Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lake Como, part 2 (Moltrasio)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Lake Como, part 2 (Moltrasio) Reply with quote

11. Summicron-R 2/50 Leica

12. Distagon 2/28 'Hollywood' Contax

13. Distagon 3.5/15 Contax

14. Planar 1.4/85 Rollei

15. Distagon 3.5/15 Contax

16. Distagon 3.5/15 Contax

17. Distagon 1.4/35 Contax

18. Distagon 1.4/35 Contax

19. Distagon 1.4/35 Contax

20. Distagon 1.4/35 Contax

21. Distagon 3.5/15 Contax

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results Orio. Is Mandello where they had the Moto Guzzi factory near Lake Como?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superbly done!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive! Exclamation
I liked your shots.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys!

@ xjjohnno: yes, Mandello del Lario is on the Lake Como. But I never been there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, promise me to visit and take some photos. Also see if the Guzzi faxtory is still there and try to get some pics of some of their more historic bikes like the V8 500cc GP bike.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
Orio, promise me to visit and take some photos. Also see if the Guzzi faxtory is still there and try to get some pics of some of their more historic bikes like the V8 500cc GP bike.

Ok, If possible next time I go to the lake I'll visit the village - Guzzi is now owned by Piaggio (the makers of Vespa), whose headquarters are in a town near Pisa. I don't know if they produce motos in the Mandello del Lario factory today, or if it's only the Guzzi offices and the museum.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19 & 21 my favorites... love the way the 1.4/35 draws

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots, Orio. If I could drive there, I'd check it out this weekend, and I'd make sure I visited the Moto-Guzzi plant ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice as always. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent composition in #12 Orio!
It just feels true to the place.
I cannot describe it better, but seeing it I thought "yes, this is the place we went to!".
Interestingly, most of my own photos from this spot fail to provoke the same feeling.

Did your ColorChecker help with the plant color in #18?
I can never get this color right with my 5D. It always turns out completely different in the photos.
I missed this plant. Was it near the farthest point we reached before return down? Near the one in #17?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
Excellent composition in #12 Orio!
It just feels true to the place.
I cannot describe it better, but seeing it I thought "yes, this is the place we went to!".
Interestingly, most of my own photos from this spot fail to provoke the same feeling.

Nikos, I think that every photographer has an advantage in his own country, because he's into the "feeling" of the place more intimately, even if he never went to a particular place before (like in my case with these villages), he still can feel better where is the "identity".

Quote:
Did your ColorChecker help with the plant color in #19?

No, I did not use the color checker at all that day. I just set the colour temperature the way I like it - which is usually colder than what most people prefer. But I like colder hues better: not only they are more pleasing to my eyes, they also give more depth and more sense of distance - and help with "3D" as well.

Quote:
I can never get this color right with my 5D. It always turns out completely different in the photos.

I noticed that problem with violet colour. With purple and magenta instead I get good results from the 5DII. But perhaps it's because I custom edit the temperature and balance. I rarely accept for the final production the AWB value from the camera. If I am too lazy/relaxed not to do proper calibration on location, I set camera to AWB to have a rough starting point that works sufficiently for most situations, then I customize temperature and balance in Lightroom.

Quote:
I missed this plant. Was it near the farthest point we reached before return down? Near the one in #17?

It was along the same street side where you stepped up on the little wall to photograph for me the Giant Agave.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Orio, looks like there is a Moto Guzzi museum at Lario del Mandello.
http://www.cimt.it/museums_and_factories.htm#motoguzzi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
Good luck Orio, looks like there is a Moto Guzzi museum at Lario del Mandello.
http://www.cimt.it/museums_and_factories.htm#motoguzzi

I know, I wrote about that in my previous message.
THe problem is that even if I go to that museum, I would probably miss most of the fans favourites, since I am ignorant about the motorbike models.
Imagine a motorbike fan that visit an old camera fair, for him an old FED and a Leica III would be the same - same for me with historical motorbikes, maybe I would photograph an historically uninteresting one, and miss a major one... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

It was along the same street side where you stepped up on the little wall to photograph for me the Giant Agave.

Ah yes! Here is your Agave.

Canon 17mm TS @ f/8. Fully shifted down.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoooo, stunning series ! The scenery is of delicious too.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great series, my favs #12#15
the Canon shot is so flat and poor contrast that it put down quality of the thread