Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I want to go for Film - Help needed.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: I want to go for Film - Help needed. Reply with quote

Hi everybody ...

After exploring for two years the digital camera world, I feel ready to take a "real" camera Wink

I would be greatful for your help !

what I would like to have:

(1) mostly I shoot landscapes
- which camera is suitabel for me?
- which (different) film (rolls ?) I have to buy?

(2) I want to be able to use my current lens collection (I don't want to go for medium format at the moment):

- manual PK and M42 lenses
- is there a suitabe PK camera which also supports the
PK-A lenses (half-automatics)

(3) I also want to dive into the B&W world, which film types are good for beginning.

(4) do I need a lightroom and chemicals and paper? Embarassed Embarassed which ?

Thanks in advance !

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to go for Film - Help needed. Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:

(1) mostly I shoot landscapes
- which camera is suitabel for me?
- which (different) film (rolls ?) I have to buy?

Since you want to use your current lenses (as is sensible and understandable), you should probably get an old Pentax K-mount film body (and/or a cheap M42-mount body). I don't personally know about K-mount cameras, but if you want to get started on the cheap, you could get, for example, a Fujica body for M42.

For film, assuming you want to shoot colour, Fuji Velvia is a classic for landscapes. There's also the new Kodak Ektar 100, which looks to be excellent (but I haven't tried it yet).

tobbsman wrote:

(3) I also want to dive into the B&W world, which film types are good for beginning.

I used Agfa APX 100 to get started; it's very cheap in packs of 10 rolls and quite nice overall. You could also try out the various Ilford black and white films to see if you like one of those better; they have a great selection.

tobbsman wrote:

(4) do I need a lightroom and chemicals and paper?

To develop film to a negative yourself you don't need a darkroom. (To make prints, you practically do need a darkroom, in my opinion, although in theory it is possible to devise ways to do without.)

To develop black and white film to negatives (for scanning) you need at least:

1) Developer (I suggest Kodak HC-110; lasts forever and very easy and economical to use when diluted 1:63 or 1:127)

2) Fixer (I use Ilford's fixer myself, but it doesn't really matter)

3) A developing tank with reels (I recommend a Jobo 1510 or 1520; good price/performance, readily available used on eBay)

4) A measuring syringe (e.g. 10 ml) for the developer concentrate

5) A graduate for measuring water and fixer (e.g. 250 ml)

6) 2 bottles or flasks for storing the fixer solution and mixing the developer into (I find 500 ml flasks most convenient for this; the diluted fixer keeps better if there's not too much air in the container so I mix about 500 ml at once, which suffices for developing two rolls of 135 at once)

You may optionally want a thermometer, extra bottles for storing the developer and fixer concentrate (e.g. accordion type, to remove extra air), and a changing bag (for loading film into the tank, which must be done in darkness, but you can also use a dark windowless closet). Some people also use extra chemicals like a stop bath, but I recommend starting with just the basics and using water for a stop bath.

For developing prints you additionally need paper developer, trays large enough for your prints, an enlarger (small format contact prints are not necessarily very sensible, since they'd be no larger than the negative =), etc.

Personally I prefer to scan negatives (black and white developed by myself, colour in a lab) and print with an inkjet. So you'll probably also want a scanner capable of scanning film (not necessarily a dedicated film scanner, many modern flatbeds are quite good at this).

Last edited by Arkku on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im using Fomapan 100/400 and for 120 film I use Efke 50. Excellent films considering the price I think.

The Fomapan 100/400 cost me 17€ for 10 rolls. Compared to Kodak or Ilford films that cost me 40€. And they are plenty good for that price.

At the start Id rather spend 40€ for 20 films to practice development etc then 10. Simple as that.

There are alot of PK-A cameras. The MZ series for example from Pentax. That are deadcheap.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of options in the 35mm format, but if you want to explore medium format then the Pentax 6x7 is the ultimate landscape shooter's camera IMHO! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku made a good summary. I just wanted to add to equipment list a good pair of scissors and a bottle opener (the type for crown caps) or a film retriever to get the film out of its canister. I advice also a thermometer since you need to be consistent in processing in order to get consistent results. Regarding film brand and type just pick up one to begin with (100 asa is generally suitable for landscape) along with one type of developer and stick with them until you're completely accustomed with the process.
(Let's say FP4+ and ID-11/D76). At some point you may feel the necessity to experiment something different and that'll be the moment for eventually move to other combinations.
Regards, Marty.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R09 or Rodinal is also economical and easy to handle. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias,

Let me throw in my two cents' worth.

Like the other correspondents I think you should get a camera with K-mount to make the most out of your prior investments in lenses; certainly a camera with M42 mount can take some of your lenses, but it would not be able to take your K-mount lenses.

It makes me wonder why you would need a camera that takes advantage of the PK-A coupling; it would only allow the exposure automation set the aperture, such as Program mode, but if you are using the M42 lenses via an adapter, you will lose it anyway, and besides, the camera would be battery dependent.

If you want to go that route, the Pentax Super A would be a fair choice; take your time to buy selectively to get a good one at a sensible price.

But if you are doing landscape mostly, I think you can live with a fully mechanical, manual camera quite happily. The Pentax K1000 is of course the choice everyone would recommend, its reputation precedes itself to the point that the higher spec versions, the KX and KM, became under-valued. As usual, take your time and shop around for a nice example.

In that sense, other fully mechanical K-mount cameras might also be a valid choice too: the Ricoh XR-1, KR-5 (including the Ricoh-built originals and the Cosina-built "compact" versions) and lots of other Cosina-built models are quite inexpensive and relatively plentiful.

If you want to get into B/W, my thought is to start with a general purpose film which you can obtain easily at sensible price, and use a developer which is of the "one shot" type, such as Rodinal/R08 for consistancy. Stick to one film, one developer, one processing method, until you know the characteristics like the back of your hand, then you can start experimenting, changing one variable at a time.

It would definitely be helpful if you have a darkroom, or access to one, but if you are just going to process the films, a daylight tank and a changing bag would be quite sufficient, and most of the utensils can be improvised cheaply. Just make sure you invest in a decent quality thermometer, and look after it well; use it all the time to ensure consistancy.

Hope this is of some help.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tag Tobias,

For the camera, the Pentax Super-A/Program Plus feature A lens support, since they were the first cameras to offer it. With an M42 adapter, you will lose auto stopdown. It still seems that the older cameras do better with M42 stopdown than the new models.

Although, the K and M series are great manual cameras and their secret is the little lever just inside the lens mount that rotates when you move the aperture ring on the lens. There is something about it which makes the cameras meter great...nothing we have experienced on a Pentax digital body, unfortunately.

In the end, you don't "need" A lens control if you don't mind moving the aperture ring yourself. Your A lenses will still control the little ring inside K and M series cameras. Vintage cameras are just a light tight box...some with more features than others. I personally really enjoy the viewfinder and firm controls of the Pentax MX Smile

Grüsse,
Ryan

PS: The good part about film is that you can use...anything! I would agree to start with Foma for B&W Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For B&W I would truly recommend starting with a Kodak Tri-X or T-Max. They are probably the most forgiving and versatile films available and are still the standard for most photo classes. Are there finer grain films? Yes. Are there ones that capture shadow detail better? Yes. Are there ones that have a greater range of tone? Yes. But until you decide what is important to you, I believe Tri-X and T-max perform strongly in all these areas. Also, and this is the big one, there is TONS of information on them for a beginner. Unless your shooting an incredible amount of film, a dollar extra a roll isn't much.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a Pentax K mount camera to use A lenses on I'd recommend a ME Super, widely available for cheap, great viewfinder, A and M mode.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For landscapes essential to shoot on slides bigger format surely better than 35mm. Many old folders and TLRs provide superb image quality on large size on acceptable or low price. First step I think look around who will develop your slides at your area. Good local lab is essential, you will not shoot a lot on film so self development not economical.

For landscape photography don't need arsenal of lenses so a fixed lens medium camera like Yashica MAT 124G or Bessa RF 6x9 folder more than enough. They cost is not too high especially if compare easier to scan them and provide far better quality than most 35mm format.

For landscapes select Velvia 50 or Provia 100 if you wold save on film costs , try to get expired films from trusted sources and put them into freezer. A cold stored film after expiration date works well for years.

Buy a sturdy tripod if you don't have any yet. At low ISO like 50 ISO a good tripod is a must have equipment. Shoot always at least at F8 or slower aperture.

Buy any PK body + a PK-M42 adapter for your gears I am very happy with internal light meters they are perform well even with slides.

I have a Pentax MX body + M42 adapter very nice trustworthy camera , but I think any Chinon just same good.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342,

I agree with you that Tri-X can be forgiving, but I beg to differ regarding T-max.

I must admit being a bit of a dinosaur, but my recommendation would be more like a film of ISO 100˚ or 125˚, for the extra headroom. Say, under bright sunshine, with an ISO 400˚ film, you're pretty much stuck with big depth of field and fast shutter speed, without much leeway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I must admit being a bit of a dinosaur, but my recommendation would be more like a film of ISO 100˚ or 125˚, for the extra headroom. Say, under bright sunshine, with an ISO 400˚ film, you're pretty much stuck with big depth of field and fast shutter speed, without much leeway.

But the same can be said for an indoor shot. With 100 you're stuck using wide open apertures or shutter speeds that guarantees at least some motion blur when hand-held. In my experience, while the settings may not be exactly what I want, the shot is always possible with 400 speed film while with 100, sometimes it just can't happen (without some extra equipment that is).

Edit: But I guess since he mostly does landscapes, which is a whole other art with B&W, a 100 or 125 would be more agreeable certainly.

I usually have two cameras, if not four (for color), with me at all times. 100/400 combo in both kinds. I know this isn't a option with everybody, but my zenits are compact, cheap, plentiful, and reliable so quick interchange is a huge advantage.

Last edited by themoleman342 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
For landscapes essential to shoot on slides bigger format surely better than 35mm. Many old folders and TLRs provide superb image quality on large size on acceptable or low price.

This is certainly true, but since the OP already has a nice set of small format lenses, I would still recommend starting with those. Another big advantage is the ability to shoot many more pictures per roll, which allows for trying out different things while learning (e.g. bracketing exposure while learning to know how the film works in different conditions, testing filters with black and white, etc).

However, it is a good point that one probably will want to move to a larger format at some point, so one might wish to choose a developing tank large enough for 120 (e.g. the Jobo 1520 suffices, but 1510 doesn't).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
... Buy any PK body + a PK-M42 adapter for your gears I am very happy with internal light meters they are perform well even with slides. ...

+1

( I think he means a M42-PK adapter, for M42 lens to PK body. The genuine Pentax adapter is tiny and works very well. )

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
Attila wrote:
... Buy any PK body + a PK-M42 adapter for your gears I am very happy with internal light meters they are perform well even with slides. ...

+1

( I think he means a M42-PK adapter, for M42 lens to PK body. The genuine Pentax adapter is tiny and works very well. )

Yes, thank you for fixing. M42 lens to PK body.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias, I have to put in a word for the Pentax K2, the top of the line of the K-range cameras. It's fairly rare because it only had a short production run before the M-range was introduced, but it really is worth considering. Unlike any of the other K and M-range cameras (apart from the expensive LX) it has mirror lock-up and a DOF preview button, plus it has better metering and an electronic vertical-run metal shutter, as on later cameras. It takes two common SR44 batteries and the shutter will still fire at 1/1000, X (1/125) and B if they run down. Best of all, it's the most solid and clicky camera I've ever used. There is also the K2 DMD with data back and motor drive linkage but it's even rarer.

One word of warning about the K1000 if you're considering that - production of these continued right up to 1997, the later ones being assembled in China. These had a number of plastic body parts, including the top cover, which are prone to breakage.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for this fast and detailed commenting!!!!

I will need to read and think through all this information which will need also some time, so I will be back for commenting in a while ...

Cheers
Tobbs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any comment to your inquisition are based on pure preference.

You will find many different preferences.

Let me offer another.

Chinon CE-4s. This is a PK mount and built like a tank. You will find that this camera will hanndle almost all of your shooting needs.

I agree with Atilla on the 50 ISO Velvia for landscape shots. This film can't be beat... Very Happy

Can we still find it? Shocked

Last edited by spiralcity on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobbsman,

If you're city has a decent selection of used book stores, if I were in your position, I would look through their photography sections. You should be able to find books that answer many questions with regards to darkroom technique, as well as general photo technique. And since these are older books, chances are that they will all be teaching the skills from a film perspective.

You've received very useful advice from the folks here, but it is always nice to have a reference library, I have found.

Regarding favorite Pentax cameras -- the K2 is not the only K-series Pentax with MLU. The KX has MLU, plus match needle metering to boot. It is my personal favorite K-series Pentax. Like the K2, the KX also came in a motor-drive version.

Best,
Michael