Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Planar 1,4/85: Can it get better than that?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Contax Planar 1,4/85: Can it get better than that? Reply with quote

This photo will never win a photo contest.
However, I post it here because I think the resolution delivered by the Planar and the 5D Mark II is more than impressive.

I wonder, is there a better performer at 1.4?

Stopping down to f/2 gives a boost to contrast and eliminates most CA.
LiveView is essential to get the most of this lens on a DSLR.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think so there is better lens and also don't think so need better performance . It would be nice to compare with couple of other ones. Like Samyang 85mm f1.4 or Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75mm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sharpness of my SMC Pentax-FA* 85mm f/1.4, but it is an AF lens (out of production since 2003; Pentax never made a successor). I don't have a FF digital body to use it on.

I'm not sure about how this compares to the Zeiss but I'm very picky and the FA* never let me down in the sharpness department. I had a Komura 85/1.4 M42 and that lens was a big letdown wide open.

A 100% crop (unprocessed) wide open at f/1.4 from the FA*. I missed the pupil but the hairs are pretty sharp I think.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New ZF/ZE seems to be sharper with far less CA and smoother bokeh. Zeiss ZA too; Nikkor af-d is very good and Canon 85L is also exc lens.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
... with far less CA ...

I wish you were right. But I'm afraid you are wrong.
My 2 ZE lenses have cost me more than 2500 Euros. The biggest issue is CA.
Far more than I ever noticed in any of my good Canon lenses (e.g. 24-70, 70-200, 17mm TS-E).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the Z lens, but reviews I read confirm what Nkanellopoulos says.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
karabud wrote:
... with far less CA ...

I wish you were right. But I'm afraid you are wrong.
My 2 ZE lenses have cost me more than 2500 Euros. The biggest issue is CA.
Far more than I ever noticed in any of my good Canon lenses (e.g. 24-70, 70-200, 17mm TS-E).

You are talking about axial or loCA?If axial then new 85 is better a little and sahrper wo; if loCA - there aren`t any f1.4 without loCA...btw look on new nikkor 85/1.4G - bigest loCA ever saw...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Zeiss' MTF charts, the Contax 85/1.2 is sharper at 1.2 than the 85/1.4 is at 1.4. The Canon 85/1.2 and Samyang 85/1.4 may also be sharper at 1.4 than the Zeiss 85/1.4.

So, yes, it does get better 1.4, but I'm not sure how much difference you would notice in the real world. And sharpness isn't everything.

--Geoff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a distance like that the CY is very good. But you try to focus at near MFD and for some reason sharpness and contrast seem to go down.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ersatz wrote:
At a distance like that the CY is very good. But you try to focus at near MFD and for some reason sharpness and contrast seem to go down.

It's for the reason that it's optimized for long focus distances, just like the Planar 50/1.4.

The cheap Rokinon/Samyang 85/1.4 is much sharper at short focus distances, on par with the Canon 85L. Both of them will not beat the Planar for long focus distances.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:

You are talking about axial or loCA?If axial then new 85 is better a little and sahrper wo; if loCA - there aren`t any f1.4 without loCA...btw look on new nikkor 85/1.4G - bigest loCA ever saw...

Well, I am talking about PURPLE fringing (this is usually longitudinal CA I think).
I stress purple, because it is the only color of CA I am able to see.
I am biased by nature on this issue, as I am color-blind (deuteranopia).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
karabud wrote:

Well, I am talking about PURPLE fringing (this is usually longitudinal CA I think).
I stress purple, because it is the only color of CA I am able to see.
I am biased by nature on this issue, as I am color-blind (deuteranopia).

Just shoot in b/w or sell your lenses over ebay and get something sharper Wink

Maybe a cpl filter will help when shooting stuff like in the first pic. Or just avoid shooting wide open stuff that reflects light.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it get any better than that ?
Well.. depends, define "better".

It really comes down to what you prefer.
Buzy bokeh, smooth bokeh, swirly bokeh, donut bokeh, star bokeh, "portrait soft blur", ghosting (yeah, some people seriously love ghosting), vignetting or what ever.

There is a reason why there are so many different builds, lenghts, apertures out there, there is not golden way. And most definately it cant be "your way or the highway".

In here we have a saying: "Kellele ema, kellele tütar".
In rough translation: "Some want the mother, some want the daughter"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL on that saying... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joosep wrote:

best is to take both Cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Joosep wrote:

best is to take both Cool

As I pressed the button to see page 2, I was wondering who is going to say this Laughing