Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I thought winter was over...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: I thought winter was over... Reply with quote

I came home from a short photo trip and it began to snow Sad

I have replaced the focusing screen with a custom one (got it from Alex, 2 years ago) and now I can manual focus again with the 5D Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Takumars sure do hold their own beautiful rendering and sharpness!
I really like the first image, with the "captured" snowflakes and the
dimensional effect. Clear and clean!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Laurence! One thing is for sure: my Takumars still focus as smooth as butter. I simply love them!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great result from gray day Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great and I too love the first for the snowflakes.

What screen did you use?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBaker wrote:
These are great and I too love the first for the snowflakes.

What screen did you use?

I don't know; I just stumbled upon a few of them (new, but custom made from -I think- Minolta screens). It does have a split-image in the center and a ring of microprisms. I also noticed that shims (stickers?) were attached to the sides of the screen.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pics!
glad you find a screen, also consider the Canon ee-s, cheap and magic for fast aperture

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
nice pics!
glad you find a screen, also consider the Canon ee-s, cheap and magic for fast aperture

Thanks Poilu! The EE-S screen is for sure an option if all else fails. But for now the custom screen seems to serve me well!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have (not build in) a FSB screen, just tested it but somehow I don't like it... it works great to f2.8 but beyond that the split prism gets black - it was cheap... should have bought K3 for my D300s Mad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always very very impressive to see samples from this lens.

I am just wondering about those deep dark tones in these photographs, although these photographs are not underexposed... My 135/2.5 produces much lighter tone-values in the shadow parts.
Have you done some Curves/Levels adjustment ?

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tobias!

tobbsman wrote:
I am just wondering about those deep dark tones in these photographs, although these photographs are not underexposed... My 135/2.5 produces much lighter tone-values in the shadow parts.
Have you done some Curves/Levels adjustment ?

I don't exactly remember what I did, but it may be a combination of me underexposing the shots a little, and the camera's response. I will try to do more ETTR in the future (Expose To The Right). I'm still trying to get to grips with the 5D. Different lenses need different exposure compensation on the 5D, so hopefully the experience will come soon Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strong images indeed.

Sharpness (esp. in #2) and contrast (esp. in #1) are amazing...

This is impressive if you have not tweaked the curves in post-processing.
It does not matter you cannot remember. Just take some new photos and show us! Smile