Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1:1 macro ~50mm what are the options?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: 1:1 macro ~50mm what are the options? Reply with quote

I only know of Auto Tak, what are other options for around/less than $100?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some cheap solutions
http://forum.mflenses.com/meyer-trioplan-on-5dii-t26199.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/industar-50-2-on-5dii-t26168.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-44-2-on-5dii-t26136.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu, those are great! The bees shots are incredible! I assumed you used bellow on all three series? Does it lower the amount of light or reduce the field of view? Sorry for my ignorance...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another cheap option is to reverse standard lens on short tube for very sharp results

super multicoated Tak 55mm 1.8 25mm tube iso 100/f16 @200th/sec of cam flash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: My new macro lens Reply with quote

These images are not crops, but resized images. Just stunning image quality! Almost no color aberrations and distortions - very high resolution. The lens is in almost mint condition. I think I can just bare to sell it for that 100 bucks if you play for p&p...

All images almost unprocessed. No CA-correction or such applied Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soft croma macro portraits for rich insect customers ??
Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
I assumed you used bellow on all three series? Does it lower the amount of light or reduce the field of view?

I used a small bellow, it doesn't change amount of light or field of view compared to a macro lens and you can go higher than 1:1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch, I've always thought that using an extension tube or bellow increase the F stop, I must have gotten it mixed up with something else... poilu, is the bellow difficult to setup on smaller camera?

Also, has anyone used the MD 50/3.5 macro with extension tube?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a macro focusing teleconverter + standard 50mm lens? Vivitar and Panagor made some great ones Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
How about a macro focusing teleconverter + standard 50mm lens? Vivitar and Panagor made some great ones Smile

I concur. I have a Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter in Nikon mount. Combined with a fast 50mm lens, it makes a decent 100mm, 1:1 macro. Lens must be stopped at least 2 stops down for reasonable sharpness and contrast.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got an el cheapo reverse adapter, will see if I need to try the other methods you all suggested.

So the macro focusing teleconverter has an element in it? Does it affect the image quality? And what are the pros and cons of this vs using an extension tube/bellow without an element? Sorry for my newbieness again...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Thanks a bunch, I've always thought that using an extension tube or bellow increase the F stop, I must have gotten it mixed up with something else... poilu, is the bellow difficult to setup on smaller camera?

The 50mm with factory tube is on my wish list. Early versions you not likely to find under $100, but the later ones marked MD you can.This is another Minolta lens that the prices are rising on. I plan to buy one pretty soon, but no I haven't tried one yet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexanderpolo wrote:
Quote:

Well Ive only recently bought the Minolta MD 50mm 3.5 Macro including the extensiontube 1:2-1:1 and I must confess the optical performance is amazing. Altough the lens has been mounted with an adapter, wich has a builtin lens, to a Nikon D1x with only 5,74mp the result is still visable. With the extensiontube however things are really close! Unfortunately I havent got a proper tripod so I had to take the foto handheld. Embarassed Moving 2mm could mean that the foto is slightly out of focus!
The Foto I have included has been taken without the extension. The flower measures in diameter app. 1,5-2,0cm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think cheapest M42 native 1:1 macro is Komine Vivitar 55/2.8. More expensive are Yashinon 60/2.8 or the mentioned Takumar.

Cheapest option are old enlarger lenses on bellows or focusing helicoids.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raynox DCR-250!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Thanks a bunch, I've always thought that using an extension tube or bellow increase the F stop, I must have gotten it mixed up with something else...

Extension does cause light loss/increases the F stop. But the loss is the same whether it is through bellows/extension tubes/helical focussing in the lens itself. Lenses with internal focussing are an exception.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schacht Ulm M-Travenar 2.8/50

Last edited by mflex-on on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 55/3.5 micro - you can get it very cheaply these days and it is one of the sharpest made. Else the 50/2.8 el nikkor on a bellows - extreme quality for peanuts.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 is great. Other option is M42 lens like Tak 50mm 1.4 mounted in a Nikon body.

Shot made this weekend Micro at 3.5 han held

Tak 55mm 1.4 example at 1.4 hand held

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Nikkor 55/3.5 micro goes 1:1 without tube?

I have tried the reverse macro with a 50mm, but the DOF is too narrow for me to hand held, so I am getting tubes to be used with my 50/1.4. If it doesn't work either, I will try to get dedicated macro... Embarassed

Thanks for all your suggestions, much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aleksander,
I guess my Micro 55 3.5 goes...at least the inscription on the lens tells me so.
If I am wrong, please let me know.

I am sory the crapy image I just do it in a hurry to show you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon FD Macro lens is very cheap these days because it won't focus to infinity on an EOS except when used with a corrective optical adapter. With a plain FD-EOS mount adapter, though, it does work in its macro range on an EOS. The images it produces are outstanding. On full frame the lens goes down to 1:2 but with the 1.6 crop factor on my 7D it will reach down to nearly 1:1.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Fernando,

AFAIK, no manual focus 55 mm Micro-Nikkors go to 1:1 without a tube, other than the oldest 5.5cm/f3.5 (photo at http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/f55b.jpg.

The engravings on your lens barrel show the reproduction ratios (with a tube if bigger than 1:2) and focused distances.

I´ve got a little older aperture compensating version, and it shows the corresponding aperture values as well.

Markku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Markku,

Thank you very much.

Fernando

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Does the Nikkor 55/3.5 micro goes 1:1 without tube?

I have tried the reverse macro with a 50mm, but the DOF is too narrow for me to hand held, so I am getting tubes to be used with my 50/1.4. If it doesn't work either, I will try to get dedicated macro... Embarassed

Thanks for all your suggestions, much appreciated.

At around 1:1 the DOF will be very limited. Extension tubes and dedicated macro lenses, however will not improve DOF when using same effective apeture.

Last edited by fergus on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total