Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My first year of photography with a DSLR: 10 important shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: My first year of photography with a DSLR: 10 important shots Reply with quote

It's hard to believe but it's only a year since my first ever digital SLR arrived at my door - a Sony a200. I'd done a LOT of research and settled on it due to the price/performance ratio and huge array of cheap Minotla AF lenses available. But shorlty after I received the camera, something weird happened - I found M42 lenses! A dedicated Sony / Minolta forum pointed me in the right direction and then MFLenses.com took over Laughing

The 10 photos below are not my best 10 photos of the year, but the 10 which mean the most to me for one reason or another on a photography level. I obviously haven't included family / friend shots as I haven't asked permission, but these mean something to me photography wise Smile

Photo #1 - Elephants at Dublin Zoo

This was my favourite photo from my first proper manual focus shoot, at Dublin Zoo. I had just one lens with me - a Pentacon 135/2.8 electric in M42 mount. It was absolutely freezing and the sun was only out for about 30 mins of the entire day!

Photo #2 - Robin in the February snow

I took this one the day before my birthday, while the UK was suffering some of its heaviest snow for some time. The venue was Sir Harold Hiliar Gardens and it snowed almost the entire time! The lens used was a Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135/3.5 which was only delivered that morning.

Photo #3 - View point at Weymouth

While not a particular amazing photo, this one was taken with the Tamron Adaptall 2 80-210/3.8-4 103A lens which I immediately fell in love with! It's light, sharp, fast and has good bokeh. All this for very little outlay!

Photo #4 - Daffodils with Pentacon preset

This was in the first batch of shots taken with my Pentacon 135/2.8 preset. I'd heard all about the 12 bladed bokeh, but it was fantastic to witness it first hand. Now one of my favourite lenses.

Photo #5 - Macro fly!

This was taken at Furzey Gardens and marked one of the first decent close focus shots I'd taken with the Flektogon. The lens is absolutely superb for closeups, and has rocketed in price recently. Luckily I got this one pretty cheap!

Photo #6 - Sunflowers in Bagnizeau

I had a fantastic holiday in France with my girlfriend in July. The location of these sunflowers was the village we stayed in - Bagnizeau. I hadn't tried landscapes before, so this was a change of direction. The Vivitar 28/2.8 is a fantastic lens.

Photo #7 - Autumn colours with the Distagon

Another milestone for me here, the first time I'd used a Contax Carl Zeiss lens. This was taken with the Distagon T* 28/2.8 and I was blown away by the edge to edge sharpness of the lens and it's incredible 3D ability.

Photo #8 - Dlugokecki gig

This was the first time I'd tried to shoot a gig indoors and the first time I'd attempted to use a really fast lens in the dark with manual focusing! I used the Sony a200 as it creates some lovely grain at ISO1600. The lens is of a lesser known brand name, but likely of the famous Tomioka 55/1.4 design.

Photo #9 - Night scene in Southampton

For me this was the moment I felt I finally had control of night traffic shots in a city. The lens used is a superb allrounder in the Tamron SP 28-80/3.5-4.2 and I used my Grandad's old Velbon tripod which did the job just fine. Although it's quite heavy!

Photo #10 - Muppets at York Christmas market

My final favourite photo from my first year of DSLR photography is this one, taken at the St Nicholas Christmas Market in York. I had no idea how good the Contax Carl Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 was until this moment, and from then on I struggled to take it off the camera!

This forum and its many VERY talented members has been a real inspiration to me over the last year. Previous to the Sony, I had been playing with a Canon Powershot a570is, but nothing more serious, so this was a real challenge to learn so much. I hope to take things onto the next level next year, where I'm looking to take many, many more landscape shots and certainly more street shots and portraits, and I look forward to sharing them with you Smile

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek
Thank you for taking us on the excursion down memory lane. That is a very fine progression of lenses and technique, with the latter keeping up with the improvements to the former. The Planar and a Distagon are the first lenses to make me feel that I could rival my best nikkors - and I find it hard to take either off the camera too.

patrickh

You get around too Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek,

this is an extraordinary collection of pictures, and if I had to choose one , I would choose the the sun-flowers, because I love these plants, and not because they are better than the other pictures. I love them all.

Thomas

P.S. I had another look: the bird is simply marvellous. Maybe I even prefer it to the the sun-flowers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, superb photos!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb portfolio after only 1 year
great you put them in the oversized gallery
difficult to select a fav as it's already a fine selection

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked wow!

I can not believe that how nicely you've demonstrated and described all your pictures!!

Your style is very appealing! Great job!!

tf

Last edited by trifox on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shrek,

You've done a magnificent job during your first year of DSLR photography. I've taken this thread of yours to heart, since my first year of DSLR photography's anniversary date is the day after Christmas this year. Honestly, I don't know that I'd be able to assemble anything approaching your fantastic collection of shots taken with mf lenses, though. I guess I've whimped out somewhat in that respect, spending most of my time with my DSLR and manual lenses testing them for sharpness instead of actually getting involved with photography with them. Yes, I've been active with the AF lenses, but much more so than the mf ones. But I still have a few weeks left! Time to get busy . . . well, it'll have to wait until my DSLR is returned from warranty service, that is.

Last edited by cooltouch on Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning pictures! Thank you for sharing them!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was GREAT, getting to see the progression as you acquired more lenses. The images are superb...and super!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ican just repeat .... IMPRESSIVE !!!!!!

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fine way to sum up a year! Like one of those 'round robin' letters but with a twist.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

realy cool pictures!! I LOVE THESE SUNFLOWERS!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#6 is great Shocked I'd like to know the PP? If there is not PP then it's extraordinary.

All pics are very good as i said i like 6 and the bird shot very much

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fantastic set! Congratulations!

My favs?

No. 8 for atmosphere
No. 6 for the incredible rendition of the sunflowers and
No. 2 for everything (esp. the little snowflakes!)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photos! My first year with a DSLR was probably far less spectacular…

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, an excellent set for a newbie!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work! I love the robin in the snow. I haven't seen an English winter for about 30 years and it makes me quite nostalgic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These photos are very impressive. I am only 3 months into my first DSLR having previously too used Canon Powershots (A410, A530, A450) and your shots are inspiring. Did you ever use CHDK on your A570?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey, thanks for all the lovely comments! Embarassed The PP on the sunflowers was to increase the saturation, but it was very easy to do and livened up the image completely. Most others just had a bit of exposure adjustment and some sharpening.

As for CHDK, I've just looked it up...RAW on my A570is? I'm downloading now, thanks!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful photos you have there even more impressive as this is your first year going digital.