Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Today's catch on the Doesburg new year fair
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Today's catch on the Doesburg new year fair Reply with quote

This is a very small fair... Only a few tables. But it was cosy and held in the oldest Beer hall in The Netherlands: De Waag, built in 1478. Nice to see Maarten Kleywegt (mkleywegt on this forum) at his table. I swapped my Bolex H16 film camera with several C-mount lenses with him for a very nice Komura 85mm f/1.4 in M42 mount. Apparently he's happy with this transaction and so am I Wink

Also, I bought a mint Voigtlander Septon 50mm f/2 lens (from the Ultramatic) with DKL mount. Luckily I have a DKL to M42 adapter so I can use it fully from f/2 onwards and from 0,9m to infinity. I did not expect it, but the Septon is super sharp wide open (see further down).

Last, but not least, I found several old lens brochures from the 50's and 60's from Carl Zeiss Jena (several of them describing the Star Wars lenses), Schacht and even a 1966 Exakta price list in DM (Deutsche Marken).

So... I have a lot of lenses to try out, not forgetting the 85mm f/1.5 Enna Ennalyt I also got from a nice forum member Wink

The 85mm f/1.4 has issues with PF wide open, but still a nice result:

The Septon generates extremely sharp and detailed pictures wide open!

Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, what beauties Peter! Glad you also now member of that elusive Ennalyt 85mm club Wink Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCELENT!!!!!

The septon is a real great lens. Unique design of seven elements (1-1-2/2-1) similar to the 2,8/80 hasselblad's planar.

Your pics show the great IQ of the lens. The last intent of voigtlander-zeiss to maintain the bessamatic/ultramatic line into the bussines. Neutral colors and contrast. Hight resolution power. I prefer this lens to the skopar 2,8/50.

It's a real jewel, enjoy!!

Congratulations. Rino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
EXCELENT!!!!!

The septon is a real great lens. Unique design of seven elements (1-1-2/2-1) similar to the 2,8/80 hasselblad's planar.

Your pics show the great IQ of the lens. The last intent of voigtlander-zeiss to maintain the bessamatic/ultramatic line into the bussines. Neutral colors and contrast. Hight resolution power. I prefer this lens to the skopar 2,8/50.

It's a real jewel, enjoy!!

Congratulations. Rino

Thanks Rino!

Actually it really feels like a jewel. It feels very heavy for its size and the focusing is extremely smooth (on the same level as my Takumars - and I don't say that often about German lenses; at least the ones I tried).

What you say makes sense... I did buy it relatively uninformed though. I was looking for a good DKL lens and reminded to have read something about the Septon, so I bought it. The lens renders very sharp and with lots of detail. A hidden gem?:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? That was today? How often are these held and is there a website for it? Tempted to go too!

Looks like an amazing catch, that Komura looks amazing! How much would you say this worth if you would convert the trade to cash?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
........ A hidden gem?:

I think that it was an unknown gem. Because some voigtlander lenses were better than the SRL voigtlander cams. The SRL leaf shutter cams couldn't compete with the more modern design cams from Pentax, Nikon, etc.
Zeiss decided in @ 1969/70 stopped the bessamatic/ultramatic production and put his money in the contarex line like the first quality and over the icarex in the consumer segment. What happen to the old voigtlanders lenses that not went to icarex line?
To the newer photographers from the 70's, all that lenses were unknown. Septon 2/50, skopagon 2/40, skopar 2,8/50, dynarex 3,4/90, etc. are first class lenses that are sleeping in the collector's boxes. Too bad.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, what a haul. happy new year to you! the komura and voigtlander sound great--love to see more shots.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! the Komura look really good
you got plenty of great lenses, now it is time to get a real dslr Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys and Rino again for your valuable insights.

JWH wrote:
What? That was today? How often are these held and is there a website for it? Tempted to go too!

Well, this is the New Year fair, which is held every year in January in Doesburg. A good starting point would be the Beurskaleder (Fair Calendar) on www.fotografica.nl.

Quote:

Looks like an amazing catch, that Komura looks amazing! How much would you say this worth if you would convert the trade to cash?

Putting a value on it would normally be relatively hard, but it was on Maarten Kleywegt's list for 650 euros. See http://www.mkoptics.net/lists.htm for more of his items.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
congrats! the Komura look really good
you got plenty of great lenses, now it is time to get a real dslr Wink

Indeed, a FF Pentax Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right, I had stumbled upon that website before, even checked it recently! But I guess I missed this one. It's not very far from where I live ( Apeldoorn ). Oh well, better luck next time Smile. If you can recommend me any fairs that will have a decent amount of exhibitors, that would be great Very Happy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWH wrote:
Oh right, I had stumbled upon that website before, even checked it recently! But I guess I missed this one. It's not very far from where I live ( Apeldoorn ). Oh well, better luck next time Smile. If you can recommend me any fairs that will have a decent amount of exhibitors, that would be great Very Happy.

Damn, I could have picked you up because I went from Zwolle to Apeldoorn to go to Doesburg.

Of course, the fair in Houten, this March (see www.fotografica.nl), is still the largest indoor photographica fair worldwide.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Septon looks great, amazingly sharp for wide open Shocked

Peter I guess you also bought the *istDs shown.
if so I am very curious how you will find it for using MF lenses and it's IQ compared to your later models

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score with the Septon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
the Septon looks great, amazingly sharp for wide open Shocked

Peter I guess you also bought the *istDs shown.
if so I am very curious how you will find it for using MF lenses and it's IQ compared to your later models

No, I already had it; I just used it in the photo to show the Septon on a body Wink

Andreas, I still think it holds itself up very well. I use it regularly, for instance the Ennalyt 85/1.5 shots were made with the DS: http://forum.mflenses.com/spotmatics-little-bag-o-lenses-t18832,start,105.html#208674

The Sony 6MP sensor is great, no doubts here. But the camera is very slow compared to the K-7 (never used the K-x)

@Dave: I remember your shots with the DKL lenses... Do you also have the Septon?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What wonderful additions. Thanks for the introduction to some sleepers (but it's going to cost me money)

patrickh