Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is a good screw mount M42 camera to get?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: What is a good screw mount M42 camera to get? Reply with quote

I am thinking one that has no problems with obtaining batteries etc.I am open to suggestions..pointers.I have heard the MX or ME are nice but since joining this forum I have been overwhelmed by the "eye candy" in all it's various forms.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: What is a good screw mount M42 camera to get? Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
I am thinking one that has no problems with obtaining batteries etc.I am open to suggestions..pointers.I have heard the MX or ME are nice but since joining this forum I have been overwhelmed by the "eye candy" in all it's various forms.

There are many to choose from. I like the bright viewfinder on the Fujica ST801.

There are many good M42 bodies, I guess it comes down to what you need as a shooter.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most beautiful m42 camera i've seen was a Mamiya 1000DTL Smile
Also it uses a 1.5v battery, equivalent still available.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Pentax Spotmatics, but they are completely manual with no frills.

I bought a Chinon CE-3 a few months back and it is great to handle, bright viewfinder, has aperture priority and manual modes. This has become my favourite.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: What is a good screw mount M42 camera to get? Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:

Well a MTL3 can be bought for peanuts, but I sometimes use my screw lenses on my superior Canons with a M42/FD adaptor bought for £4.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After many Praktica, Zenit, Pentax Spotmatic I also vote for Fujica 801

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good view finder is very important as the eyes are short sighted going long Crying or Very sad very frustrating the only reason I bought a digital and stopped using my Yashica Minister D as I could not see the focus in the Yashicas View finder.
The Ricohs are ok, but it still takes me time to focus...thankfully flowers don't move that fast or sleeping cats!! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for a Fujica. ST801 is good, as is the ST70x series. ST60x feel a bit cheaper, but they also are (cheaper, that is). These are solid cameras with good feel and excellent viewfinders. There are other good ones, too, but in my opinion Prakticas and Zenits should be skipped by someone looking for a great viewfinder (otherwise they can be excellent value and charmingly industrial).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at Pentax, Chinon, Ricoh, Praktica. There are some good pre spotmatic Pentax bodies as well that don't require batteries but you need an external meter and/or "sunny 16." There are also the Zenit (Russian) bodies that use the m42.

The other option is to go with a modern body and an adapter. Pentax and other brands have genuine adapters that usually work better than generic adapters.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What examples of a modern body ? I never thought of that,and where do you obtain these adapters as I have not found many on eBay..Australia that is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern is relative. Laughing However, you could use a genuine Pentax adapter on nearly every K-mount Pentax Camera ever made. I use one on my K200d and K20d dSLR as well as k2 film bodies. The MX or KX would be a good film body for example.

I also should have suggested looking at Mamiya m42 bodies as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
A good view finder is very important as the eyes are short sighted going long Crying or Very sad

Mo, is diopter correction an important factor for you? I'm long-sighted and I can't focus on the v/f screen either. I bought a proper Pentax +1 correction lens for my cams, but to be honest it's more of a nuisance than a help. When it's mounted I can focus on the screen fine without my glasses, but then I still need the glasses to read the meter, shutter speed etc., so they end up on the top of my head when I look through the v/f. It's a PITA!

If you're shortsighted maybe you don't need glasses to see the camera like me, so maybe a correction lens might be useful. You're welcome to mine if you'd like to try it, but I think it might not suit you - it's +1 and you probably need a minus value. It fits the M-series Pentax cameras, and probably many other makes too. It's quite loose on the earlier Spotmatics and K2 and I have to wedge it. Let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer,but I will pass on it.Glasses do well at the moment,I think it's more the style of the view finder,the minister D had a yellow box where the center was and I could not see it clear enough,Where as the Ricoh has a beautiful circle with no color and crystal clear.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the AX-3 Have the good view finder as well as the ST801,there is one on ebay at the moment at a good price?
or a Zenit12S.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current workaday M42 camera is the Voigtländer Bessamatic TM Black, but if a clean Chinon CE-3 Memotron - at a sensible price - comes my way I'd get it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourites, Fujica ST801 and Pentax SP500. Like them both for the great viewfinder. While I have the ST801 body only, no Fujinon lenses it is in use with Takumars screwed on mostly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtländer Bessaflex TM. More expensive than most M42 bodies but the big bright viewfinder makes for easy focusing. Just shot 3 rolls of Ilford Delta 3200 at a wedding, easy to focus even in indoors dimmed light. Mechanically very good feel and control layout is classic and perfect for use.

Plenty available on eBay, one with Buy it Now USD 399

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
My current workaday M42 camera is the Voigtländer Bessamatic TM Black, but if a clean Chinon CE-3 Memotron - at a sensible price - comes my way I'd get it.

+1 for the Chinon.

I have been using mine this weekend alongside my Pentax Spotmatic. It makes the Spotmatic screen look very small & dark. Focussing is a beeze!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All most every camera have M42 adapter, in this case all of them available for M42 lenses except longer register once like Nikkors.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Does the AX-3 Have the good view finder as well as the ST801,there is one on ebay at the moment at a good price?
or a Zenit12S.
Thanks

The ST801 has the brightest viewfinder I have ever used on a SLR. The AX-3 is a much more advanced camera but be aware that it has a Fujinon bayonet X-mount, not an M42 mount but there is a M42 adaptor for this camera, I own one, but they are not very easy to find.

The Fujinon X mount lenses are not very compatable with most digital cameras. I havent found a adaptor for converting the X mounts to my Pentax mount yet, and I've been looking for over a year. Even if I were to find the adaptor I couldnt reach infinity with these lenses on my Pentax.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you spiralcity. A ST605n has popped up as well so if the A-X has a hard mount to use this 605n might do the trick??.
Although I have just received my Promura Automatic MC special 300/f5 M42 with a Pentax K mount adapter.....so that solves a few problems.The Promura is missing it's Pin on the screw mount will this cause any issues on a Screw mount body??
I mainly bought it for the adapter,lens is clear.Are all adapters flimsy looking it has Pentax Japan on it so I am assuming it is a Pentax made adapter.Fits nicely on the Ricoh although I had to unscrew the lens then pop the adapter out....No worries!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Thank you spiralcity. A ST605n has popped up as well so if the A-X has a hard mount to use this 605n might do the trick??.
Although I have just received my Promura Automatic MC special 300/f5 M42 with a Pentax K mount adapter.....so that solves a few problems.The Promura is missing it's Pin on the screw mount will this cause any issues on a Screw mount body??
I mainly bought it for the adapter,lens is clear.Are all adapters flimsy looking it has Pentax Japan on it so I am assuming it is a Pentax made adapter.Fits nicely on the Ricoh although I had to unscrew the lens then pop the adapter out....No worries!

The ST605N is a decent no frills camera. It has center weighted metering which the ST605 does not.

As far as your lens missing the pin, does this lens have the auto/maual switch? I believe in auto it will work regarless of the pin, but then again I dont know the history of the lens you purchased. It would have been wise to ask the seller the reason for the lens missing the pin.

It sounds like this lens may have been modified to strickly auto negating the need for a pin.

There are others here who could probally answer that question more clearly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Praktica MTL-5B, Pentax Spotmatic F and Fujica ST801. They're all great. But
1. be sure you can have source of battery for SPF
2. non-Fujica lens might be stuck on ST801
3. buy more M42 lenses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the lens has a auto/manual switch.It focused alright on the KR10.As long as it works on "A" camera I do not mind.So much to learn with lenses.I never thought to ask if it still had its pin or not so another lesson learned on what to ask!! Very happy with the adapter.

Hi djmike I have heard that about the spotmatics , I won't be looking at buying one even though they are beautiful looking cameras...maybe if I get more experienced. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Hi djmike I have heard that about the spotmatics , I won't be looking at buying one even though they are beautiful looking cameras...maybe if I get more experienced. Wink

There is a batch of SMC lenses so match with SPF. And it's easy to operate. And among M42 SLR, Spoty might be the most easy to acquire with a very reasonable price.