Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

regarding ferndowncameras, page 2, thanks O_O
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: regarding ferndowncameras, page 2, thanks O_O Reply with quote

35mm & 24mm, f/2.8 or faster manual prime recommendation

hi guys, any suggestion? budget <50USD each only, so I'm pretty limited to "cheap but good" lenses like the helios 58mm series, million thanks in advance! Very Happy

Last edited by ashy on Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest the Vivitar 24/2.8, but you will be lucky to get one for that price. The only lens I know of in that range that will be cheaper is the Hanimex 24/2.8, I have this in PK mount but haven't tried it yet Smile

I think Martinsmith99 has had good results with the Ensinor too, but these are hard to find.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest the Mir-1B 2.8/37mm at that price. The Mir-24 is better but quite rare and maybe above your limit, as is the CZJ 2.4/35. The Takumar 3.5/35 is a great little lens too, but slower than you ask for. Pity you can't use Rokkor lenses.

For 24mm the choice is very limited. I think there is a 24mm Vivitar - I don't know about the quality but the Viv 2.8/28 (Komine) lens is superb for the price, usually around $20-$40. If you make sure any Viv lens you get has a serial number starting 22xxxx (Kiron) or 28xxxx (Komine) you can't go far wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had excellent results from the Super-Lentar 35/2.8 which is T-mount so it fits most cameras. I paid $5.00US for mine. They are made, IIRC, by Tokina. See Click here to see on Ebay for a similar model.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 35mm & 24mm, f/2.8 or faster manual prime recommenda Reply with quote

ashy wrote:
hi guys, any suggestion? budget <50USD each only, so I'm pretty limited to "cheap but good" lenses like the helios 58mm series, million thanks in advance! Very Happy

Hmm... if you were looking for a good and inexpensive 28mm, I'd say Yashica ML 28/2.8 (C/Y mount, ML designation essential). However, their 24mm and 35mm, while great, aren't cheap. Still, you may try to spot them.

Nikkor 35/2.8 is quite an average lens (average means 'good' here), and can be found rather inexpensively. In 24mm, Nikkor 24/2.8 is great in all designations; about as good as it gets in this focal length. Ai versions can be had for around $120, older pre-Ai can be found for much less.

The best value for money would probably be S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5, but this is not quite f/2.8.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica M42 lenses and some Vivitars can be really good and won't break the US$50 limit.

Sometimes you can find nice Zuikos for that, but I guess you will have to accept f2.8. Faster lenses are in most cases more expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
I'd suggest the Vivitar 24/2.8, but you will be lucky to get one for that price. The only lens I know of in that range that will be cheaper is the Hanimex 24/2.8, I have this in PK mount but haven't tried it yet Smile

I think Martinsmith99 has had good results with the Ensinor too, but these are hard to find.

That Vivitar can also be found as the Tokina 24mm f2.8. Also look out for the Carl Zeiss Jena 29mm f2.8 which performs about the same as the Tokina. None of them are particularly good lenses compared to the Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Distagon T*, which leaves them all for dead for sharpness and contrast, especially wide open.
f2.8 is'nt very fast though so I find myself reaching for my Nikon 35mm f1.4 AIS far more than the Zeiss. Wink

Last edited by DSG on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screw mount Yashicas are also very good, and tend to be cheaper... I have DX 35 which is very nice and has the A/M switch. The later DS or DS-M (this second is 'multicoated') lack the A/M switch but from my sampling are a fine series of lenses.

In general, I've noted two styles of 35mm generic brand lenses - the pretty good modern look, and the old fashioned look... which is which sometimes can only be found out by trying. The Tamron-F fixed mount I find to be old fashioned, while most Vivitars seem to be of the modern look. What I'm suggesting here is that you can get a handful of 35's at <$10 each, have fun testing them out, and sell or give away the ones you don't like. 35mm really is a commodity item, when bottom feeding Wink

24mm is new to me, because as mentioned above, even the cheap ones tend to be bid up due to crop dslrs and relative rarity of the focal length. I ended up buying a Nikon FE to get a Nikon F mount platform, just for the access to reasonably priced and plentiful wide angles.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Shrek wrote:

That Vivitar can also be found as the Tokina 24mm f2.8. Also look out for the Carl Zeiss Jena 29mm f2.8 which performs about the same as the Tokina. None of them are particularly good lenses compared to the Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Planar T*, which leaves them all for dead for sharpness and contrast, especially wide open.
f2.8 is'nt very fast though so I find myself reaching for my Nikon 35mm f1.4 AIS far more than the Zeiss. Wink

I've not been impressed with any Pentacon/CZJ 29/2.8 lens (and I've tried a fair few!!)...soft corners and distortion is common. The Vivitar 28/2.8 (Komine) and Tamron AD1 and AD2 models are far better.

But I'm talking 24mm here, and I don't think the Vivitar/Tokina can be beaten for price Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Cheap, good, and wide' is one of those 'any two from three' things, usually. The Yashica 28mm ML is one of the few to offer all. The 24mm ML is an exceptional lens, but you're unlikely to meet your budget unless you're exceptionally lucky. Likewise, the 35mm ML is a superb little lens, rarer than the 28 on the second-hand market, and can raise a corresponding price.

The Yashica M42 range of DX lenses, as has been remarked, is another worth seeking out, though my observations of late have been that others are seeking them out more often, with a consequential effect on prices. As I have most of the ML lenses, the M42 versions interest me less, but those I have are very good performers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 35mm & 24mm, f/2.8 or faster manual prime recommenda Reply with quote

ashy wrote:

How about buying only one of those two now, and the other later? That would allow you to get CZJ 35/2.4 Flektogon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

Something like this? ... sorry 17 minutes left as I post, but maybe an indication of what's around

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
If you make sure any Viv lens you get has a serial number starting 22xxxx (Kiron) or 28xxxx (Komine) you can't go far wrong.

I think it's safe to add the Tokina-made Vivitars to this list -- s/n 37...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
The screw mount Yashicas are also very good, and tend to be cheaper... I have DX 35 which is very nice and has the A/M switch. The later DS or DS-M (this second is 'multicoated') lack the A/M switch but from my sampling are a fine series of lenses.

Wrong information for the A/M Switch...

the Yashinon DS-M 2.8/24mm has also an A-M Switch... did have nearly the complete range from 24mm to 200mm Yashinon DS-M.
Only the 1.4/50mm DS-M lack the A/M Switch...

I am searching for the picture in archive for showing that and are going to post this later on.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys, thanks for all the input! I just won an auto-chinon 35mm f/2.8 off ebay an hour ago, found it with few minutes remaining, did a google search, found this http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=5 & went for it because the link's quite convincing, out of time to consult here too, hope it doesn't disappoint!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Carl Zeiss Jena 29mm f2.8

Shrek wrote:
I've not been impressed with any Pentacon/CZJ 29/2.8 lens (and I've tried a fair few!!)...soft corners and distortion is common.

Sorry guys, the 2.8/29 is no Zeiss design, the later Pentacon is based on the Meyer Görlitz 2.8/29

I had more than two handful of 2.8/29s - most of them crappy, really soft and degrading pictures.

This one is soft wide open, good at 4, very sharp from 5.6 down. See pictures: http://gallery.me.com/willibauer#100985

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
Nesster wrote:

the Yashinon DS-M 2.8/24mm has also an A-M Switch... did have nearly the complete range from 24mm to 200mm Yashinon DS-M.

I am searching for the picture in archive for showing that and are going to post this later on.

Cheers
Henry

I have a 28/2.8 DS which has an A/M switch but my "Auto" Yashinon DS 50/1.9 has no switch. So i think the Auto may give it away...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 24mm there is indeed quite little choice on a budget. Tamron Adaptall-2 24mm is quite nice, but may (or may not) exceed the budget. But if 28mm is enough, I agree that the Vivitar/Komine (28xx serial number) Auto Wide-Angle is great! Not only is it sharp, it also has pretty good bokeh, which is not very common with lenses this wide.

mflex-on wrote:
Sorry guys, the 2.8/29 is no Zeiss design, the later Pentacon is based on the Meyer Görlitz 2.8/29

I had more than two handful of 2.8/29s - most of them crappy, really soft and degrading pictures.

I have one of the Pentacon 29mm's. It's crap. The older Meyer-Optik Lydith / Pentacon 30mm is better, but still not very good (although it has interesting vintage character).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon is highly impacted on copy variation issue, most of them what I did try was at least good as than Vivitar or Takumar or Nikkor 28mm f3.5. I not suggest any cheap wide lens. Save a bit more money and buy a better one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I not suggest any cheap wide lens. Save a bit more money and buy a better one.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Attila wrote:
I not suggest any cheap wide lens. Save a bit more money and buy a better one.

+1

It depends - a little bit - on how you want to use the lens I think.

- The shorter the focal length the less important is wide aperture

- to get a sharp picture from corner to corner I think it is better to use f/8 than f/2.8 - there may some parts of the picture that are not so sharp because they are slightly oof - not a problem of the lens but of the picture composition and the use of the lens

- to make close ups with 3D effect lenses with max aperture of 2.8 oder 3.5 are fast enough with a wide lens of 28mm and less.

If you need fast aperture for low light situation you really need a better lens like Atilla or Orio do suppose. In situations I described above one of the better examples of the "crappy" 2.8/29 Meyer Orestegons or a "cheapbutslow" Takumar or Zuiko 3.5/28 will fit your needs too.

Last edited by mflex-on on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:11 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:

Cheers
Henry

That's great news - I didn't know this, as all the DS-M's I've seen or owned lack the switch. It's a really good series of lenses, often cheap.

Do post the picture when you find it - I'm eager to see!
ness

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might look at the Series E lenses from Nikon

The 35 f2.5 is cheap and pretty good. I think they only have a 28mm though, not a 24mm.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JESUS CHRIST, the Chinon 35mm f/2.8 I mentioned I bought off ebay yesterday is by ferndowncameras

http://forum.mflenses.com/ebay-seller-ferndowncameras-keith-rocks-new-outfit-t14855.html

is he really that bad Shocked where do all the feedbacks come from? what should I do now Shocked