Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Glass negatives from 1910-1930
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Glass negatives from 1910-1930 Reply with quote

Years just my guess.

Last edited by Attila on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:00 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, how big a glass negative is this? Excellent result.

I wonder if a digital file will last 80-100 years. Don't think so.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Wow, how big a glass negative is this? Excellent result.

I wonder if a digital file will last 80-100 years. Don't think so.

6x7cm. Me too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful snapshot of time...any guesses of what is happening in the first shot?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Wonderful snapshot of time...any guesses of what is happening in the first shot?

I think they are making potatoes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first photo, i am gonna guess a textile mill ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would date these earlier, like as end of XIX early beginning of XX century.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking textile or grinding sharpening on the big wheels fine on the smaller wheels with the flat end like a polishing wheel,child labor is still evident......potatoes Confused Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to see more!! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are making Scissors! -- kids are polishing, next two ladies are sharpening, & third girl is strapping.

Second is glass slide of photograph?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
I think they are making Scissors! -- kids are polishing, next two ladies are sharpening, & third girl is strapping.

Absolutely agree, those are belt-driven grinding wheels (the cans on the
pipes either hold oil or water for the wheels) and the lady on the right
is doing the final stropping to the blades.

Also, the two ladies in the middle look like sisters, maybe twins.

Last edited by Katastrofo on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd photo needs Flip Horizontal in Photoshop (it's a mirror image now).

Intriguing, do post more!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did these come from? Are they yours? The fishermen are by a Norwegian photographer called Anders Beer Wilse. His work is regarded as important.

You can see the signature "(something)-Wilse" if you flip the photo and it's just a matter of using Google then to find a photographer with that name. The signature is identical to some on these photos http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Anders_Beer_Wilse.

Look at the signature on this one, for example: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bj%C3%B8rnstjerne_Bj%C3%B8rnson_on_board_Norge.jpg there's no doubt about it at all.
The file number on the fishermen is 11391, which should date it exactly.
This one http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Haugast%C3%B8l_stasjon.jpeg is the summer of 1912 and it several thousand shots later. This, from March 1910, appears to be No. 11,530 (though it's not too clear). So the fishermen were probably photographed in Norway at the end of 1909 or early in 1910 and this was the guy behind the camera:

He seems to have been considered an important photographer even in his own day and most of his work is in museums. If you own these plates, they need taking good care of.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen on the other thread that you own these, you lucky bugger! I think it's your duty to share them all with us. It's not every day that the forgotten work of a master photographer from that era is rediscovered.

How many slides were there in your box, and are they all by Wilse?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a find.... Shocked Shocked

I think you shout try to write this museum, and ask if it has public interest.

http://www.primusweb.no/search.do;jsessionid=cr48hzp9el?owner=&criteria=Wilse&pageNo=&noOnPage=48&searchObjectType=&onlyWithPictures=

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are bound to be of historical interest, you don't need to ask. The fishermen are interesting because that does not seem to be the sort of subject he covered much, but he is meant to have taken some of the earliest photos of the fishing industry in Lofoten, so that might be a connection.
Also, look out for pictures of individuals. As well as members of the Norwegian royal family he also shot famous personalities such as Edvard Munch, the artist, so any portraits would be worth researching.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s cisors! by golly, you might be eright! i went back and had a close look.

the photo of the fisherman has a candid quality ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
What a find.... Shocked Shocked

I think you shout try to write this museum, and ask if it has public interest.

http://www.primusweb.no/search.do;jsessionid=cr48hzp9el?owner=&criteria=Wilse&pageNo=&noOnPage=48&searchObjectType=&onlyWithPictures=

If you are interest Henrik , our local shop frequently sell them for a few bucks I can purchase for you. Price is vary this batch ~20-30 pcs was only 4 USD. Sometimes one pc price is 4 USD , depend from subjects.

Many negatives comes from stock agency archives and from old photographers we have no museum for photography history so many museum quality stuff just going into garbage or in better cases to local shop.

Last edited by Attila on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I would date these earlier, like as end of XIX early beginning of XX century.

yes. possible indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find, would love to see more of them.

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, if you like it I will scan more, seems almost all reproduction like fishermans picture.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on - that fisherman one was a photo of photos, not a photo by you of prints you made?

Oh, well. It is still interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to write the fishermen photo looks staged and bet the fellow looking straight at the camera is the photographer. After seeing PaulC's photo of him I think I am right!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything's possible. I don't think I could say it was or wasn't the same person. It's not normal for him to include himself in his photos, though, and there are a huge number of them. http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Anders_Beer_Wilse&from=File%3ANSB+type+49a+Dovregubben+Oppdal.jpg

What struck me as odd was having what look like nets and one person in a sou-wester, which suggests deep sea fishing and the boy carrying oars, which suggest coastal dinghies. The composition is certainly fortuitous if not staged.