Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

prakticar 80 1.8 got ths beauty!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: prakticar 80 1.8 got ths beauty! Reply with quote

Hi!
This lens is just awesome. Very sharp wide open, perfect saturation, excellent contrast and bokeh. It doesn`t suffer from CA(tiny purple fringing wo - much less than Planar 85/1.4) and loCA is almost invisible! other fast 85mm lenses aren`t so well corrected...i`m realy delighted that this lens is so good and small in one!
Few pics from today:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible. Love the results.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this similar to the Pancolar 80/1.8?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooschey wrote:
Is this similar to the Pancolar 80/1.8?

It`s PB version of Pancolar with mfd 65cm and filter size 52mm. Don`t know are there any other differences between them

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. I just got hold of the Pancolar. It's a really nice and compact lens for 80mm. Just a bit longer than the 50mm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! nice first samples

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations with your new lens (and I mean both the OP and pooschey)! I like the results very much, but I'm speaking as a fellow Pancolar owner (not the PB but the M42 version). This very lens made me sell my Asahi Pentax 85mm F1.8 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar. The Pancolar, in my humble opinion, has more soul than the Tak. That's hard to explain unless you have used them both.

Please show us some more samples in the future! Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shot with the Pancolar once - a fantastic lens!
And you images prove it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: prakticar 80 1.8 got ths beauty! Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
Hi!
This lens is just awesome. Very sharp wide open, perfect saturation, excellent contrast and bokeh. It doesn`t suffer from CA(tiny purple fringing wo - much less than Planar 85/1.4) and loCA is almost invisible! other fast 85mm lenses aren`t so well corrected...i`m realy delighted that this lens is so good and small in one!

I don't know... Every single photo from you has been great... I think it's more the photographer than then lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be an awesome lens, congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures, and the colours just leap out at you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples!

karabud wrote:

It`s PB version of Pancolar with mfd 65cm and filter size 52mm. Don`t know are there any other differences between them

I think that these two difference imply at least a minor redesign of the optical scheme, and maybe also a difference in the optical glass formula.

A smaller front glass usually means less problems with aberrations and improved flare control, but if the speed of the lens remains the same, it means that the loss of incoming light must have been compensated somehow by a smaller luminosity loss through the optical path (either by rearranging or changing elements, or by use of different chemical elements in the optical glass formula)

The different minimum focusing distance is another indicator that there could be at least a slight difference in the optical scheme. Usually manufacturers set the minimum focusing distance at a value that does not compromise much the performance of the lens (which is usually calibrated at infinity). The fact that the Prakticar lens has a closer focusing distance than the Pancolar lens probably means that the Prakticar lens was (re)designed to obtain a more favoreable performance at the typical portrait-taking distance, while obviously the Pancolar lens was optimized more towards infinity.
_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh My God.. I am astonished. Your skills sure help but the lens looks superb. Congrats.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you adapt it to your 5D? Mount replacement?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
How did you adapt it to your 5D? Mount replacement?

Thx guys!

I`m using PB-EOS adaptor without any problems. It focus to about 20-40m wide open. There is no problem with mirror because this adapter allow to move lens when attached but lens keeps very stabile.

Orio: Filter size is different probably because of external design is diffrent; your reflection seems to be very close to the truth. Maybe koji will help?he got Pancolar&Prakticar and maybe he can confirm that optic design changes like you suggested

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio's theory is interesting one, but their optics look identical to me.
The different filter sizes are I guess Pancolar 80/1.8 has bevel in
its front to accommodate it has a larger diameter, whereas Prakticar
80/1.8 has its name at the side of lens barrel as you see in the photo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the different barrel explains the difference in thread size.
So it's very likely that the optical design is identical, except perhaps for a lttle adjustment of position of some internal element to accommodate for the nearer MFD. Something that would not change the optical character of the lens, except that it may make it better optimized for portraits (which would be desireable I think in that focal lenght).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few pics more:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to my eyes Very Happy

Cool statues Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two portraits taken with this little lens:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, superb portraits!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb shots, but you have a beautiful subject so you are cheating Razz

Fun aside: great tonality and depth in the first one. Tye eyes really stand out. The second one is a bit too busy for my taste, but the Pancolar did well given the difficult subject. Both were shot wide open?

Do you have the 5D MkI or MkII?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx guys;
Yes both are f1.8 or f2; background wasn`t excellent but Prakticar is still good one Smile This is very interesting lens for portraits - it`s sharp and soft simultaneously Smile ; more different than Planar 1.4/85 than i tought; it`s more classic portrait lens as Attila said,