Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon Full-Frame Users are Butchering Pentax MF Lenses!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Canon Full-Frame Users are Butchering Pentax MF Lenses! Reply with quote

Yes, Canon full-frame users are butchering many, many vintage Pentax MF lenses mostly for video uses.
They are cutting off the tabs on the rear of lenses so that they clear the mirror. Many of these wounded lenses are reappearing on the market.

Some buyers have reportedly purchased lenses where the tabs have been cleverly glued back on, only to have them break off inside their cameras.

This is not only dishonest but can ruin your camera. Please beware!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon Full-Frame Users are Butchering Pentax MF Lenses! Reply with quote

I don't mind adjusting a manual lens to my needs, as long as it is not a rare and very precious item.

But this:

Jeff Zen wrote:

Some buyers have reportedly purchased lenses where the tabs have been cleverly glued back on, only to have them break off inside their cameras.

is criminal!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon Full-Frame Users are Butchering Pentax MF Lenses! Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I don't mind adjusting a manual lens to my needs, as long as it is not a rare and very precious item.

But this:

Jeff Zen wrote:

is criminal!

+1

One must state the actual and exact condition of the lens as honestly as possible before selling.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon Full-Frame Users are Butchering Pentax MF Lenses! Reply with quote

If only tab is cut off it's luckily not a case of severe butchery. In most cases it can easily be substituted.

Jeff Zen wrote:
Some buyers have reportedly purchased lenses where the tabs have been cleverly glued back on, only to have them break off inside their cameras. This is not only dishonest but can ruin your camera. Please beware!

+1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon Full-Frame Users are Butchering Pentax MF Lenses! Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
Yes, Canon full-frame users are butchering many, many vintage Pentax MF lenses mostly for video uses.
They are cutting off the tabs on the rear of lenses so that they clear the mirror. Many of these wounded lenses are reappearing on the market.

Well, people doing this are really dogs, IMHO (with no offense to the "real" dogs owned by some people here) ...
Properly removing the actuation lever and/or the leaf protecting it is a matter of minutes, with a simple screwdriver (there are a lot of tutorials available around) ... And the modification is fully reversible (when properly done) ...

Honestly, cannot understand why those people are making these lenses useless ... Maybe we should start a big thread about this, to sabotage sales ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the PK mount lenses, right?

The M42 mount lenses have no tabs that get in the way of the mirror.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Only the PK mount lenses, right?

The M42 mount lenses have no tabs that get in the way of the mirror.

Yes, you are right ... Nevertheless, in the PK mount series, you have the K28/3.5 (the best 28mm from Pentax), the K50/1.2, the K85/1.8, the K105/2.8 ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As.a Canon full frame user can I just set the record straight? I have reversibly altered several of my K mount lenses. None have been resold. Should any be so, I will offer to put them back to original spec, or sell them as converted ( with all the bits ) as the eventual buyer requires. I like to think I am a responsible lens user Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Martin. I've removed the tab on a couple of PK lenses so I can use them on my EOS 10D.

There's an element of unneccessary hysteria in this thread that is unfortunate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Canon Full-Frame Users are Butchering Pentax MF Lenses! Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Jeff Zen wrote:

Well, people doing this are really dogs, IMHO (with no offense to the "real" dogs owned by some people here) ...
Properly removing the actuation lever and/or the leaf protecting it is a matter of minutes, with a simple screwdriver (there are a lot of tutorials available around) ... And the modification is fully reversible (when properly done) ...

Honestly, cannot understand why those people are making these lenses useless ... Maybe we should start a big thread about this, to sabotage sales ...

Is not that simple, the protection cover for the lever is removable, but the levers are normally the same piece that a ring that is part of the aperture mechanism, so if you want to be non destructive you have to fully open the lens to the aperture mechanism and rework or machine a substitute for that ring, which is far from practical.

The compromise solution is to bend the lever with a pair of pliers, one to hold the lever to avoid tensioning the mechanism (the M lenses are delicate) and the other to bend, if done properly the levers are high quality enough to don't suffer.

I never found one a Pentax lens with unscrewable lever:

-Pentax M 50 f1.7
-Pentax M 28 f2.8
-Pentax K 50 f1.4
-Pentax K 35 f2
-Chinon MC 28 f2.8
-Chinon MC 50 f1.7
-Chinon MC 135 f2.8

BTW, I never have cut a lever or resold a lens with bad description, that is very objectionable, in fact I just bended the 28 f2.8 due to a lack of 28mm lens in that time and due to excessive tension in the lever is in the pile of "for parts lenses" wo a working aperture, the rest of them were sold or I will sold it (I have 2 x rare Pentax K 35 f2).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I cut the lever and the flange of a cheap 50mm f/2 Multi-Coated (the Chinese-made lens that looks exactly like the SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/2 and which was sold on the Luxon 1000 Super, a Pentax K1000 clone). But that's the only lens I butchered; I promise to leave my Pentax lenses alone Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you do with your own lenses is nobody else's business. Most M-mount lenses are mass productions and by no means unique pieces of art or irreplaceable proofs of technological history! As long as you use that lens and don't sell it, why should anyone bother?

(If someone butchered a lens which only exits in 5 copies worldwide or so, then I would agree that this is very bad.)

And if you sell it, you must name all flaws including the ones that made the lens work for you on you fullframe body. Of course! Otherwise it's a fraud.

But we need to distinguish between adjusting a lens and selling it with a wrong description!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to dig out the ones I modified and name them. IIRC they are no name zooms, but they all had tabs/tongues attached with screws so I simply unscrewed them and popped the bits in a bag marked with the lens name. Shouldn't be too difficult to find the bags of bits AND the lens they go with Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time a Pentax lens is butchered, god kills a kitten Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just about all kinds of DSLR users are grinding, hacking, whacking and destroying Canon FL/FD manual focus lenses to achieve infinity focus. Far worse than what's being done to PK lenses.

Before you grind, change your mind. Send your FL/FD mount (and other) lenses to The Casual Collector's Home for Aging Optics. Here, your experienced lenses will lead an active retirement, creating colorful images in the Florida sunshine. They will be cared for and excercised and there will be no fear of dismemberment, disembowlment or organ harvesting.

PM for shipping details.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:

Shocked Nah, God doesn't do things like that. Never! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:

Of course not. He'll send fungus spores to the lenses in question Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:

Of course not. He'll send fungus spores to the lenses in question Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
And just about all kinds of DSLR users are grinding, hacking, whacking and destroying Canon FL/FD manual focus lenses to achieve infinity focus. Far worse than what's being done to PK lenses.

Before you grind, change your mind. Send your FL/FD mount (and other) lenses to The Casual Collector's Home for Aging Optics. Here, your experienced lenses will lead an active retirement, creating colorful images in the Florida sunshine. They will be cared for and excercised and there will be no fear of dismemberment, disembowlment or organ harvesting.

PM for shipping details.

I´m about to butcher the magnificient concave FD 35 f2 hehehe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafa1981 wrote:
casualcollector wrote:

PM for shipping details.

I´m about to butcher the magnificient concave FD 35 f2 hehehe

Send it to me now, before someone's deity murders another infant feline!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Pentax-A 50/1.2 at a more affordable price ... my dream lens since year ago Smile

I will be using it on my 5DII and I consider not to do a leverectomy if possible.

My question is, is the aperture lever a one piece with the aperture itself? In other words, can I separate the lever from the aperture?
I ask the question because I had the Pentax-A 50/1.4 which aperture lever already cut off when I bought it (I got it at a super cheap price because the lens has separation marks) and I am thinking if it's possible to use this A 50/1.4 mount to replace the A 50/1.2 mount so that I could preserve the original A 50/1.2 mount. (and the A 50/1.4 will stay on dry box)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go and get the nex7

Pentax A50/1.2 might be too nice to chop...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Go and get the nex7

Pentax A50/1.2 might be too nice to chop...

Well, I want to use it on my FF camera and no plan to buy Nex Smile
Just want to know if the Pentax-A 50/1.4 mount can replace the A 50/1.2 so that I could preserve the original.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time a beautiful picture is taken with a butchered pentax lens.....an angel gets its wings !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmonkman1 wrote:
Every time a beautiful picture is taken with a butchered pentax lens.....an angel gets its wings !
...and is promptly shot out of the sky by a Pentax user with a 12 gauge shot gun Twisted Evil