Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Should I change from Pentax K100d to K10?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Should I change from Pentax K100d to K10? Reply with quote

I have the chance to buy a used Pentax K10 at a fair price, and with a guarantee, from a photo shop I know and trust. I'm generally satisfied with my K100d Super, except from the small viewfinder which I find annoying particularly with MF lenses. It's bright enough, but the apparent image is Oh-so-Small compared with my film SLRs. Having tried the K10 in the shop, the viewfinder looks like a significant improvement.

Even at a 'fair' price, the K10 is not cheap and I could extend my lens outfit considerably with the money involved. I wonder if any members have made the same change, and what their observations might be.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I change from Pentax K100d to K10? Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
I have the chance to buy a used Pentax K10 at a fair price, and with a guarantee, from a photo shop I know and trust. I'm generally satisfied with my K100d Super, except from the small viewfinder which I find annoying particularly with MF lenses. It's bright enough, but the apparent image is Oh-so-Small compared with my film SLRs. Having tried the K10 in the shop, the viewfinder looks like a significant improvement.

Even at a 'fair' price, the K10 is not cheap and I could extend my lens outfit considerably with the money involved. I wonder if any members have made the same change, and what their observations might be.

Tis an upgrade. Never owned the k100d. But just feel the difference in your hands! Wink Its bigger, its heavier and it is a proper battery. And I assume it has less exposures then your current camera. Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the K100D Super and the K10D (I now have the K20D) and the difference between the K100D and K10D is night and day. For instance the K10D is a much faster camera (picture taking and reviewing): you'll never have the impression that the camera is slowing you down. Also, I like it moer because of the two control wheels (Pentax Hyper Program and Hyper Manual anyone?)

I'd choose the K10D but it has to be said that the high-ISO capabilities of the K100D are better.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with spotmatic on this one... If you enjoy usable hi iso shots... then I would stay with the K100 or move to the K20d... If they are not that important to you the K10d is a real upgrade from the K100d...

I had the K100d and chose it for the Hi iso over the K10d, but when the K20 came out I upgraded, and the K10/K20 bodies are so much more user friendly... especially for mf lenses. Better vf as you know and the controls in M mode are user friendly and selectable...

The K20 has a couple things that weigh heavy in its favor IMO. Adjustable ff/bf for AF lenses, user accessible pixel mapping for stuck pixels... and a really nice sensor for cropping, plus usable Hi ISO again.

But the K10 body / user interface is an improvement over the K100d. If you plan to keep your K100d use it as your low-light hi iso shooter and the k10 for everything else.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: K100 to K10 Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for these helpful observations - I think I'll invest in the K10D.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: K100 to K10 Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Thanks to everyone for these helpful observations - I think I'll invest in the K10D.

I'm sure you'll like it.
I must say though, that the changeover from Canon to Pentax was a bit of a control faff. One thing I really like about the 10D is the control layout - Canon really nailed it for intuitive use. Pentax layout is fine too, but it's taken me a while to get used to it after thousands of Canon shots.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for upgrade I had a K100d and got a Samsung GX-10 and its a much better camera and a lot easier to control, without having to dive into the menu for settings. Also far more weather proof and better sealed, but heavier and bigger. Dont get me wrong I really liked the K100d but the K10d/GX-10 is a lot better Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Pentax upgrade Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the helpful observations - I've actually collected the K10D now but I'm going to be working away during the coming week, so getting familiarised will have to wait for a few days!

It certainly feels much more solid, and the viewfinder is a vast improvement. So thanks again to you all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the K10D is not too big/heavy for you:
Try to match the BG:
I found the handling much better - not only for vertical shots but for bigger lenses too.

The better viewfinder is resulting from the prism instead of the K-100-D's-pentamirror-viewfinder!