Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Duel
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Duel Reply with quote

For some reason it reminded me the old movie:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067023/

My prints are usually more realistic, this time I chose to depart from reality to give it a kinda scary/disturbing look.
Technicalities:
Camera/lens: Canon T-90 Canon nFd 35mm f2
The picture was originally taken on FP4+ rated at ISO 64 with a green filter and developed in Perceptol 1+3 for 16'48".
The print was realized on Foma MG 311 grade 4 developed in Neutol WA.
(The scan is made from print).

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a sharp-looking peterbilt.

i remember that movie. with bruce dern?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was one of Spielberg's first, with Dennis Weaver.

Love this one, Marty! Cool

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always nice to see real chemical prints on the forum.
I have trouble reading the blacks in the image, don't know if it's your choice of if it's because of the scanning.
The truck really looks like the one in the movie, not easy to see them here in Italy, you must have found a rarity!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's right, weaver, from a stephen king short story ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
that's right, weaver, from a stephen king short story ...

Richard Matheson wrote the short story, which first appeared in Playboy. Found out the truck used was a 1955 Peterbilt 281. I never saw the
theatrical release, only the ABC TV movie back in 1971.

youtube has the entire movie:

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=duel%2C+spielberg&page=1&qsrc=121&dm=all&ab=5&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.google.com%2Fvideoplay%3Fdocid%3D5370479393460637420&sg=%2BWP1LCJQSXLglkbn8mgzpzLB4VOOrbn%2BrwRLe841GDM%3D&tsp=1270103275876

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, everybody and thanks for stopping by.
fish4570 wrote:
that is a sharp-looking peterbilt.

In all its living glory...Smile Thank you, Fish.
Katastrofo wrote:
It was one of Spielberg's first, with Dennis Weaver.
Love this one, Marty! Cool

That very one, Bill. Thanks.
Orio wrote:
It's always nice to see real chemical prints on the forum.
I have trouble reading the blacks in the image, don't know if it's your choice of if it's because of the scanning.
The truck really looks like the one in the movie, not easy to see them here in Italy, you must have found a rarity!

Thank you, Orio. The blocked shadows are part my choice and part due to scan. In the actual print there is a bit more detail in the darkest areas. The picture was taken in Northern California, so not quite a rarity in truth Smile.
fish4570 wrote:
...from a stephen king short story

Than one was "Maximum Overdrive" (1986) directed by King himself and starred by Emilio Estevez. The short story title was "Trucks" and appeared in the collection "Night Shift".
There might might be a sort of connection, though, as King mentioned Matheson to be one of his favorites during his young age.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so my memory is that of a mentally failing old man. but i DO remember rerading the short story in playboy ... Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talkin about "Trucks" it might well be, SK work used to be published by several magazines before becoming the bestseller author we know as today Smile . Most of his earlier short stories followed that way before to be included in his collections.

Best, Marty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great truck shot in a very restful athmosphere. Seems that the truck is making a sleep there ...

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you tobbs.
In a way it could be, it was just before sunset. But, remember, it's a sleep like the one of a cat. With just one eye closed and the other half open. It's watching you, and if you came too close it'll be soon after you.... Laughing just kidding Laughing

Cheers, M.-