Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Old films, never been in the freezer?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Old films, never been in the freezer? Reply with quote

I can get the following films. The seller admits that these have never been in a freezer, but they were stored in a temperature controlled darkroom (a room inside a room). Is this something worth getting, for 25 euros?

120 format rollfilms
- Unnamed but very old, 19x
- 34x Fujichrome Provia 100, 1996-1997
- 8x Fujichrome Velvia (50??) 1997

35mm films
- 1x Agfachrome CTY 100i
- 1x Kodak Elite II 100
- 3x Kodak Elite 100
- 1x Kodak Ektachrome ESD (Slide Duplicating Film)
- 1x Kodak Ektachrome 64T

On a side note: how bad is some discoloration? I guess this can easily be solved in postprocessing (when I have scanned the transparencies)?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For €25, I'd chance it.
The most interesting is the Provia and at the very least, you'd be able to punt them back out on ebay for much more to the old film Holga crowd.
If they've been kept at a stable cool temp for a decade, they'll probably be ok. Unexposed film is remarkably good that way, but exposed film can deteriorate badly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already used an Ektachrome slides film, end of July '97, probably not stored in freezer, no exposure problems, maybe a slight loss of saturation, but I'm not sure Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are too old.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try it, Attila, I have just bought them Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Let's try it, Attila, I have just bought them Wink

Geez! Cool ! I cross my fingers!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I got them! I think the seller got confused while counting, because at least 15 of the films are 120 format Fujuchrome Velvia 50 from 1997. Nevertheless, I'm happy if the films do not have a colour cast Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to buy them too. Smile