Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fruit trees blossoming at night
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Fruit trees blossoming at night Reply with quote

A photographic story of prayers...

Every image carries a link to its corresponding 1400px version. However, all photos can be seen in its gallery on my website (1400pxlers)

1400px-version

1400px-version

1400px-version

1400px-version

1400px-version

1400px-version

Lens: Nikon 28mm f/2
Camera: Nikon D700
Nodal Ninja 5 panoramic head
Light: around Full Moon

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Shocked
Artistic full moon shots.
Like this kind of different view of common subjects.
Thanks.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it , great creative idea!

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywood used a trick (maybe a filter) which enabled daylight shots to look like it was at night.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a refreshing take on what normally is quite boring (wide-angle HDR). The series is wonderful!

Vilhelm

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely lovely colors. How do you manage to tweak the sky into this blue color?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom one is best for me. Prayer, indeed. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the last one, too.
I have a technical question: you surely needed long exposure times for this series, how could you keep the stars as points and not make them leave the trail?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all Smile

No “tricks” used to make these panoramas… I din’t use a special filter – aside an ND10 I never use a filter anyway, and using ND10 at night… Neither these are HDR images. All panoramas shown are assembled from single exposures, with every exposure being 30s.

Quote:
How do you manage to tweak the sky into this blue color?

The sky is that blue because of moonlight. In the absence of moonlight, Belgian skies usually colour black with orange (light pollution). Night photography in this country is a win-win situation when taking advantage of moonlight, because moonlight creates beautiful contrast in the image (like morning/evening sun) and the blue sky combines nicer with the orange light pollution than black.

Quote:
I have a technical question: you surely needed long exposure times for this series, how could you keep the stars as points and not make them leave the trail?

The answer to your question is a combination of two things. Firstly, there is the Rule of 600. This rule states that the maximum exposure (T) you can use for a certain focal length (L) without obtaining star trails is T = 600/L (with T in seconds and L in mm). For a D700 and 28mm lens, this means that T = 600/28 = 21s. If you’d shoot with a 50mm lens, this would be T = 600/50 = 12s. The longer the focal length, the faster you’ll obtain star trails.
The answer also has a second part… I have already told you that every exposure is 30s, but I also indicated that the maximum exposure time to avoid star trails equals 21s… So I should have some! And I indeed do have a little trail formation, but… All images you see (except one) have a FoV of 180°. The panoramas are considerably squeezed when assembling them into a 2D-image. Just look at the size of that gorgeous model (Wink) and imagine the size of a tiny star trail… You won’t notice it…

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images, and a well handled technique, I didn't know the 600 rule Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing shots. The last one is my favourite. Thanks for the 600 rule, a useful one to know. I actually like star trails and using this I can work out how to get better ones!

Best wishes, K.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Very interesting, dramatic effect. Different from usual, really impressive I've to say.

Cheers, M.-

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing shots,
I never see before, thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea. Good work!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question about the rule of 600 :

Let's say I use 50mm F1.4 600/50 = 12sec. ok but 12 seconds for which F? 1.4? 2.8?

Maybe you mean whatever the F value is the time should not be more than 12secs? Meaning 12seconds must be the maximum, if F11 needs 30 seconds than forget about it ?!? Is that so?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great fun-stuff !
congrats, last one is just perfect !

Cheers
TObias