Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Extreme macro 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Extreme macro 2 Reply with quote

Here is nice weather for growing snowflakes Smile
Todays gear - Canon 40D, Macro rings, 2x extender, Pancolar 50/1.8+reversed Revuenon 50/1.4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing more beautiful than nature, and nobody better than you to bring it into a frame!!

*hundredthumbs-up*

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:
There's nothing more beautiful than nature, and nobody better than you to bring it into a frame!!

*hundredthumbs-up*

Cheers
Tobias

Smile Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!
Any idea about magnification?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Exclamation Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Beautiful!
Any idea about magnification?

No idea! Smile Thesse snowflakes are about 2-3 mm in diameter.
We can make a little calculations - if smalests snowflake is 2mm, and camera sensor size is 22mm horizontally, and in the image snowflake appears as 1/3 from horizontal edge, so it is 7,3mm snowflake on the sensor. Than 7,3/2=3.65 ok lets say 3.7, so now we get magnification ratio of lens - 1:3.7. Next - magnification on the sensor (15x22mm) size is 3.7 times, if we enlarge this imaage up to 15x20cm (6x8in) print, we get magnification 37 times, if i look on image on my 21" monitor (30x40cm) than i have magnification 148 times Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fairly extreme! At least by my macro requirements it is. Laughing Laughing

I'm interested though, with two lenses head to head how do you pre-focus and pre-set the apertures? Do you end up working both lenses to get the final image or what?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
That's fairly extreme! At least by my macro requirements it is. Laughing Laughing

I'm interested though, with two lenses head to head how do you pre-focus and pre-set the apertures? Do you end up working both lenses to get the final image or what?

I have only one light from flash medeling light (its dark outside), so, i focusesd with aperture wide open, and when im ready to shot, i stop down aperture unly ob first (from camera side) lens. Reversed lens gives strong vingetig when aperture is closed Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely macros. Snow flakes are always interesting objects.

I must try some thing like this. Can I check how do you mount your two lens together? Is it with a adapter ring?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Lovely macros. Snow flakes are always interesting objects.

I must try some thing like this. Can I check how do you mount your two lens together? Is it with a adapter ring?

Lenses are mount with black scotch tape Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing.
This is very nice setup you have here Smile And the snowflakes look so perfect !
Very Happy

Can you clarify what is the role of the 2x extender ?
It is a 2x TC right?

I was reading some time ago that typically for those reversed lens setups it's better to have a long lens on camera side and wide lens reversed in front of it.

Is that true ?
Please share your experience.

Thanks
Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great macros! Reminds me of the fact that in winter the macro season isn't gone! Very, very good job, thanks for showing!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Thanks for sharing.
This is very nice setup you have here Smile And the snowflakes look so perfect !
Very Happy

Can you clarify what is the role of the 2x extender ?
It is a 2x TC right?

I was reading some time ago that typically for those reversed lens setups it's better to have a long lens on camera side and wide lens reversed in front of it.

Is that true ?
Please share your experience.

Thanks
Stefan

Yes, its true about telelens on camera, and wide or 50mm lens in front. Short focused lens works like a close up macro lens - 50mm lens is equal to +20D closup lens.
From my experience TC increase magnification few times. Nice setup is 135mm lens and macro rings between lens and TC. TC connects directly on camera. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macro or micro photography ? Laughing
Great pictures.

Bravo,
roby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrkradio wrote:
Macro or micro photography ? Laughing
Great pictures.

Bravo,
roby

By the way - where ends macro, and where starts micro photography?? Smile Smile I can reach magnification till lens touches the object Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question... not sure ... i think that over 10x we could speak of micro, but absolutely IMHO.

Keep up the good work,
roby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!
I'm looking forward for some snow to verify my set up.
That would be one reason. Another one is that I love skating. So many rinks around me, last year almost every evening I was out skating.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are really amazing, I've thought about trying to venture into this kind of stuff but have so far veered away because of the amount of time it seems to take. Great work and also clearly takes a lot of patience.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So beautiful... great work!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for info, taping lenses together obviously works very well but there are cheap double-threaded connecting rings available that screw into the two lenses' filter rings for those who prefer a more conventional link.

I really like the colour on these shots.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOUAAAAAAAA !