Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cinque Terre 2010, re-edit
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Cinque Terre 2010, re-edit Reply with quote

I have re-edited a few photos from my Cinque Terre tour of 2010:

Vario-Sonnar 28-85:

Distagon 2.8/21:

Distagon 2.8/21:

Vario-Sonnar 100-300:

Vario-Sonnar 100-300:

The original versions are on this page:
http://forum.mflenses.com/cinque-terre-part-3-t32898,highlight,%2Bcinque+%2Bterre.html

The idea was that of making the images feel more like slides than digital.
And, strange as it might seem, the colours of the sea and the sky in the new versions are more like to what I remember them than in the non-PP version.
_

Last edited by Orio on Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a difference.
Sometimes PP is necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+10 better than ever. Nice, crisp , rocks almost touchable!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. In fact it's interesting, the images appear crisper but I did not apply any further sharpening, I only worked on the colours and on the black/white points. Which proves something that I always believed, that is, that it is possible to make an image look sharper only with some selective work on the colours and the dynamic range. In fact, after this treatment, it's obvious that I could actually use less sharpening of the original image than what I needed when the image had the duller default colours.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful place, Shining colors and Great lenses as well Very Happy ...
Lovely serie orio!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen as they were before, they seem beautiful, the light is fantastic ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cinque Terre 2010, re-edit Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

The idea was that of making the images feel more like slides than digital.
And, strange as it might seem, the colours of the sea and the sky in the new versions are more like to what I remember them than in the non-PP version.

I like them a lot, Orio!
Will you try to explain what you did in a different way?
Aimed for more contrast?
The green in the last one is impressive even for color blind people like me...

BTW, this is not fair! I am trying to persuade myself to save money and skip the trip to Cinque Terre for now, and you come up with this post !!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are beauties! nicely composed all of them, I like especially #1 with the couple ...

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer old version, the newer one lose in the shadows, colors get artificial and sharpness look overdone
I prefer edit the curve manually to a S shape, at least colors are not altered

example, in the last pic, background get blue and subtle gradation turn in a uniform green
the white houses even disappear Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
I prefer old version, the newer one lose in the shadows, colors get artificial and sharpness look overdone
I prefer edit the curve manually to a S shape, at least colors are not altered

example, in the last pic, background get blue and subtle gradation turn in a uniform green
the white houses even disappear Shocked Laughing

Laughing
I bombed that house with a digital Tomahawk Wink
Yes, I see what you mean about the colours. My idea was to do something that could look like a slightly underexposed Provia 100 slide. Of course I know that this means to leave some realism behind. But in fact if you do a Provia slide in that scene, the mountain will look blue, too. Rolling Eyes
And if you want to saturate colours in a slide, you get some "closed blacks" (as we say in Italic photo-jargon) unavoidably. But with regards to this, I have to say that I am not a "read all in a photo" person. When blacks help define the mass of an object, or the atmosphere, I take them gladly. In fact that's the main problem I find with HDR images, by taking away the black they make pictures taht are flat and without any mystery.

I agree about the sharpness, that was an unwanted side effect, because I worked on the already developed image - I should have worked on the RAW, or, prepare a new develop with less sharpening to start with.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cinque Terre 2010, re-edit Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:

I like them a lot, Orio!
Will you try to explain what you did in a different way?
Aimed for more contrast?

OK
my idea was to do in the colour image, what I normally would do in a black and white image: filter colours to select/enhance elements in the image.
I assumed that this could also be (roughly) the result of slide film capturing image through dfferent layers for the colours - some unavoidably are enhanced more than others.
I start with the three couples of primary and secondary

red-green
orange-blue
yellow-purple

and you of course have to keep the 6 colours in mind as a sequence:

purple-red-orange-yellow-green-blue

So I imagined to use a yellow filter in the images. In B&W, that would mean to brighten yellow things a lot, darken purple things a lot, brighten orange and green a bit, darken blue and red a bit.

Of course if you would do that with another colour as filter, you would have to shift accordingly to the colour wheel.

That step would create the "new base" for the image. I then adjusted the saturation individually for the six colours, and to do that I acted psychologically not scientifically. Since both brightening and darkening in a B&W image draw attention on the elements, I did enhance saturation for both the chosen filter colour and it's complementary, and a bit also for the neighbouring colours as well.

Finally, I adjusted the black and white points, to create the typical contrast of a slide (which usually in days with a strong light lose dynamic range at both ends).

I hope the descritpion is clear. You can do this technique in Photoshop, via the Selective Colour tool, but I find it easier to do it in Lightroom.

_