Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lighting and macro photography...how to?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Lighting and macro photography...how to? Reply with quote

Hi
Another question.I have the Macro Takumar 4/50 and I am sitting here playing around with it (being inspired by a certain macro spider) and a flash that I had picked up on eBay.This is the flash below.I have taken a few shots trying at different apertures mainly F16 but not really having a clue where to start.Since I use film I would like some helpful tips /tricks before I waste too much film.Even my photo book was not helpful.
Thanks
My models that I am trying to shoot are my Practika IVFB and Ricoh TLS both chrome...on a red sheet as a background.
The Flash has a setting of 4 angle settings 30,45,60,90...I had it set on 45 to start with.I know direct light would be to harsh am I on the right track.Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flash meter would probably be able to get you ballpark exposure and you can bracket from there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mofo, on-camera flash is never a good solution for closeup shot.
You may be able to attenuate by pointing upwards or adding a diffuser screen, but that would only get you an "ok" shot at best.

I let you the flash experts give you some more detailed solutions, I am not a flash user but if I had to, I would personally go for two synced flashes uisng remote cords to position them, and of course screened, and helped by reflecting panels if needed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart that flash you need also a flash bracket.
Tilt the head as much as possible ( dunno if yours has that feature).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some homebrewed macro-flash setups:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/forums/?ID=153949944

and

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/forums/?ID=153944244

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Mo.
As already pointed out on camera flash is not a working solution for macro (apart the case of a dedicated ring unit = $$$). Mounting the flash on a bracket or on a stand a trigger it with a cable or a wireless device looks like the right solution. I'm experimenting myself with such setup. I found that finding the right exposure involves some math to do, as with older units no TTL metering is available for flash exposures. I've found out that the Calhoun formula
seems to work for me. I've made some promising experiments indoors with a simple subject and got some printable images. Even if I need to make some adjustment I think I got it. I'm using the flash in full manual mode mounted on a small tripod. I also have put together a spread sheet to do all the math for me. I understand that this might not be ideal to work on the field but I have to do with what I have Smile. Using a flash meter might not be a solution as it might not work in such a close range (mine doesn't at least).

For taking the camera portraits I used recently a DIY light tent. In this case I've used the flash on camera, head slightly tilt upwards to make the light bounce on the ceiling of the tent. The lens was a regular 100mm. I overexposed 1 stop (I opened up the iris respect to the flash auto setting)
to get better detail. http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-fd-family-t26620.html

Cheers, M.-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who gave advice.A lot more involved than I thought but a start has been made.
By a bracket do you mean the hand held L shaped bracket that can screw on the bottom of the camera and would hold the flash to the side of the camera?

This looks like the starting point for me
Quote:
For taking the camera portraits I used recently a DIY light tent. In this case I've used the flash on camera, head slightly tilt upwards to make the light bounce on the ceiling of the tent. The lens was a regular 100mm. I overexposed 1 stop (I opened up the iris respect to the flash auto setting)
to get better detail. http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-fd-family-t26620.html

Thanks Marty,I will explore this until I can learn more about the other techniques.I will also see what happens with what I have taken so far.
Do you use a certain film for this kind of macro or does any film work?I am not looking for perfection just seeing what I can do with what I have got.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A budget-wise alternative to flashes is to use portable continuous lights, you don't need powerful/expensive ones if the subject is small, cheap lamps can do, but if you are on film and can't adjust temperature, make sure you put a tungsten filter on the lens - although they tell me that small daylight colored lamps are also available.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio useful tip Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The macro pics taken with an LED ring flash in this thread look well lit. I looked on Ebay, they are about £32.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The macro pics taken with an LED ring flash in this thread look well lit. I looked on Ebay, they are about £32.

I have seen those ring flash set ups...I will put it on my look out for list...which is growing Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Do you use a certain film for this kind of macro or does any film work?
Whatever I have in the camera when I got an inspiration Smile to play a bit. If I'll become more serious about macro I would give preference to a slow one. Lately I'm using either BW and color depending on the mood, Kodak Portra, Ilford HP5+ and Delta 100, and even some Fuji Velvia 50. I know, they're mostly pro stuff, I'm used good Smile . That said I think you're Gold 100 will give you good enough results to begin.

Cheers, M.-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "strobist blogspot" is the ultimate resource for information about using flash.

You probably want to get the flash close over the end of the lens with a diffuser on it (opaque plastic milkbottles can be quite good if they can be chopped up to go over the flash) and you want a reflector very close to your subject on the other side from the flash.

I've used a flash bracket turned sideways under the camera to bring the flash closer to the end of the lens. It worked reasonably well.

Ring flash gives flat lighting which a lot of people don't like. Twin flashes are an alternative that allow a variation in the intensity of light from different sides but the flash you already have would probably work well, too if you arrange it right.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul...I have plenty of plastic milk bottles to play with.The flash above can swivel sideways.Anyway I will get the film developed and see how it turned out ...maybe post results Very Happy Then I can work off the suggestions here in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For macro shooting I use a very cheap home made diffuser that can be used in combination with the on board flash. Here's a photo:

It's a cardboard tube that has alu foil on the inside. At the end - a bit difficult to see - I used some wrapping foil - not the bubble one Very Happy - people use for sending lenses on the mail. It works terrific. The one in the pic is a bit short, it was made for my Takumar 50/4, not for this Vivitar, but it still works. In the Digital MF board I have some pics right now, made with this combi.

If people would have a tutorial how to make it, I could save some time to make one. It's not hard however, probably half an hour work....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using only one flash? Put it on a cable, buy a 40 EUR/USD lightbox and diffuse/distribute the flash through the lightbox. Makes for evenly lit subjects without too shiny parts.

Another alternative is do it yourself

http://thadallender.com/wp-content/uploads/lightbox.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool gizmo RenseH.
As you know, I've seen some insects you've shot and it is really awesome to get the results from such a simple device.

If you have the time, please make a quick how-to description.

/T

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Finally my pictures have some use for the world Smile

Anyhow, I very highly recommend this LED ring light. There is no hassle, everything works smoothly, proper exposure is trivial. I emphasize that this is meant for macro & closeup - 1m is the official to be the maximum - it is nowhere near as powerful as a true flash, but for what it is meant to be used at, it is excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:
Cool gizmo RenseH.
As you know, I've seen some insects you've shot and it is really awesome to get the results from such a simple device.

If you have the time, please make a quick how-to description.

/T
Yep, I will. Give me one or two days, I will make a new one for my Viv+tube, and will make a photo documentary of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great.

I just made a quick and dirty test with a normal drinking glass wrapped in foil and a diffusive paper in one end, and it worked quite nice. Although I had to hold it with one hand. But the method seems like something I have been waiting for a long time.

I could do this with CZJ 35 2.4 after a few test shots to adjust the exposure, very simple indeed Smile (Yes I know, I had to shoot boring domestic things)
Dotted landing strip:

Fuzzy green:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice tomatoes - I've always failed in food photography (maybe I eat the food too fast, I don't know), so pictures like this make me envious.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:
Thats great.

I just made a quick and dirty test with a normal drinking glass wrapped in foil and a diffusive paper in one end, and it worked quite nice. Although I had to hold it with one hand. But the method seems like something I have been waiting for a long time.

You're quite innovative Laughing Laughing Laughing
Great shots. I will make a tube tonight or tomorrow and I will post the 'how to'.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will soon try to do something like that
http://www.naturepixel.com/canon_100macro_mt24ex_580ex_diffuseur_stofen_omni-bounce.htm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked So much more to this than I first thought...so many approaches, thankfully the solutions cover all budgets Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my blog, I've made a description of how I made a new flash diffuser. The link:http://renseblog.stellaria.nl/#post42. Hope it will help you!