Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My award for the most annoying lens mount is......
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FD breech lock? Well I find it depends on the lens:- some I just insert and spin the collar to lock and others are fiddly in that you have to turn the collar to the left before turning to the right and so on ....maybe it's because some are more worn or badly made?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst (by far): Nikon F, at least all pre-AI stuff
Worst -1: Icarex BM
Worst -2: Icarex M42 and other Screw mount including clickstops (Praktica, Olympus...)
Worst -3: Canon New-FD.

I like Canon Breech-Lock. It's completely different than all others, but at least a brain can remember...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most annoying is Contax G, for the aperture scale pointing nowhere defined with the lens unmounted, and the lens not (un)mounting when it is grabbed by the aperture ring while that is in a wrong position. Not because that is as obfuscated and strange as many of the long-term evolved mounts, but because they directly messed up on a extremely trivial mount that never had to compromise with any legacy behind it...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no problem mounting and demounting Canon FL and FD breechlock lenses. Anyone who fumbles with these is welcome to send them to me to give them a proper home.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OM mount is a beauty... but I've experienced some lazy aperture springs after a couple of decades...

About the only camera I've successfully boycotted are the Canons. So no experience there.

The Contax/Kiev mount scares me however... mounting the 35 or 85 Jupiter brings to mind rhinos mating, only I think the rhinos are actually gentler.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramiller500 wrote:
I've had no problem mounting and demounting Canon FL and FD breechlock lenses. Anyone who fumbles with these is welcome to send them to me to give them a proper home.

+1.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
Stop bad-mouthing FD! It is paradise compared with... Argus C3..

SHHHHHHH!...Dont tell everyone or the prices of FD lenses will shoot up! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My award for the most annoying lens mount is...... Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Canon breech lock.

I was out today with my T90 playing lens tennis with 3 lenses. It's slower and more fiddly to change lenses than my M42 kit.

Surely that depends on what camera you are using them on...Using them on an NEX via a FD-E mount adapter? The latter adapters can be bought for under £10 each on ebay, so cheap in fact that even the most cash strapped NEX user should be able to afford to buy at least one adapter for every FD lens they have, effectively converting each of them to E mount lenses and making fast lens changes on an NEX a doddle Wink
With the NEX, you also benefit from not having to have an optical element in the adapter to correct for the difference in registration distance, as you must have on Canon EF mount cameras, if your not prepared to convert the FD lens to EF mount that is.
I use my FL and FD lenses on the Sigma SA mount, which shares the same 44mm reg distance as the Canon EF mount, and to allow easy lens changes and remove the need for an optical correcting element I decided to convert mine to SA mount.
I can just as easily convert them to EF mount if I wish as most of the necessary machining work has already been done. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: My award for the most annoying lens mount is...... Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
Canon breech lock.

I was out today with my T90 playing lens tennis with 3 lenses. It's slower and more fiddly to change lenses than my M42 kit.

Surely that depends on what camera you are using them on...Using them on an NEX via a FD-E mount adapter? The latter adapters can be bought for under £10 each on ebay, so cheap in fact that even the most cash strapped NEX user should be able to afford to buy at least one adapter for every FD lens they have, effectively converting each of them to E mount lenses and making fast lens changes on an NEX a doddle Wink
With the NEX, you also benefit from not having to have an optical element in the adapter to correct for the difference in registration distance, as you must have on Canon EF mount cameras, if your not prepared to convert the FD lens to EF mount that is.
I use my FL and FD lenses on the Sigma SA mount, which shares the same 44mm reg distance as the Canon EF mount, and to allow easy lens changes and remove the need for an optical correcting element I decided to convert mine to SA mount.
I can just as easily convert them to EF mount if I wish as most of the necessary machining work has already been done. Wink

Like it says in my post, "I was out with my T90", so that's what camera I was using it with. I don't use FD lenses on non-FD cameras so adapting isn't really an issue.

I don't like NEX or similar digital cameras as they lack a viewfinder, have cropped sensors and are too small to handle for my liking.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, am I the only fool here who has ever changed Argus-C3 lenses? You people don't know how good you've had it! You haven't had to partially disassemble your cameras in order to go from 35mm to 50mm to 100mm. I mean that with some models, a screwdriver is required. You don't need to be at a workbench to change your FDs, right? So stop whining!