

Sorry for that, but this is nonsense! I am tired of listening to this silly argument...

When you compare two things, you have to keep the environment stable.
Else your results are pointless.

Let's say the sun has just set.
With an f/1.4 lens you can keep shooting for at least half an hour more than with an f/4 lens.

Modern sensors re-define the limits of what is possible.
This does affect the lens itself, however.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nikos wrote:

Damn you, Orio! (AGAIN)
I have started searching for the 100-300 on eBay Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:
Orio wrote:
Nikos wrote:

Damn you, Orio! (AGAIN)

Laughing
Sorry! Razz Rolling Eyes
Good luck in finding one - not many of them made, it's not an easy to find beast (and usually those who have it, keep it)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
No IS, no USM.
I assume too that the price will be in $5000 range.

Two assumptions I guess are incorrect. Comparing the picture with its EF mount I guesstimate the dimensions to be 86mm max diameter and 198mm length, the same dimensions as the EF 70-200/2.8 IS II. Zeiss will likely mount it in well-dampened focus and zoom mechanisms that may well be much heavier than those of the Canon lens (I know that one is rather heavy as well - one of the little things you notice about the lens when carrying it around all day).

I'm assuming that the price will be considerably higher than $5000, when you look at their other motion picture lenses $5000 is rather cheap.

When you look at the rear of the lens, you see a large protrusion behind the EF mount. This means it can only be used in live view, no room for the mirror to swing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that is often overlooked with regard to lens speed is viewfinder brightness and the ability that gives you to focus and compose in lesser light.
It's one of the reasons I love the Rangefinder way.
Now this lens is clearly a Reflex lens and of a longer FL which honestly, is easier to find focus in lesser light than a shorter FL.
Still, even if I'm taking a shot at f4 or f5.6 or f8 or smaller... I would rather get my focus while opened up at f2.8 for precision.
It's worth the extra weight and size. No photographer mounts a 3x telephoto zoom and expects anything short of a sore neck at the end of the day Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends a lot on what you are photographing. If it's a moving subject, focusing wide open then stopping down does not work; it takes too long with a MF lens on adapter.
For such situation, the only solution is a native camera-lens combination that lets you photograph with automated aperture control.
I have used my 100-300 at the Carnival and other similar situations, and never had problems, because with focal lenghts longer than 135mm, it doesn't really make much difference if the lens is at f/2.8 or f/4.5, in most situations you usually have plenty of enlargement and plenty of background separation just the same.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumour - Zeiss to make a 70-200/2.8 for DSLRs? Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Who needs a house, when you could buy the Leica 70-180/2.8 Vario-APO-Elmarit with the money. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumour - Zeiss to make a 70-200/2.8 for DSLRs? Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Who needs a house, when you could buy the Leica 70-180/2.8 Vario-APO-Elmarit with the money. Cool

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seriously though, the Carl Zeiss 100-300mm is simply stunning Smile Orio gives cracking advice there!

http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-vario-sonnar-100-300mm---sidmouth-folk-festival-t41707.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-vario-sonnar-100-300mm-at-the-farm-t38139.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/monterey-impressions-colour-lots-of-photos-t43409,highlight,%2Bmonterey.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nikos wrote:

Damn you, Orio! (AGAIN)

Laughing
Sorry! Razz Rolling Eyes
Good luck in finding one - not many of them made, it's not an easy to find beast (and usually those who have it, keep it)

This time you cost me 670€, including the Contax metal hood however Evil or Very Mad
The lens seems to be in perfect condition, so the price is very acceptable.

Now I need to sell my Canon 70-200 f/4 and my Canon 300mm f/4 Laughing
If it is as good as my 35-70 Vario-Sonnar (the MTF says it is even better),
next time we meet I am going to kiss you Very Happy