Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Battery question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Battery question Reply with quote

As I'm planning my trip here, I need a spare battery. As originals cost's like hell, I have to satisfy with a China-battery. I'm looking for a decoded ones because I don't want to carry many chargers.

Now I found a one, but description is at Spanish. As my Spanish skills is from the Fast Show, I don't understand it much. Can you help me?
http://cgi.ebay.com/2600mAh-Bateria-Cargador-para-CANON-5D-Mark-II-7D-LC-E6-/270621998626?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item3f0253fe22

Even it's not a decoded one, it has huge mAh's and car recharger.

Is that a decoded one?
What would be your general suggestion for the topic?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one Chinese battery for my 5DII last year
I never need it until now
the charger is small and light

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery of the 5DMkII is such a huge improvement over the 5D one!
With the 5D and grip (2 batteries), I could never complete one afternoon of shooting e.g. at the carnival. I always had to switch batteries before the day was ended.

With the 5DII and the grip (also 2 batteries) I can shoot one whole day (morning and afternoon) and remain with half the power still available.

In fact I often did leave the camera on filming a wall before a new day because I wanted to recharge the batteries and I had to have them exhaust first.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
because I wanted to recharge the batteries and I had to have them exhaust first

no need with Li-Ion battery, they have a processor and charger know how to handle them

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Orio wrote:

no need with Li-Ion battery, they have a processor and charger know how to handle them

Yes, occasionally I do recharge when half charged, but I have read that battery life is longer if they are recharged when almost exhausted (not completely exhausted, always take them off before they power down).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the battery is not decoded at all, you cannot use it on your camera. If it is not fully decoded, you can use it with a third-party charger and it will not give you the battery information on your camera. Most Canon third-party battery will charge on the orginal Canon charger and gives battery information except the new LP-E6.

Last edited by calvin83 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 5Dii with a grip. I have a decoded battery and the Canon original and I have only recharged them once since new in July. It seems good on power.

Unfortunately I bought a couple of spares and a 3rd party charger which just sit in the camera bag `just in case'. My OCD won't let me use them as the battery indicator won't work. Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeiEizh wrote:
I'm looking for a decoded ones because I don't want to carry many chargers

the non decoded charger can also charge the 5DII original battery, so you need to carry only the non decoded charger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
poilu wrote:
Orio wrote:

Yes, occasionally I do recharge when half charged, but I have read that battery life is longer if they are recharged when almost exhausted (not completely exhausted, always take them off before they power down).

That only applied to NiCads. Later chemistries (especially Li-Ion) don't suffer from partial discharging then recharging. You can merrily charge at any level of exhaustion you like (down to 20% charge remaining) and battery life won't suffer. It also seems that it actually extends battery life by having only a 25% - 30% drain before recharging.
I picked up this info from electric bicycle forums, where battery life and handling is everything Smile