Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

From an autumn walk with my favourite lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: From an autumn walk with my favourite lens Reply with quote

A few shots from to-day, Radionar on 5D, playing with light and bokeh, makes more sense to me now than the banal post-card shots at http://galactinus.net/vilva/porvoo/views.html.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to posting pictures here, Veijo!
I remember your Radionar to be less soft than this - or is my memory at fault? I remember it with a smooth bokeh and all, but with more detail in the in-focus areas.
Anyway I like it a lot better than modern soft focus lenses or filters, because the images feel coherent with the lens, they don't look like tricks or post-pro.

P.S. I like your postcard images Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic work ! #2 is great ...

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !

I like the 2 last ones very, very much ! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fabulous!
as beautiful as you 'postcard' photos are, these are special.

really love the colors and the sense of depth on the first one, most of the lower part makes the impression as if under water!
no 2 and 4 rival for 2nd spot Wink

thank you very much for sharing these,

best regards,
Andreas

edit: may I ask which Radionar, which lens exactly this is?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great apo lens & highlights mastering!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Veijo!
Soft I'd say but it has that dreamy glow that make them pop.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Welcome back to posting pictures here, Veijo!

Thanks, I haven't been doing much photography practically all of this year, mostly only thinking about it. There have been other, unavoidable things to be done, and I've also wanted to get away from my lens testing phase to something more creative, to doing my own thing in photography.

Quote:
I remember your Radionar to be less soft than this - or is my memory at fault? I remember it with a smooth bokeh and all, but with more detail in the in-focus areas.

Your memory is OK, but this time I've really pushed the Radionar towards soft focus and Gaussian bokeh. I removed the screw which stopped the front cell focusing below 1 meter and turned the lens almost another round.

Quote:
Anyway I like it a lot better than modern soft focus lenses or filters, because the images feel coherent with the lens, they don't look like tricks or post-pro.

Most soft focus lenses aren't quite this soft, filters produce a quite different effect, and with PP it would be well nigh impossible to reproduce this kind of depth dependent softness. A harsher bokeh would be destructive in photos with delicate in-focus detail, e.g., single reeds or twigs. The coherent softness of this kind of photos makes them feel restful, tranquil and sometimes even soothing, at least in my mind.

Quote:
P.S. I like your postcard images Embarassed

Well, I guess they are OK as postcards go, but there is nothing very personal about them, there are millions and millions like them on the net - only most people don't post their shot at full-res.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:
fantastic work ! #2 is great ...

Thanks, it took some effort to find a suitable shooting position for the shot I had in mind.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
WOW !

Thanks.

Quote:
I like the 2 last ones very, very much ! Shocked

In a way the last but one is my favourite, especially the lower left corner, which I quite couldn't anticipate. However, sometimes when looking at it I wonder whether it is too much of a good thing, just fairy tale like kitsch, an air-brushed negation of all ugliness.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
fabulous!
as beautiful as you 'postcard' photos are, these are special.

really love the colors and the sense of depth on the first one, most of the lower part makes the impression as if under water!

Thanks. The watery impression is created by the SA softness which becomes noticeable immediately behind the not so sharp focus point.

Quote:
edit: may I ask which Radionar, which lens exactly this is?

It is the 105/4.5 Radionar which was one of my very first acquisitions - an accidental acquisition as I bought the rather battered 6x9 folder camera in order to convert the body into a pinhole camera, which process isn't quite finished yet. The lens is quite sharp, but I've adjusted it to produce an almost ideal Gaussian bokeh.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Welcome back Veijo!

Thanks.

Quote:
Soft I'd say but it has that dreamy glow that make them pop.

The softness is intentional, and the pop if any is the only kind I like. In my sharp photos I don't try to produce "pop", I prefer them to be flat if the depicted reality was flat. These impressionistic photos are another matter, however, they do not try to reproduce reality, in a way they let the viewer fill in blanks with whatever.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep them coming please.