Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lighting and macro photography...how to?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great description. It is no rocket science, but stellar results Very Happy

(Although I got better results with my quick and dirty tube than the real one I just built. I'll have to tweak some more to get it perfect)

BR
/T

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:

(Although I got better results with my quick and dirty tube than the real one I just built. I'll have to tweak some more to get it perfect)

BR
/T
Very Happy What's wrong with the new build one? I had to raise the ISO from 100 to 200, in comparison to my 4cm smaller diffuser...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart rig and excellent tutorial, Rense. What about metering? Do you rely on E-TTL automatism?

Cheers, M.-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenseH wrote:
torbod wrote:

BR
/T
Very Happy What's wrong with the new build one? I had to raise the ISO from 100 to 200, in comparison to my 4cm smaller diffuser...

I seem to get way too much light from the flash, but that is better than the other way around. I´ll just fix a few extra diffusing layers that I can add or remove depending on the need.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually shoot at f/16, ISO100, and 1/180". What are your standard settings?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is new to me, so I have no standard exposure yet, but it seems to become 1/60 at f/8 ISO-100 most of the time.
At least these two samples.
Found a dead fly on the carpet this morning, how convenient. Made with the quick and dirty glass device.

A test shot on a coin to get correct exposure. The angle between the surface and the lens seems very crucial for the illumination. Just a little bit difference can mean total over exposure or almost black. It can also change from illumination of the bottom part to the top part of the image. To get an even illumination requires some work. But when it is correct, it is very neet. Made with seriously built device.

Click on the images for better quality. Both shots with CZJ 35 2.4
This is great fun Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots! I think the angle in the last one has to do with the shiny surface of the coin?
It's weird you can only shoot at 1/60", whereas I shoot mostly at 1/180"! But as I said: with this longer combination, I have to go to ISO200 to reach that. I think a fast shutter speed is necessary in windy circumstances or with moving models.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:
Found a dead fly on the carpet this morning

Evidently a crash landing... was the black box found? Wink

Anyhow, a great shot!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shopping around the local camera market and electronics part of town a few weeks ago. I came across some LED lights in a ring for cars. They are supposed to highlight the car's headlights to give a 'halo' effect. I bought two that could be overlapped a 130mm and 110mm rings. After getting home, I managed to hookup both lights to the same power supply and mounted them to a blank 77mm filter ring I had around. I ended up with something like this.

Later I took a shallow takeout container and aluminum foil to make a reflector to concentrate the light forward.

I later found this on the web which used the same LED rings but they managed to fit everything inside a old bulk CD container.

http://metku.net/index.html?path=mods/ring-light/index_eng

Here's a first test shot with the setup. The 12V supply I used was a battery pack with 8xAAA batteries.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a next version with one or two more rings for more light and a bit more depth of field in the shots.

BTW the prototype cost less than US$20 Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome find Wilson. Thank you so much for sharing!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to get more shots with this setup. No excuses for bad weather outside anymore. The test shot was made with the Canon EF Macro 100/2.8L. I need to put the Contax Macro-Planar 100/2.8 into action. But I definitely see a three/four ring light in the future, depends on the diameter of the lenses I'll be using it with.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks wilson. taged for future reference

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my results from using a normal flash....these are the only 2 that really worked.I will have to make that flash of yours RenseH Very Happy
What do you think of the red back drop ...is it too much??
KR10 film camera Macro Tak F4/50mm...
#1 Ricoh singlex TLS

#2 Praktica IVFB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will soon show you mu super engineered Pringels macro flash tube, that sits firmly on the camera without using a rubber band.
I made it to fit my Minolta AF 100 mm macro lens, but it will work on any longer lens. The results is much better than the earlier tubes I have made. I think the diameter shall be as big as possible to transfer much light to the subject. Like a light torch, the bigger the diameter on the reflector, the more concentrated light.

I have only made some shots on dead things as the tip of a scissor this far, but the result is much better than what I have managed earlier. I have also found a good diffuser, just a normal plastic freezing bag. It has high transparency, no color cast and just the right amount of diffusion it seems.

Brb with image proof.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some crappy compact camera pics of the Original Pringles tube.
I needed the full length of the tube, thus I had to make some special arrangement for the flash on the back.

The length was not enough to cut the tube front in correct angle. Thus I reused the cut away piece to extend the length and fix a steeper angle in the front.

Angeled supports for the lens makes the tube rest firmly on almost any lens length or hood diameter.

The little stud to fasten the tube on the flash mount

Gently squeezed in place and almost no light escapes backwards.

Fixated

Spaceship Enterprice in for landing. Translucent plastic bag in front.

No real macro, but the device makes nice product photos also The apricot is not that big, perhaps 1:3 macro.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Very Happy Glad you did not give up on this...nice apricot the colour is fantastic...what did it taste like??? Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I like it Very Happy Glad you did not give up on this...nice apricot the colour is fantastic...what did it taste like??? Wink

Need I say, Yummy Very Happy

Here is something more, unfortunately no bugs out today...

Click on it for native resolution (downsized though)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sharp and you can see the surface texture!! These home made flashes are fantastic....and seem to do the job of a macro flash very well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no reason why you couldn't use a couple of dirt-cheap chinese optical slave flashes on either side of your subject that you could trigger from your main flash. I had these once but duff batteries leaked in them so I can't test the idea.

You could almost certainly also trigger that flash off-camera with a $15 chinese radio trigger and receiver, allowing you to position the flash wherever you want.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update with some better macro shots with the Pringles tube.
(Clivk on them for best IQ)

A wasp on a cherry leaf. A bit tricky to nail since the wind blew all the time. Couldn't capture the whole insect unfortunately.

A beautiful fly. Think if they were big as dogs, haha.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again
I have finally gotten around to making Rense's macro flash/diffuser but I can't seem to find a suitable diffusing material any helpful hints? I have been trying to use baking paper/grease proof paper folded many times...but the image is still all white,with a hint of something there. Confused I don't know where to find the fine wrapping stuff rense used.
Thanks

I just had a thought I had been shooting at F4....a smaller aperture would be better? Embarassed Never mind I just re read the thread and have some ideas Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first decent images using the Macro takumar F4/50 + K200D and Rense's Diffuser....CC please.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my macro shots are either with an Nikon SB 600 fitted with a Stofen diffuser (for fill flash outdoors handheld for mobile subjects) Or my Lester Dine ring/point light. Fstop anywhere from F8-F32 & shutter speeds anywhere from 1/60 to 1/500th depending on which setup & available light.....Both flashes sync up to 1/500th on my Nikon D70s (it's fabulous to have this option) & both flashes have adjustable power levels (actually it just adjusts the flash duration IIRC ...Most of the big & flower shots on my Flickr stream are with flash & handheld (especially the bugs)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo,

Great shot of 'paws' Smile

Regards,