Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer-Optik TRIOPLAN 2.8/100 - The Crazy Diamond part 2...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Meyer-Optik TRIOPLAN 2.8/100 - The Crazy Diamond part 2... Reply with quote

Again...
7 more shots. Hope you don't get bored.

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

6-

7-

Hope you liked them.
Sometimes, this bokeh is too "present".
What I prefer is to discover "soft painting effects" when revealed on the screen.
Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love this lens, but I would use it wide open only in controlled conditions. The bokeh can get really wild with highlights.

I noticed that few Trioplan owners use the Trioplan stopped down. If they did, they would find that at f/8 it's a killer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I really love this lens, but I would use it wide open only in controlled conditions. The bokeh can get really wild with highlights.

I noticed that few Trioplan owners use the Trioplan stopped down. If they did, they would find that at f/8 it's a killer.

Yes, that's right.
Firsts trials with this "new toy" and after reading about it on this forum, I wanted to see how it renders wide open.

I'll try it more seriously at F8.

Thanks Orio. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know boke is personal, but I find those OOF highlights extremely disturbing. I too would like to see how this lens performs at f8 - its reputation seems founded on those wold highlights.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trioplan at f:8

at 5.6

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this lens mainly for it's crazy bokeh but I was indeed surprised how well it performed the first time I stopped it down. Quite a surprise since I actually stopped it down by mistake. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside
That's much more like it

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The passion for bokeh-based pictures - in my opinion, exaggerated, because now often you see pictures that about only have bokeh in them - is relatively recent.
I never heard or read any master of photography (such as Adams, Brassai, Cartier-Bresson, Atget, Weston, and others) talk or write about how important is the bokeh in this or that of their pictures. Rolling Eyes
Bokeh of course is an important feature in a lens because it shapes the aesthetical appearance of the image. but it should not become more important than the subject of the photograph, or even the subject itself.
Of course this does not regard the lens samples that we post in this forum, because here we discuss the behaviour of the lenses and therefore such tests are normal, I make them too.
It is a more general statement.

In my opinion, the error of many bokeh-obsessed photographers is to consider as valuable bokeh only what you obtain wide open.
While bokeh exists at all apertures (well, perhaps not so much at f/64) and often in a lens the wide open bokeh is not so remarkable while the stopped down bokeh is beautiful.

The fact is that in most cases, lenses are made to provide the optical performance at or around two stops more closed than the widest aperture.
The performance wide open or fully stopped down is, in most cases, the fruit of a compromise to provide an acceptable performance while compensating for the aberrations and the other optical problems that unavoidably extreme apertures present.

Meyer Goerlitz was surely no exception and I am sure that they were not particularly happy with what happened with their Trioplan wide open (don't forget that triplets were budget lenses), but assumed that people would use their Trioplan, for what is possible, at it's optimal aperture of f/5.6 to f/8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trioplan have something special...
a bit glow and great colors and the special bokeh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Nice shots Dave... thanks Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Trioplan at f:8

at 5.6

Dave, I bought my trioplan for the wide open 'artsy' stuff that happens with it sometimes... And I mostly have shot it wide open.
But your shots make me realize I am missing something when I limit it to just wide open. Very nice.

It was never my intention when I got the trioplan to use it for snapshots of the kids, but I have taken a few and I actually like the way it performs. I did shoot a quick snap of my little one at F8 or F11 one day with a bounce flash, and was pleasantly surprised at how it did.

And wide open has a 'look' that works for me too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised at the way these turned out. I'd bought the Trioplan for its glow wide open and a possible portrait lens, after seeing Maxim's use of it.
It just happened to be the lens of the day when I took these pics and the need of the scene dictated the aperture, so I just used it. Yet another time when the Canon 10D surprises at how good it can be with 6mp, if there's a decently sharp lens in front of it.
The pics are out-of-camera jpgs and aren't sharpened any more than I would have done for normal display - a touch in PP and another touch after reduction.
Not bad for a lens that looked like it had been stored at the bottom of a drainage ditch. The optics are good, but the body finish is very flaked and used looking and no hood came with it. I use the hood from the MOG 135/2.8.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn good rendition i all pix posted. A must have i think Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pictures look like they come from my Paragon 135mm. The colors bleed into one another, like soft focus only worse.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Trioplan Reply with quote

Just make 2 testshots with the Trioplan/2.8 (red V) M42 for a friend of mine. On the pictures you can see the two faces of this great lens.

The first shot is taken with 2.8 and the second one at 4.0

Have a nice day