Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My award for the most annoying lens mount is......
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: My award for the most annoying lens mount is...... Reply with quote

Canon breech lock.

I was out today with my T90 playing lens tennis with 3 lenses. It's slower and more fiddly to change lenses than my M42 kit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 from me

No argument there! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, true, 'tis a bit hair-shirted, but the results bring it back. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say the pentacon six share the same place Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so I thin P6 mount just right and easy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I don't think so I thin P6 mount just right and easy.

yah, I take that back. the canon mount is the worst.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All breechlocks are annoying, the Canon one is the worst, the Petri one also annoying, the Miranda one least annoying.

Part of the reason I sold all my FD lenses is how annoying the mount is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-fd-the-most-stupid-mount-ever-t24942.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop bad-mouthing FD! It is paradise compared with... Argus C3. Especially the early C3s. My fingers ache just thinking about it. I absolutely hate geared RF cameras. The Kodak 35 was bad enough but at least its lens couldn't be changed. One doesn't 'swap' C3 lenses -- a lens-change is more like replacing a bike tire, and not much faster.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: My award for the most annoying lens mount is...... Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Canon breech lock.

I was out today with my T90 playing lens tennis with 3 lenses. It's slower and more fiddly to change lenses than my M42 kit.

I use OM MD nikon, LTM, Pentax, M, Penf-F, konica & leica R

none are remotly in the league of the horrible FD mount. nFD and FL as annoying but the breechlock is just sick.

wait.....nikon RF externals or contax externals can be annoying too...but not like the horrendous FD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIKON!!!! it's backwards! I Hate it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: My award for the most annoying lens mount is...... Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Canon breech lock.

+1, sold all my old Canon lenses, I just hate the breechlock system!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry, can't agree with all this Canon breech-lock knocking. No trouble at all for me. Now, the Petri, Praktina and P-6 which have the locking ring on the body, they are awkward to work with because you need two hands all the time. But the FD-BL is one handed, quick and easy unless the lens is so big and heavy that you need both to carry it.

However, just to show that I'm no bigot, some of the cheap independent lenses have loose rings that won't stay in the unlocked position and they ARe a nightmare.

Enough negativity - if the FD is allegedly the WORST, what do we think is the BEST?

I vote for Exakta.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM is one of my favourites...it has a lens side button and everything Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the best I vote for M42 because all I have to remember is righty tighty lefty loosy Embarassed And no buttons to push and I have rear lens caps lying around by the dozens Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FD is technically good: the mount and body don't wear each other.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
FD is technically good: the mount and body don't wear each other.

Is that because people leave the same lens on because they are such a pain to change ????

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
OM is one of my favourites...it has a lens side button and everything Smile

I'd agree with that - loved the OM system when I was using it. Mind you, the PK system isn't too bad at all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not agree !Smile

1 - worst = M42
2 - worst = Canon FD

tf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sure, M42 is worse than FD. No way, 42 is simple, never had a problem with it. FD on the other hand...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst for me are the ones with mounts that don't easily adapt to my camera Smile:

Minolta MD
Canon FD/FL
Konica
PK and Ricoh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it were a genius mechanism, Canon never would have gone to the EF. The FD lacked forward compatibility, etc. And it's wonky as a two-legged stool.

But the most laughable aspect of the system is the design logic: Canon was worried that repeated lens mounting and removal would damage the mounts and change the flange focal distance, thereby throwing off lens focus.

Wait, what? Seriously? We're talking about camera lenses here, not turbo fan jet engines where tolerances have to be to within 1/3,000th of an inch.

My biggest complaint about the Canon system isn't how fiddly it is (it's very fiddly) or how different from sane logical thought is it (it's very different), but that when the lens isn't mounted on the camera, the aperture doesn't function. That makes it nigh impossible to inspect a used lens at a garage sale or the like unless you happen to always have an AE-1 in your pocket. You know, just in case. What a ridiculous design flaw.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with PK? It's just like Nikon F only the other way around.

My PK rear caps even work on all my F lenses! And vice versa!

I will acknowledge that Pentax did their brand no favors by letting every lens maker in the world use their mount. It led to lots of sub-standard lenses being made for their cameras and watering down the Pentax lens' reputation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PK (and Ricoh) lenses have parts that intrude into the camera body -- mounting on EOS camera is either impossible or the lens mounts at an angle, slightly rotated so those intruding parts don't interfere with anything. Most Nikon F lenses have no intruding parts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to work the aperture on an FD lens off the camera.
Just press a pin on the mount, and the aperture lever works fine.