Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenit-E
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Zenit-E Reply with quote

I bought this camera mostly for the Helios lens (14USD).
My ambition is not to start collecting cameras, but I couldn't help being a little curious on how the camera would perform.
It's in excellent shape and everything seem to work.
It could perhaps make sense to try it with film.

Does anyone have experience of this camera?
Would it be possible to find a manual in English to down load?
I think I have figured out most of the controls, but it would be fun to read a manual anyhow.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google is your friend http://www.google.be/search?q=zenit+E+manual

Beside, the controls are very basic ... no real need for a manual

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Should have checked that myself of course. Seems to be a rather common camera. And almost as solid as a Spotmatic.
This one smells a bit funny though. Maybe it belonged to a smoker
Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fine camera. Lacks the slow speeds, but most people don't even use them in typical handheld circumstances. If the curtains are tight, the shutter is generally accurate. That is just the nature of the mechanism. Focus screen is dark and a simple matte. If you're used to split-screens, it takes a little getting used to. My experience was the exact opposite (from a zenit to fujica). It is fine in typical circumstances. I have more mis-focused images from my fujica than I ever had with my zenit. The main breakdown point is the foam around the prism. Since the cameras are now upwards of 35 years old now usually the foam has deteriorated. There is a considerable gap around the reflex housing, so when the foam is gone, the light from the viewfinder leaks through. If you plan to use it, I recommend doing this, putting new lubricant over the gears, and painting the inside cover with a flat black paint. I've done this on every single zenit I own, which is nearly 14 now...

The helios gets more attention on this forum than any other lens. You are sure to come away with a positive opinion.

Last edited by themoleman342 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenit-E Reply with quote

Sven wrote:
I bought this camera mostly for the Helios lens (14USD).
My ambition is not to start collecting cameras, but I couldn't help being a little curious on how the camera would perform.
It's in excellent shape and everything seem to work.
It could perhaps make sense to try it with film.

Does anyone have experience of this camera?
Would it be possible to find a manual in English to down load?
I think I have figured out most of the controls, but it would be fun to read a manual anyhow.

I have many camera about same reason they are came with lens ... I did try some of them like Praktica FX , no real reason to use them , but it great fun to play with them. I have this one too, still untested I look forward your experience if curtain works you should get some nice captures due lens is excellent. I like older Zenit it has pretty cool design.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenit-E Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I like older Zenit it has pretty cool design.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
It is a fine camera. Lacks the slow speeds, but most people don't even use them in typical handheld circumstances. If the curtains are tight, the shutter is generally accurate. That is just the nature of the mechanism. Focus screen is dark and a simple matte. If you're used to split-screens, it takes a little getting used to. My experience was the exact opposite (from a zenit to fujica). It is fine in typical circumstances. I have more mis-focused images from my fujica than I ever had with my zenit. The main breakdown point is the foam around the prism. Since the cameras are now upwards of 35 years old now usually the foam has deteriorated. There is a considerable gap around the reflex housing, so when the foam is gone, the light from the viewfinder leaks through. If you plan to use it, I recommend doing this, putting new lubricant over the gears, and painting the inside cover with a flat black paint. I've done this on every single zenit I own, which is nearly 14 now...

The helios gets more attention on this forum than any other lens. You are sure to come away with a positive opinion.

Thanks for the advise. It looks pretty fine inside, but I shall look through it more in detail in the weekend. Could hardly aviod testing it with film now.
I have a Helios before so I know it's a fine lens. This one was in much better mehanical shape though, looks almost unused. My old one is rather worn and feels a bit flimsy in the focusing ring.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenit-E Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
Attila wrote:

+1

Agree with you guys. Rather simplistic square design. Supposed to be functional i guess. They didn't have CAD in these days.

Many times it seems to be a better deal to buy a lens with a camera attached to it. Must be that rear lens caps are expensive. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenit-E Reply with quote

Sven wrote:
supahmario wrote:
Attila wrote:

+1

Agree with you guys. Rather simplistic square design. Supposed to be functional i guess. They didn't have CAD in these days.

Many times it seems to be a better deal to buy a lens with a camera attached to it. Must be that rear lens caps are expensive. Smile

I bought some brand new stage hard to sell them for peanuts so my camera collection is growing Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenit-E Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I bought some brand new stage hard to sell them for peanuts so my camera collection is growing Wink

I guess the average "MFlenser" must have half a dozen Zenit (well, I have). Can't toss them in the bin, though. Nostalgia, I guess, my first SLR was a Zenit 11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenit-E Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
Attila wrote:

I guess the average "MFlenser" must have half a dozen Zenit (well, I have). Can't toss them in the bin, though. Nostalgia, I guess, my first SLR was a Zenit 11

Laughing Laughing Actually I have more Prakticas , but some Zenit too as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid I have about 30 or so now, Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
Afraid I have about 30 or so now, Very Happy

The cheapest rear cap ever made ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being reduced to a heavy lens cap or a bi-product for lens collectors the camera doesn't feel that exclusive any more.

I figured it could be worth a film anyhow, but I don't think I will get hooked on shooting film again. First thing I did after the first shot was trying to look at the display.
I imagine that 36 exp. will take me a while, but hopefully there will be something to show eventually.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to test the Helios separately. Seems to be quite ok.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven wrote:
Being reduced to a heavy lens cap or a bi-product for lens collectors the camera doesn't feel that exclusive any more.

Well, as I said, my first SLRS were Zenit (11 and then 12/Photosniper) and thus I don't regard them just as rear cap ...

But they are heavy, the mirror makes a loud sound, the viewfinder is dark ... Once you tried an Olympus OM or a Pentax ME, you don't want to come back.

You've got good results but as we know, that the lens (and the photographer Wink ) that counts. And Helios lens are good, nobody can deny it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my very first camera!
I still have it Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first SLR was a Practica which I don't have anymore. Under many years after that, Pentax ME was my camera of choice. I still have it but it's quite worn.
I will probably keep the Zenit since it's in such a good condition.
It's about as heavy as my D200 but maybe a bit more basic when it comes to functionality.
Smile
The shot I posted was the Helios from the Zenit on an DSLR. I'm still grinding my way through the 36 exp. in the Zenit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven wrote:
This one smells a bit funny though. Maybe it belonged to a smoker:)

Most Russian cameras smell "funny" - even after 30+ years. They were even more pungent when they were new-! I think it's the glue on the body covering or the cases that do it. And I once had a Soviet target pistol in a case that smelled much the same ... Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Sven wrote:
This one smells a bit funny though. Maybe it belonged to a smoker:)

Most Russian cameras smell "funny" - even after 30+ years. They were even more pungent when they were new-! I think it's the glue on the body covering or the cases that do it. And I once had a Soviet target pistol in a case that smelled much the same ... Embarassed

It's probably more to do with the way the leather was cured in vats of piss. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needed to know that Dave with 30 odd Zenits and cases! Thanks a lot mate Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of interesting knowledge can be picked up from this forum. Smile
At least this one came with only half the leather casing.

Whatever doubtful process the camera has gone through doesn't seems to apply to the lenses fortunately.

I'm handing in the first roll of film for developing tomorrow. Shall be interesting to se how well the shutter times and the focusing will work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got my roll of film developed.
Can't say that I'm totally enthusiastic about the result. The shutter times and light meter seem to work quite correctly so most of the exposures were in order.
But, as previously was pointed out in this thread the camera is probably leaking light. Many captures were washed out and generally dull.
The first one is a good example of that.
The other two are more normal. All are taken with the Sonnar 135.
This is my first film posting in this forum by the way. Don't think I will waste another roll on the Zenit. But maybe if I buy an old Nikon it could be worth a try again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, no reason to shoot more, but first try was fun isn't it ? You got pretty good result. I like RF and medium format cameras for film I like DSLR better than film SLR cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Yes, no reason to shoot more, but first try was fun isn't it ? You got pretty good result. I like RF and medium format cameras for film I like DSLR better than film SLR cameras.

It is a bit of a reminder of what can still be acieved with old stuff like this and no fancy electronics. Fun to test, and maybe a teaser to try medium fomat. My father probably still have some old cameras lying around.