Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New IR Pano
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: New IR Pano Reply with quote

Another IR pano view of Doha, Qatar. There was almost invisible cloud the day that this was shot which the IR showed up to advantage.

And because you care about these things, this was shot with a Tessar 80/2.8 Pentacon lens, which is good for IR, no hot-spot, and a Tiffen 72nm filter on a Canon 5D. It is stitched from half-a-dozen shots. It would have been wider but a bloody copper had to interfere and the long delay before taking the next shot made the patterns in the sea fail to match up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that landscape exudes money from every corner Very Happy

The image does not even look IR to me, perhaps because of absence of the trees. It looks very good, interesting how you could bring that cloud to visibility.

Next time would be cool if you could take also a picture non-IR so that we IR-newbies can see the differences Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll revise this post: the top file is a colour shot converted to B&W the bottom one is IR cropped out of the pano. It's the same general area but from a rather different angle, unfortunately.

Main differences are that IR tends to be higher contrast, with concrete coming out whiter and glass blacker, also windows come out darker. The clouds would barely have shown up in visible light. The trees all along the water's edge are light in one and dark in the other and the overall look of the buildings is starker and slightly unworldly in IR.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, that is a fantastic pano! Shocked As Orio says, it exudes money and
reminds me of the opulence of Dubai and other places I "visited" in the
Gulf, never made it to Qatar, tho.

Did you use a tripod? Leveling would be a hassle otherwise, I'd imagine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results Paul! Yep, they have to speed up as long as there is some oil left...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome pano

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Yes, it was on a tripod. Qatar's main asset is gas rather than oil (it does a million barrels a day of that, though). The gas is expected to last over 100 years as it is around 9% of total known global reserves, supporting a population of about 250,000 people.

A bigger threat than the oil running out may be nobody wanting it any more, if an article in this month's Scientific American is right. It argues that there is more than enough easily available wind, water and solar power to completely meet global energy needs without causing pollution - and we could switch over within 20 years if the will was there.

A few generations from now people may think it wierd that development was ever tied to something as messy as digging up coal or pumping oil out of the ground. Wouldn't that be nice?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic panorama, Paul !
The horizon is really straight as well... again I get the encouragement to try IR ...

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The straight horizon is easy in Photoshop. I use the measure tool to trace a vertical line from the building right in the middle of the composition (again, easy, just open the file and go to pixel view and your are at the centre) and then use the rotate canvas/arbitrary command which has the correction from the measure tool already loaded, to make that vertical line exactly vertical.

It's not so easy without buildings.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The straight horizon is easy in Photoshop. I use the measure tool to trace a vertical line from the building right in the middle of the composition (again, easy, just open the file and go to pixel view and your are at the centre) and then use the rotate canvas/arbitrary command which has the correction from the measure tool already loaded, to make that vertical line exactly vertical.

It's not so easy without buildings.

Yes, that's what I do usually too.
What I actually ment was that often with long panoramas one gets a kind of "bow-curve" in the horizon due to lens distortions.
But as I just saw you used a 80mm lens. So there isn't much distortion and the sticher obviously handled the files perfectly.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did take care to ensure the camera was as level as possible, too, which probably helps.