Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Entering the 645 arena
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Entering the 645 arena Reply with quote

On Tuesday I should receive a similar camera:

I bought it with a bank financement.

It comes with the kit lens Planar 2/80, but thanks to an Ukrainian adapter that I bought, I will be able to use with it all my Pentacon 6 lenses (of course in manual stopped down mode).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one. Should be some good results from that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't wait. Pentacon 6 troubles with film carrying almost took me away from medium format.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio,
You will absolutely love the results. I have a Mamiya 645 and a Hassleblad adapter and am going to purchase a contax and Pentacon adapter.

You may never go back to 35 except for nostalgia.

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! I think after first slide your put on sale all other stuff what you have it Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. It's an interesting choice. What made you put this ahead of the much cheaper Pentax 645 or 645N?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a big and brave step, Orio.
Finally, a cam to use the AGFA ISO 25 film roll. Wink

I wonder if this can be considered a sensible investment.
Well, it of course can, if you see it as an investment in your hobby and your personal development. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Congratulations. It's an interesting choice. What made you put this ahead of the much cheaper Pentax 645 or 645N?

The possibility to use the Contax lenses.
The camera per se is not that important, although the Contax has some details like the vacuum film loader that can make a difference using 120 film.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

I wonder if this can be considered a sensible investment.
Well, it of course can, if you see it as an investment in your hobby and your personal development. Smile

Well, I never claimed to be a sensible person Wink Laughing
But I still hope to get some of my money back in case I should sell. Even in a long time from now, as this camera is probably bound to survive me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Orio !

A cam I´m dreaming of a long time. Can´t wait to see your first shots

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Orio"]
PaulC wrote:

The camera per se is not that important, although the Contax has some details like the vacuum film loader that can make a difference using 120 film.

The sad fact is that the vacuum plate only made a significant difference for 220 film, as the base paper blocks it from having any effect on the actual film on a 120 spool. And 220 is pretty close to extinct, Tri-X and Velvia 50 seem to be the only still available with reasonably distant expiration date (and hence presumably still made within the past two or three years).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
Orio wrote:

The sad fact is that the vacuum plate only made a significant difference for 220 film, as the base paper blocks it from having any effect on the actual film on a 120 spool. And 220 is pretty close to extinct, Tri-X and Velvia 50 seem to be the only still available with reasonably distant expiration date (and hence presumably still made within the past two or three years).

Thanks for the info. That saves me from trying to buy one.
I was actually curious about the 220 format since it's reported to be flatter than the 120 even without the vacuum.
But, I guess 220 will not come back, like many other film-related things...

Here's a nice review of the C 645, including user comments, which are useful to check how reliable the review is:
http://photo.net/equipment/contax/645

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
PaulC wrote:

So you start the whole tour again wiht 645 lenses. How much money did you get from the bank? Did you have a gun? Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Orio wrote:
PaulC wrote:

So you start the whole tour again wiht 645 lenses. How much money did you get from the bank? Did you have a gun? Shocked

Never heard of monhtly instalments paying?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a question about changing film backs, does anybody know if I can change the backs while the film is still not ended, or would this expose the film to light?
I thought that it would be cool to have two backs, one loaded with slide the other with B&W, and alternate them when needed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congraulations, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. You can certainly change the back at mid-roll. There should a "volet" to cover the hole and thus preventing to expose film to full day light. It's common practice to keep
more backs loaded with different films.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First impressions:

1- DANG it's heavy! Shocked

2- what a magnificent large piece of glass !

3- the viewfinder is unbelievably HUGE - I wish 35mm cameras were like that!
But even the best 35mm camera viewfinder can not be compared to this Shocked

I shot a test roll of expired Agfa Optima colour negative. Everything seems to have gone ok. It'll take a few days for the lab to process it, so tomorrow I will try with an Agfapan 100 that I will develop myself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my camera:

I have shot a roll of Agfapan 100. I am really eager to see.
Operating this camera is a dream. It's as easy as a 35mm SLR. Just a "little bit" heavier Wink
Changing film is a breeze, what a relief after the Pentacon 6.