Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do you shoot Raw or JPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you usually shoot images
Mainly Raw
80%
 80%  [ 48 ]
Mainly JPG
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
A roughly equal mixture of both
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 60

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Do you shoot Raw or JPG Reply with quote

Due to a recent discussion....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the beginning when I had no clue about post-processing I did shoot always in jpg. After several year experience and with better knowledge I shoot exclusively in RAW.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In-camera post-processing have been greatly improved and I'm really satisfied with the JPG outputs it produces. And I can live with post-processing the JPG whenever required. I prefer that a lot over having to deal with RAWs: I already don't take enough photos, so using JPGs is time-saving Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% RAW.
Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 5D? RAW!
With the 40D? RAW!
With the 300D? JPG (RAW is too slow. Wink)
With the Sigma SD10? RAW, have to. Wink

With my film cams? RAW, kind of. Wink

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot jpeg because it's so much easier to see on a PC with the tools I have available. And the results have been good enough - the resulting jpegs from raw are larger than the camera produces, either less compression and/or more resolution there, but the convenience factor so far has ruled.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 % RAW

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% RAW
the jpgs of my earlier camera has decidedly worse DR and colors than it's RAWs, my new camera is known for good jpgs, but I did not like the colors it produced until I had switched to RAW too

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot 100% RAW plus high quality JPEG at the same time - all bases covered at one go! Come to think of it, maybe that's why I'm rapidly running out of storage space. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot raw+jpeg (e-p1). Most of the times the jpg is excellent and I have hard time reproducing the Oly colors with any raw converter other than Oly's own.

However, sometimes the wb was wrong or got some blown hilights then there's the raw to rescue.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw almost all the time though default raw conversion for Sony raw is generally bad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw, exclusively.

Raw file color information has 16 bits (only 12 are used), while jpeg has only 8 bits per color.

For me using camera jpeg is like using polaroid film -- there is no negative, only a 'print'. Raw is the digital 'film'. Unlike film, the raw negative can be 'developed' repeatedly using different methods and parameters. Raw white balance can be adjusted; jpeg color-cast removal is not the same as white balance adjustment.

Canon raw files for 5D are 4368x2912 pixels. There is a 2496x1664 jpeg preview image embedded in the raw file. When I want jpegs I use Irfanview to batch process the raw files; irfanview extracts the embedded jpegs, very fast, about 100 per minute on old Thinkpad T42.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is jpg?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both. I may not be using dslr since a long time, but for the kind of shots i do by now, it's ok. In outdoor light conditions for "quick" shots it's jpeg, for pictures intended to be printed it's raw. I also like the monochrome mode, especially in low light when wb sux.

That said i appreciate raw flexibility for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogolisk wrote:
I shoot raw+jpeg (e-p1). Most of the times the jpg is excellent and I have hard time reproducing the Oly colors with any raw converter other than Oly's own.

However, sometimes the wb was wrong or got some blown hilights then there's the raw to rescue.

Perhaps best idea, I did forget this possibility Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
What is jpg?

It's not for experts Razz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my P&S's shoot JPG's or TIF's or GIF's; no RAW is possible.
My dSLR shoots either. I started with JPG only. Now I'm RAW only.
All my film cams shoot raw. No Polaroids allowed. Raw Raw Raw!

. [Q: What do you get if you wipe your butt with photo paper, not toilet tissue?]
. [A: Polaroids.]

It has been my habit, since I started frame-grabbing analog signals, to PP everything. EVERYTHING! So developing RAW's is only a bit more effort. And well worth it! My K20D is much touchier about exposure than are my P&S's, especially with the wide range of lenses I'll mount on it. And no digital camera I've had handles WB correctly; I must remove the color cast in just about everything. RAW makes a BIG difference.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost always shoot raw apart from when I go over iso 400 with my Panasonic G1 and then I find the only way to get an acceptable level of noise is to let the camera apply noise reduction to jpegs.

Apart from that I only tend to use jpeg for quick test shots or I find myself running out of memory card space.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAW.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly Jpeg,but learning about Raw Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot film, and generally I am dressed when I do so ... Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing one star Laughing

Shoot? Shocked How come our common everyday conversation is laced with violent military terminology. Snap? Capture? Take? Shocked Shocked Shocked Make. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Orio

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

exclusively RAW - once you compare resolution/detail/colours, there is no going back

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean I am doomed?? Sad Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time i shoot bothy RAW+jpg
When i need speed, i shoot only RAW

RAW is the only way to get the most of an L lenses