Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The effect of a lens shade on an S-K Radionar 4.5/105
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: The effect of a lens shade on an S-K Radionar 4.5/105 Reply with quote

Yesterday I was taking photos with the Radionar on 5D and happened to take a photo of the same target both with and without a lens shade. The difference between these two shots was quite dramatic so today I decided to take a series of parallel test shots with and without the lens shade. The day was overcast, and I had to use rather silly exposure times for a 105mm hand-held lens, 1/60 s - 1/20 s, so all the shots aren't very sharp - especially as the front-cell of the lens is set to soft focus. I didn't change any settings between the shots of a pair, but the focus may have drifted a little bit when I put the shade on the lens. There may also be some slight vignetting on some of the shots taken with the lens shade, which was sometimes a little bit skewed. As you can see from the attached example pairs, the effect is quite appreciable.

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this proves that the most dramatic improvement in lens building was the multicoating, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very instructive indeed, thank you for posting the results!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lens coated or not these photos illustrate what lens hood does, why use a lens hood even on coated lens to reduce flare. More contrast; more accurate color rendition.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about three things: coating, coating and coating. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a relatively recent convert to hoods, I now fit them on everthing I can, especially older folders.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoods are great. I hardly ever shoot without one.
I have just bought some nice old metal hoods at the Solms Camera Fair.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Hoods are great. I hardly ever shoot without one.

Same here, I have a hood for every lens I have except for my Sigma 14mm f3.5, which has a sort of built in petal hood.
Recently I bought a Tamron SP 17mm f3.5 which did'nt come with a hood and unlike my Tokina RMC version it does'nt even have a front filter thread, so I cant fit it with the 67mm rubber hood or filters that I use on my Tokina . I am not used to using naked lenses so I'm desperate to find a hood to fit it, even if I have to make one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Recently I bought a Tamron SP 17mm f3.5 which did'nt come with a hood and unlike my Tokina RMC version it does'nt even have a front filter thread, so I cant fit it with the 67mm rubber hood or filters that I use on my Tokina . I am not used to using naked lenses so I'm desperate to find a hood to fit it, even if I have to make one.

Sure you saw http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/, but if not. . .

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Well, this proves that the most dramatic improvement in lens building was the multicoating, I guess.

Very important of course. But in a lot of older magazines the revolutionary change was the single coated over the not coating at all. The difference between the single coated and the not coating lens is more dramatical than the difference between the multicoated and the single coated. Of course the limit of my affirmation are the lens from one to six or seven elements. In wide angle and zooms, the MC is by far the best improvement.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Shocked

Thank you very much Rino !
I didn't know this site.

oh, I forgot to tell you to withdraw the comma you typed after the / in the site adress. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Vilva
Thanks for this test.
I do a lot of shoots now with my more and more beloved triplet lens Trioplan 2,9/50 and the lack of CAs and the sharpness at f16 is great. Beautiful color rendition.
... and as I see now, I need a hood.

@estudleon:
Thanks Rino for the Hood-site.
It is a real Robin Hood site (hoods for the poor Very Happy )
In the name of every lens I own, I say thank you for this real christmas gift.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real benefit of the lens hood is to prevent non-image-forming light to reach the lens. Ideally the lens hood should also trim the image produced by the lens to the same size as the format area.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, without a hood light enters the lens - and will be reflected and scattered even on the black surfaces of the lens barrel! This is ~ the same for both uncoated, single coated and multi coated lenses. With no coating (or single coating), more additional light is reflected on the lens surfaces than with MC.

I have a Porst 135 / 1.8 MC - with a huge scratch on the front lens. Without a hood that lens is crap, with large round hood (from a Zeiss 180/2.8 for Pentacon Six adaptet) the lens ist usable, with low image contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
The real benefit of the lens hood is to prevent non-image-forming light to reach the lens.

Yes!!! Thank you!

Seele wrote:
Ideally the lens hood should also trim the image produced by the lens to the same size as the format area.

trimming of the image circle drawn by the lens onto the film or sensor is done by a mask over the rear of the lens.

attempting to trim using a hood reduces lens aperture. masking the front of the lens also shapes bokeh; for heart-shaped bokeh use mask with a heart shaped opening.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experienced similar effects while using the Takumar 135mm f/2.5 ...and I got a similar low-contrast effect even with my "new" Pentax-M 28mm f/3.5.

Both have a lens hood: the 135mm has it's built-in hood but has no SMC; the 28mm has SMC and I use it with a metal lens hood.
I fear asking myself why I have experienced these effects with the 28mm... is the SMC gone??? Neutral ...or, wait, could it be cause by the UV filter in front of the lens?

Is there some place in Europe (or even better, in Italy) where I can buy screw-in metal lens hoods? At the moment I bought mine in the USA from a really nice vendor... but I always fear some fee on the package.

Bye
Jenner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to estudleon

i tried www.lenshoods.com, your url is not working

tomas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
to estudleon

i tried www.lenshoods.com, your url is not working

tomas

It is www.lenshoods.com not www.lenshoods.com,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great comparison! I only have a few lenses with hoods, but then again I only have few lenses. I have found differences, even using a baseball cap or my hand to shade the lens. It looks like I could do better using a fitted lens shade, to completely encircle the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
It's all about three things: coating, coating and coating. Wink

And besides the coat, hood, hood and hood. Look at any picture of a film and will always be a black screen shading the lens.
This test can be with any lens and will be greater or lesser effects but there will always be a difference.
It is essential, I promise to seek a review of Takumar, their coatings. It showed that percentage more light, let in a Takumar SMC in respect of Super Takumar, I think a 3% + and the hood keeps a mirror effect on the surface.
Greetings.

I hope it is understood, I'm not good with English. Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

studleon says http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/

Rino.[/quote]

Gracias, la pagina ya esta en mis favoritos.

Thanks, the web is already in my favorites
Greetings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a big fan of hoods also, but I don't have them for all my lenses. So, like Laurence, I use my hand in those cases. I have found that I can usually do a good job of controlling ghosting and especially optical reflections (you know, the off-axis iris- or lens-shaped images you get when a strong light source intrudes?) just by moving my left hand about until I've found the best spot to eliminate it. And if my hand is too narrow (usually isn't), holding something bigger up there -- maybe a folded newspaper or a piece of cardboard or whatever -- will usually do the job.

Not as cool looking as a hood and not as convenient, but it works well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other reason for hoods is protection, most especially for SLR lenses.

All sorts of nasty objects can be kept away from the glass with a good sturdy hood, particularly my fingers. It also helps when a lens/camera is dropped.

Finding good hoods for the old folders can be a problem. I have a couple of nice ones, both spring type and press-on, but I have been collecting these things from lots for a while.

Unfortunately spring and press-on hoods are not very secure, nor can a hood be kept on a folded-up camera.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the reversible bayonet mount Topcon hoods though: here is the 10cm/2.8 with hood in both positions: