Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Stitched IR skyline pano
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Stitched IR skyline pano Reply with quote

Here's my first really successful stitched pano. I tried Hugin a while back and managed to mess up what I was doing but I just had another go and found it really easy. The blending of the sky is amazing compared with the blotchy rubbish other programs have produced.

This is a simple four-frame pano, from an IR series shot with a Hoya filter and Tessar 80/2.8 on a Canon 5D. The red and blue channels have been swapped.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's an interesting result! Maybe the first IR pano I've ever seen. Any chance to show us a bigger version?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try again ...

.... well, it seems that every site I use either downsizes it or won't make it public.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the IR pano a lot, but sth about the colors disagrees with me. Vegetation usually gets white, but your palms have that greenish/teal hue also. Did you try other color schemes also?

Here is some interesting IR workflow in case that would interest you:

http://www.pbase.com/dlarson2/ir_work_flow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicely done, ... encourages me to try IR pano as well.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, uncommon view but I like it. It´s new, different.

Didn´t know Hugin and searched. At first I tought that it is the name of this town. Where is it ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I white-balanced on grass and the palms are actually a blue-green, so on the colour-swap they come out pink. After some reflection I realised that a cooling filter could reduce this ... but it's also worth remembering that palm trees are different from deciduous ones.

I've had another crack at it, adding a strong cooling filter, and here is the result:

Whether it is better or not is a matter of taste since colour in IR photos is all an illusion.

It's worth noting that I don't seem to get the famous black skies, whatever I do, and I wonder if latitude and climate have a major effect on the appearance of IR photos. Does air temperature affect IR?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf - it's the Hugin software for panorama stitching.

How odd that IR panos should be a novelty. It was one of the first things that I thought of doing with it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul for going the extra mile. I personally like the new one a bit better than the teal colored one, but as you say correctly, IR has no "color".

If you try to do IR in color a pass filter which transmits from about 650-680nm onwards gives quite good results, but if you aim for the famous "black sky", you would need a filter which cuts-on much later, like 750-800nm [B+W 093 would be one] (depending if you camera has some useful IR sensitivity left there; filter removal is a must usually).

Some filter graphs FYI (c) Shane Elen

B+W 093

B+W 092

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! That explains the skies then. I've got 665 (I think) on the altered camera and 720 on the Hoya.

The interesting thing is that I can stick the hoya on the front of the altered camera and still get fast shutter speeds. No doubt I could get the deep IR filter and use that too, allowing me to use the camera at all IR wavelengths without needing excessive shutter speeds (though, of course, the viewfinder becomes inoperative). That's an advantage to soft IR conversion that nobody seems to mention.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Try again ...

.... well, it seems that every site I use either downsizes it or won't make it public.

Paul, when I click on it, it upsizes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, good Smile