Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Praktica VLC3 almost ready...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Praktica VLC3 almost ready... Reply with quote

It's almost ready, but sometimes I'm quite perfectionist.
I'd like to clean the focusing screen, (some debris from the damper sit behind it).
The VLC3 has a nice removable prism+viewfinder, and the set can be removed with just the push of a button.
However, I do not realize how to proceed onwards: I'm afraid to force any of the shim tabs, or do any damage by not dissasembling it properly.
I've found very little info on the net about the VLC3, and none regarding the Prism+viewfinder set.
Any of you have any clue, pointer or indication to dissasemble the prism?.
Thanks in advance,
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, try here - the archive covers a broad range of cameras and it's worth leaving a query.
http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Jes, try here - the archive covers a broad range of cameras and it's worth leaving a query.
http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi

David,
Many thanks for the pointer. I already searched that and the Butkus site without any result. I've sent an email to Praktica, requesting for the info. Let's see what happens.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Not much hope left... Reply with quote

The positive side is that Praktica has answered very quiclky, the negative side is the answer:

Dear Mr. Jesito,

you can send in the camera to us. Our technicians will make an estimation of the costs and send the estimation back to you. If you should agree to the costs you will receive an invoice which you have to pay via bank transfer (sorry we don't accept checks). If you should decline the costs you have to pay a fee anyway. In that case the unrepaired camera will be send back to you.

PENTACON GmbH
Foto- und Feinwerktechnik
Enderstraße 94
01277 Dresden
Deutschland/Germany

Please save the remaining pictures on your SD card and camera since we can not be held responsible for any kind of data loss. It also would help if you could print out this e-mail for the service technician and enclose it with the package. Thank you.

BTW, does anybody know where the SD card fits in the VLC3?. Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes wrote:
Please save the remaining pictures on your SD card and camera

Shocked Laughing Confused Razz Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Not much hope left... Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Please save the remaining pictures on your SD card and camera since we can not be held responsible for any kind of data loss.

How sad Sad
I have to say, that customer service at Zeiss is completely on another level.

-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Not much hope left... Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
The positive side is that Praktica has answered very quiclky, the negative side is the answer:

They gave me a similar answer about my Pentacon 300/4 servicing...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Not much hope left... Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Dear Mr. Jesito,

you can send in the camera to us. Our technicians will make an estimation of the costs and send the estimation back to you. If you should agree to the costs you will receive an invoice which you have to pay via bank transfer (sorry we don't accept checks). If you should decline the costs you have to pay a fee anyway. In that case the unrepaired camera will be send back to you.

PENTACON GmbH
Foto- und Feinwerktechnik
Enderstraße 94
01277 Dresden
Deutschland/Germany

Please save the remaining pictures on your SD card and camera since we can not be held responsible for any kind of data loss. It also would help if you could print out this e-mail for the service technician and enclose it with the package. Thank you.

BTW, does anybody know where the SD card fits in the VLC3?. Wink

Jes.

A standard reply, by the look of it. I don't think they'd be interested in their older stuff anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I discovered (by reading the manual Wink ) that the prism can be removed easily. The prism does contain the focusing screen as well.
Once the prism out, blowing the screen was very easy.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really have a lot of patience and care with this work!
I would abandon after 10 minutes I am afraid.
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
You really have a lot of patience and care with this work!
I would abandon after 10 minutes I am afraid.
-

Sometimes I get fed up. Specially when I'm unable to get to a specific point, and I have to leave it for a while.

I love fixing things and that afterwards can be used for a long time...
This weekend I'll go out with the Praktica and the Yashica Electro 35, (and probably with the Minox as well). They have to be ready and tested for the Carnival, that for us is in two weeks.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow impressive this prism, great tutorial

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Praktica VLC3 almost ready... Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
It's almost ready, but sometimes I'm quite perfectionist....

Sometimes I get fed up. Specially when I'm unable to get to a specific point, and I have to leave it for a while....

I wish there were more people like you Jes! Smile

It looks like you've done a magnificent job, I hope you enjoy using it. I have its older sister, a PLC2. Can you say what are you doing about the battery? I heard you can use an ordinary AA 1.5v battery but I haven't tested this. It fits between the contacts OK, and I know the Praktica has a "bridge" circuit which copes with voltage variations, but 1.5v seems a long from the original 4.5v mercury battery (PX21).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to take three 1,5V button shape batteries,put them into a small tube and solve the contact problems. Simple AA is not enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Praktica VLC3 almost ready... Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Jesito wrote:
It's almost ready, but sometimes I'm quite perfectionist....

Sometimes I get fed up. Specially when I'm unable to get to a specific point, and I have to leave it for a while....

I wish there were more people like you Jes! Smile

It looks like you've done a magnificent job, I hope you enjoy using it. I have its older sister, a PLC2. Can you say what are you doing about the battery? I heard you can use an ordinary AA 1.5v battery but I haven't tested this. It fits between the contacts OK, and I know the Praktica has a "bridge" circuit which copes with voltage variations, but 1.5v seems a long from the original 4.5v mercury battery (PX21).

Thanks for your kind words, Peter.
I thought I put the breakdown of the adapter, but it seems I forgot it.
Attila is right:

Attila wrote:
You need to take three 1,5V button shape batteries,put them into a small tube and solve the contact problems. Simple AA is not enough.

So the first step is to find a tube that fits the battery holder on the Praktica. After the good results of a marker body for the Electro 35, I followed the same track:

Attila was so kind of including a battery with the Praktica body, has been very useful to know the exact dimensions of the adapter.

Once the marker body empty and (moreless) clean, it has to be cut to the right size:

And yes, as Attila said, three button 1,5 volt batteries, add up 4,5 volt.
Next, polishing the extremes, and first fitting test. I kept the screwed side of the marker to indicate the "+" side.

Since the internal diameter of the marker was too wide for the batteries, I added a filling cylinder of paper. Also I cut a piece of spring to fill in the remaing space:

so here we have the adapter with a finished spring

Now time to put in the batteries:

And that's all folks! Wink
Hope this helps.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very important guide ! Many thanks Jes! I would publish in an standalone article in mflenses.com. To increase the chance to find by more people.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This is a very important guide ! Many thanks Jes! I would publish in an standalone article in mflenses.com. To increase the chance to find by more people.

It would be fine, Attila. How should I do it?.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Duplicate post, sometimes happens, sorry!)

Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do by my self just copy from here to there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I will do by my self just copy from here to there.

Ok, thanks Attila!...

More to come Smile.

I'm reworking an article that I wrote for a spanish forum not long ago, about how to improve a cheapy tripod by replacing the fixed head on the top by a standard screw to allow using a standard head.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ! Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Praktica VLC3 almost ready... Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

The best ideas are always very simple, but it takes a genius to think of them! Now I just have to wait until my marker pen runs dry! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Praktica VLC3 almost ready... Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Jesito wrote:

The best ideas are always very simple, but it takes a genius to think of them! Now I just have to wait until my marker pen runs dry! Smile

Hi Peter, Smile.
It's also a way of improving recycling...

Jes.