Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[some MF] Carnevale 2010 - day 1, part 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: [some MF] Carnevale 2010 - day 1, part 3 Reply with quote

Third and last bunch.
This is mostly of AF pictures, except a few which I will note.
I had to do a lot of editing work (both pre and post) in order to make these images acceptable in comparison with the Zeiss images. I did not succeed in all cases. The quality gap is really huge. Sometimes it does well to touch it with your hands and realize that you will never want to get back to AF really!

Some of the images show that it was very cold towards the end of the day! Shocked

Contax Distagon 25

Contax Vario-Sonnar 100-300

Contax Vario-Sonnar 100-300

Contax Distagon 25

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images and a fun-looking festival.
Which AF-lenses did you use?

It would be interesting to see comparable crops between zeiss and AF-lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soikka wrote:
Nice images

thank you

Quote:
Which AF-lenses did you use?

Only one lens, the 85mm 1.8
I only have two AF lenses, this, and the 60mm 2.8 macro

soikka wrote:
It would be interesting to see comparable crops between zeiss and AF-lenses.

The AF 85mm does not really have a sharpness problem.
It's a different type of problem, that you can see clearly by comparing these first two images with the following two:

I choosed images with similar subjects so to provide a common basis.
Lighting is the same (foggy day)
As you can see, there are images where the objects are well separated, were the colours show a lot more resolution, the hues are distinct; and ther are images where everything looks flat, there is no dimensionality, the skin does not look alive, and the colours look "strange", to put it mildly.

The first two images are Contax Vario-Sonnar 100-300
The following two images are EF 85mm 1.8

I think there is not much words to add...

P.S: actually there is one thing to add: the two Contax images are unprocessed outside of RAW exposure fine tuning. While the two Canon images are processed to bring out as much possible presence and sparkle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful Orio, the fog makes up great atmosphere.
Sure bring something different than you previous pics.
Also the canon is sure very very flat, it can be made out easily.

The real face off should be both zeiss & canon 85mm primes put together. Maybe you can give the canon 5DII as an advantage Razz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the declaration Orio.

You can see the difference without a problem... The tones are a lot better in the first two.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dakoo wrote:
Wonderful Orio, the fog makes up great atmosphere.

thanks
in fact those of this bunch are the better pictures I think. Surely not because of the AF Laughing but because there was less people and it was easier to walk around and grab more casual photos. No matter if using a zoom, in these events the photographer MUST always walk around, never stay in one place.

Quote:
The real face off should be both zeiss & canon 85mm primes put together. Maybe you can give the canon 5DII as an advantage Razz

There is no competition, really. I don't have the L 85/1.2, so maybe that lens could change the comparison. With the 85/1.8, there is really no game. Sadly for Canon.
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soikka wrote:
Thanks for the declaration Orio.
You can see the difference without a problem... The tones are a lot better in the first two.

Yes, exactly. It is visible at first sight.
Maybe I should bookmark my own thread to show it to people asking why Zeiss lenses should be preferable to Canon's, that are "just as good and with autofocus"... Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many gems in this series, every year you capture better and more!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
many gems in this series, every year you capture better and more!

Thanks! This is a good sign, it means I am improving Smile
I did in fact committ myself this year in improving over the series of the previous year. Fact is, it does not only depend on you, there are other factors, mainly you need to have good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, no matter which lens!
And actually, I think the AF shots are not bad at all!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing serie, great colors. I expected to be happy with your images and it didn't disseapoint, looks like a nice festival in freindly atmosphere.

As for the lens comparison in the two last pix, the Zeiss lens looks so much more contrasted the colors are incredibly alive, it makes look the Canon lens crap :s and i'm sure its a good one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
it makes look the Canon lens crap

Yes, sadly. The difference is embarassing. Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
hexi wrote:

Maybe the Canon is flat on purpose? That gives the photographer much more flexibility in processing.

I agree that the Canon pictures look dull straigth from the camera.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 3d shots are excellent and I'm trying to find a way of matching it on the cheap i.e cheap gem plus photoshop.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
Orio wrote:
hexi wrote:

Maybe the Canon is flat on purpose? That gives the photographer much more flexibility in processing.

I agree that the Canon pictures look dull straigth from the camera.

But mine are not straight from the camera. I worked on them a lot to make them presentable next to the Contax images.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

But mine are not straight from the camera. I worked on them a lot to make them presentable next to the Contax images.

In that case, the Canon disappoints indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I love the yearly carneval shoots of yours, Im glad I stumbled on these as they help with my winter blues. The fog shots are many of my favorites.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Wow, I love the yearly carneval shoots of yours, Im glad I stumbled on these as they help with my winter blues. The fog shots are many of my favorites.

Thank you. I agree, the fog adds something special. Although sunlight would have also been nice Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great atmosphere, I agree with Bruce, the fog shots are my favorites too, I can feel the cold.
Thanks for sharing Orio.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 1 with Carlsson....
What a great pictures and terrific atmosphere Shocked ...
Chapeau!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and to think that the difference in print is even greater in favor of the Contax Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another set of great Carnival images, thanks Orio.
It is obvious in the main sequence when the lens changed and I wasn't particularly looking for it. The Contax is just so much better at what it does.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your speciality Orio: capture of emotions. This time well done again.
Love expressions and also composition at those samples.
Regards MF lenses... There must be something magic in them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for another great visit to your Carnevale Orio. I agree with poilu, this is the best yet, I really feel I was there. I'd like to hear the music though! Smile

Which focus point setting do you use for the AF shots? I thought I could see in one picture the lens had focused on a drum on the left side, rather than the main subject in the centre.