Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do you shoot Raw or JPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you usually shoot images
Mainly Raw
80%
 80%  [ 48 ]
Mainly JPG
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
A roughly equal mixture of both
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 60

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAW always

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangehexagon wrote:
Orio wrote:
What is jpg?

It's not for experts Razz

It is jpEg for Experts. Got it? Smile

Actually I shoot jpg on vacations and some other outdoor activities.

EDIT: This has nothing to do with anything, but I post it anyways because it is Saturday and this is "the Cafe".
Quote:
A typical JPEG meeting starts at 9:00 a.m. on the Monday, with a plenary meeting. This allows new members to introduce themselves, and sets the meeting schedules for the week. We then split to a number of ad-hoc groups, typically dealing with individual standards (at present, parts of the JPEG 2000 standard). About Wednesday, we get back together for another Plenary, where we typically take joint submissions and discuss the weeks progress and problems. More ad-hoc work takes place, before a final Plenary which aims to finish early afternoon on the Friday in time for flights home for those who are trying to get away.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:
RAW always

Me too. When I bought my first digicam the price and capacity of memory cards was a critical factor on the size of files and the number of images they could hold. Jpg compression was a useful way of storing more images. But now cards are relatively a lot cheaper and have huge capacity, that limitation has disappeared. There's no real need to compress files in the camera, unless you're running out of space or you don't want to spend time converting later. I prefer to stay in control and set the compression rate for each pic as I want.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both, I like to update my website as the pics happen which means jpgs are needed for jalbum but there are times things like contrast and exposure aren't quite right when the pic in its own right is pretty decent and in need of minor tweaks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot almost exclusively raw. The processing is slow with my cheezy EOS XS (1000D), so the frame rate is really low -- like 1.5 fps. But the advantages to shooting raw are extreme when it comes to post processing. About the only time I don't shot raw is when I set my camera to one of the custom function settings (macro, sport, distance, etc.), which I do rarely, in which case only jpg is available.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed...and film Laughing Allways Raw when there is some strange light that I'm shure the XTi won't manage to catch the right WB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
orangehexagon wrote:
Orio wrote:
What is jpg?

It's not for experts Razz

It is jpEg for Experts. Got it? Smile

Ah, wondered if someone would get it. Forgot to mention, I shoot RAW entirely where possible. There's a lot more leeway in editing and my EOS 1000D often got the WB wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% raw. I am not sure I have ever taken a jpg-image with this camera I've had for maybe 18 months or so... I just don't see a point of voluntarily compromising the images so many ways. Of course the folks who are in a hurry go to McDonalds and shoot McJpgs...Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decomposition with McJPEGs is at a much slower rate than with real RAW meat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to do a debate for pro and cons of both methods, but maybe some of you have done good images in jpeg format ( the evil one !! ) and are happy with.

I've done some and i prefer not to spend my time developing an image for hours cause i rather concentrate on the shooting scene, which is 95 per cent of the final result.

All i do when taking raw format is adapt white balance if needed, and convert to b&w if i want to, that's all : ) besides i am not a Lightroom expert.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAW of course. There are inherent flaws in dSLR sensor tech that can only be fixed/compensated for with proper NR and sharpening in post production. RAW is essential to this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, how many people here know the compression factor which their cameras use when making JPGs?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAW meat. 100%.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I cast my vote early on and it's interesting to see that around 4/5 use Raw, which is around the result I expected.

Since the very early days I have been using Raw due to accidentally shooting a small bird close up and not realising I'd left the camera in B&W.
Laughing

I've never gone back to JPG after seeing the benefits.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I used JPGs when i bought my first DSLR, 4 years ago. After two months (the time required to read the whole manual and a lot of forum threads here and there), i started using raw images and, since then, never went back to JPGs ...

I'm coming from film-based photography and i like to develop my pics myself ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Well, I cast my vote early on and it's interesting to see that around 4/5 use Raw, which is around the result I expected.

You didn't have raw+jpeg option. I think I remember Kirk Tuck said that when he works (for customers) he shoots raw. But when he just goes out and take pictures for himself, he just uses an e-p2 and shoots jpeg.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I did after buying my camera was to Read the Fine Manual (RTFM). And when I saw that it would record in raw mode, even though I was a neophyte to digital, I knew that raw would be the way to go.

But it wasn't until I decided to brighten up an underexposed image in Canon's DPP software that I really began to appreciate the flexibility of raw. The image was almost two stops under exposed. No problem. I just dialed up the brightness, and the photo looked absolutely normal. None of the artifacts of unintended consequences that occur when trying to do this with any other file format.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Canon you do not have this choice really. It's Raw by default.

Later on i switched to Olympus pen - and there were the most beautiful Jpeg (after some tweaking of compression and noise settings) i forgot the Raw files for a while and was just enjoying it without loosing 1-2 hours after every session with the raw converter at home.

The Sony Nex is back to Raw again as the exposure and colours are not even close to the real ones i was used to in Oly.

so .. RAW again
Sad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
For Canon you do not have this choice really. It's Raw by default.

Which Canon? My XS/1000D defaults to JPG, and not even max resolution, as I recall. I had to bump the res up to max and change it to raw. Makes sense with that camera being an entry-level DSLR and all.

So, the above statement is not universally true. Some Canons do, in fact, default to jpg.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I note that you have a Sony NEX. I am very interested in this camera. Which one do you have? Early impressions? Have you posted any shots/thoughts/impressions about the camera here yet? I note that there are already dealers on eBay selling adapters for mf lenses for the NEX.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael
I have put everything regarding NEX here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/nex-3-first-impressions-t33415.html

BR,
Stefan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogolisk wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

You didn't have raw+jpeg option. I think I remember Kirk Tuck said that when he works (for customers) he shoots raw. But when he just goes out and take pictures for himself, he just uses an e-p2 and shoots jpeg.

3rd option! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% RAW ! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did move here , because at Cafe it was hidden from public.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumix LZ2: Jpeg
Canon S3 IS: Jpeg (0.1% Raw, with hacking)
Rebel XT: Jpeg (Same 0.1% Raw)
Sigma SD14 Raw (haven't shot a single jpeg)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since many of you are using RAW, could you recommend a god RAW processing software ? is it manufacturer dependent ? I own a Nikon and a Sony Smile